The Student Room Group

I don’t understand anything in my course at uni

So i don’t know what to do. Here’s some background…

I’ve always loved science especially chemistry…At least that’s what i thought. In GCSE i loved chemistry and did okay in general not the best but i wasn’t able to take my exams because of covid so i got a low predicted grade like 5.

Wasn’t able to do science at Sixth Form cause i needed a grade 6 so i did other A levels.

I decided to take a science foundation year since i felt like i was missing out in not studying science and i passed the foundation year.

Now i got into a Chemistry degree at another uni but I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. In the first week i was like okay this is not bad, its hard but doable. Now it’s middle of November and i regret ever choosing Chemistry. I hate the lab sessions, the calculations, all the modules are hard and boring. Its not what i expected at all.

I cant concentrate in lectures. 99% of the time i zone out and when i do listen it just sounds like a bunch of gibberish with terminology i dont know being thrown around. What makes it worse is that all the lectures expect you to know the basics of A level chemistry which i didn’t do.

I feel stuck. I don’t know what to do. I cant change uni cause I’ve done that already. It may be too late to change courses and even if i do i would have to take first year again which i cant do because SFE may not cover the extra year . Plus i cant drop out of uni cause I’ll be a disappointment to my whole family.

Any ideas of what i should do?
Original post by unistudentqga

I’ve always loved science especially chemistry…At least that’s what i thought. In GCSE i loved chemistry and did okay in general not the best but i wasn’t able to take my exams because of covid so i got a low predicted grade like 5.

Wasn’t able to do science at Sixth Form cause i needed a grade 6 so i did other A levels.

I decided to take a science foundation year since i felt like i was missing out in not studying science and i passed the foundation year.

Now i got into a Chemistry degree at another uni but I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. In the first week i was like okay this is not bad, its hard but doable. Now it’s middle of November and i regret ever choosing Chemistry. I hate the lab sessions, the calculations, all the modules are hard and boring. Its not what i expected at all.

I cant concentrate in lectures. 99% of the time i zone out and when i do listen it just sounds like a bunch of gibberish with terminology i dont know being thrown around. What makes it worse is that all the lectures expect you to know the basics of A level chemistry which i didn’t do.

I feel stuck. I don’t know what to do. I cant change uni cause I’ve done that already. It may be too late to change courses and even if i do i would have to take first year again which i cant do because SFE may not cover the extra year . Plus i cant drop out of uni cause I’ll be a disappointment to my whole family.

Hi @unistudentqga

I am very sorry to hear that you are going through this.

I understand that you are quite limited when it comes to options due to a lack of funding.

I would strongly suggest that you talk to someone at university, whether that be your lecturers or a careers adviser. Sometimes it is possible to apply for an extra year of funding if you can prove any extenuating circumstances that would mean you would really benefit from an extra year of funding. In your case, it would mean that you can change courses and complete another degree. It definitely worth looking into.

Another option of course is to stay on your current course but really work hard to understand some of those basics you would have learnt during A Level Chemistry. Of course, that is much easier said than done. It would be very stressful to try and teach yourself A Level Chemistry AND get through university. But it really depends on how big you think your gap in knowledge is and how realistic it would be for you to fill that gap and do well in your degree.

I noticed that you are also worried about what your family might think. I would strongly encourage you to talk to your family about your situation if you feel comfortable doing that. It would probably put you in a worse situation, financially and mentally, if you continue further and fail further down the line. This is something your family should understand.

I wish you all the best and I hope you can find some sort of a solution soon!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Do you have any interest in the healthcare professions? If you do, when it comes to funding, any previous study is disregarded so you could be fully funded for one of the following degree courses:

Dental hygiene (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
Dental therapy (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
Dental hygiene and dental therapy (Joint or dual honours)
Dietetics
Dietetics and nutrition*
Midwifery (Degree Level)
Nursing (Degree Level)
Nursing and social work** (Dual honours)
Occupational therapy
Operating department practice (Degree or diploma level)
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Prosthetics and Orthotics
Radiography
Radiotherapy
Speech and language therapy

I'd recommend reaching out to your personal tutor and discuss with them what you are finding challenging and what your options are. That's what they are there for and they can help signpost things you may not have considered before and such.

I can sympathise with the challenges of being on a degree where you don't have the requisite background for it (been there...also been in almost the exact situation with the student finance and having done a foundation year previously elsewhere etc...). Your main options really are probably either a) finding out how you can work to bring your knowledge up to scratch and being able to engage with the course or b) looking at what alternatives you have to that course.

As noted above, previous study is not considered for exception courses for full-time study. However it's worth also being aware that part-time study has a separate calculation "pot" and so previous full time study should not affect applications for funding for part-time study if you have not achieved a qualification as yet from your current studies. There is also the option of degree apprenticeships where the funding matters are a non-factor :smile:

But as above, in the first instance, set up a meeting with your personal tutor urgently and talk it through with them, what your thoughts are about the current situation and what you think your options may be and see what they advise or recommend. You can then see where you can go from there in view of the above!
Reply 4
Sorry for what you are undergoing. Which subjects are you taking? I might be of great help to you. I help stuck students in completing assignments to obtain good grades.

Hi there

I am really sorry to hear you are having a hard time, uni can be really difficult.

I would strongly recommend you have a conversation with someone at your university whether it's a lecturer or someone within the wellbeing service, they will likely be able to give you the best advice.

I am sure there are lots of options for you, try not to worry!

Ellen
Y4 Med student
Uni of Sunderland

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending