The Student Room Group

If you could chose your gender and sex before you were born, which would you pick?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marky Mark
Your poll is public so I had to vote "other", naturally.

and everything else.

As a girl I don't have to even find a career I can just bag myself a husband and start building a nuclear family where I'm not even expected to work.

You're acting like its a walk in the park,childbirth is horrific.
The after effects on your body from childbirth can be horrific.If your husband becomes redundant and you two divorce,other men would not be interested in stepping in and finally menopause,
Yes the courts are in your favor but still a womans clock ticks at a faster rate
(edited 9 years ago)
I would chose to be a female. Whilst things seem to be 10* more difficult then it is being a man, I feel like my life would be a little easier being female.
Plus, I have a cousin who looks like me in female form, and she doesn't look that bad (same nose, glasses, similar height).
Straight white male.

Why? Why would I want to be anybody but myself.
Original post by Rakas21
Straight white male.

Why? Why would I want to be anybody but myself.

That privilege
Original post by Blue_Mason
The after effects on your body from childbirth can be horrific.If your husband becomes redundant and you two divorce,other men would not be interested in stepping in.
Yes the courts are in your favor but still

Childbirth is not as horrific as some women would have us believe what with the advancements in modern medicine. And let's not forget the magical epidural.

Divorce is worse for the husband than the woman involved in most cases.

I still think that being a female is much easier. Even if you worked it still be easier.
Reply 25
The after effects on your body from childbirth can be horrific.If your husband becomes redundant and you two divorce,other men would not be interested in stepping in and finally menopause,
Yes the courts are in your favor but still a womans clock ticks at a faster rate

Due to our higher quantity of testosterone, a man's body burns out quicker than a woman's. That's probably why the list of 10 oldest people ever is just women.

The oldest man ever lived to 116 years, 54 days. The 10th entry to oldest people ever is a woman who is still alive. She's 116 years and 79 days. She oldest person ever lived to 122 years 164 days.

[[Please note these are verified ages, there's a story about a Mexican woman believed to be 127 but her birth certificate was burnt during the Mexican Revolution of 1910 to 1917]]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Marky Mark
Childbirth is not as horrific as some women would have us believe what with the advancements in modern medicine. And let's not forget the magical epidural.

Divorce is worse for the husband than the woman involved in most cases.

I still think that being a female is much easier. Even if you worked it still be easier.

But still that nine month period.
Only if the the ex husband was careless
Its much harder growing up as teenage girl,being a woman is tough
But still that nine month period.
Only if the the ex husband was careless
Its much harder growing up as teenage girl,being a woman is tough

:lol:
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Due to our higher quantity of testosterone, a man's body burns out quicker than a woman's. That's probably why the list of 10 oldest people ever is just women.

The oldest man ever lived to 116 years, 54 days. The 10th entry to oldest people ever is a woman who is still alive. She's 116 years and 79 days. She oldest person ever lived to 122 years 164 days.

Yeah women tend to live longer, but on average women physically age faster then men.
Why do you think women are quicker to settle down
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
**** being a woman lol:

Periods
Pregnancy
Menopause
Significantly more likely rape target
Having to wear make-up

Who wants that?

**** being a guy lol:

Wet dreams
Die earlier
Significantly more fight target in clubs/bars
If your ugly there's nothing you can do
Always having to initiate dates
Reply 30
Yeah women tend to live longer, but on average women physically age faster then men.
Why do you think women are quicker to settle down

I suppose in the sense of raising a family and giving birth you only have till about 30 until complication risk increase dramatically. And I also suppose that after the menopause the body starts to give up because it's done what it needed to for reproduction, whereas a man's body just has to produce sperm which is hardly a toll on the body.

Then there's also the pressure of having to raise a family due to societal pressures such as "Oh you'll want a baby when you're older!" "When you're older your maternal instincts kick in!", making them think that they'll regret not having children before it's 'too late'.

I suppose like that, yeah.
Original post by i-love-coffee
**** being a guy lol:

Wet dreams
Die earlier

You only have wet dreams if you don't masturbate or have sex, and pretty much every man over 13 does one of them. Also, wet dreams aren't painful or anything...? Just a patch on the bed.

Most of the factors making men 'die earlier' are lifestyle factors, not genetic. However, there is a certain level of genetics involved, you're right.

Well you're only really going to get into a fight if you initiate one / actually are inclined to fight so...

If you're ugly as a woman there is nothing you can do either...?

I am fine initiating dates and this is changing in the modern era anyway.
Aren't gender and sex the same thing?
You only have wet dreams if you don't masturbate or have sex, and pretty much every man over 13 does one of them. Also, wet dreams aren't painful or anything...? Just a patch on the bed.

periods aren't particularly painful either. but i think wet dreams are just as gross.

Most of the factors making men 'die earlier' are lifestyle factors, not genetic. However, there is a certain level of genetics involved, you're right.

Well you're only really going to get into a fight if you initiate one / actually are inclined to fight so...

so many boys start fights with other boys for no reason in clubs.

make up works wonders on some girls.

mm ok.

Anyway, i did mean my comment to be a bit of a joke and not serious. I just thought the original post was funny that those were reasons to not be a women when they are easily written about a man. Not serious :smile: Not actually trying to debate whether one is better or not.
Male, everything about being a man, or most things anyway, just appeal to me more than living as a woman. Also, my life's pretty good as a male right now so I have no reason to complain or wish otherwise.
Reply 35
Original post by Eboracum
Aren't gender and sex the same thing?

Only if you consider the mind and the body to be the same thing :smile:

I have seen make up do wonders to a women's face.
Women have cheat codes when it comes to appearance
periods aren't particularly painful either. but i think wet dreams are just as gross.

so many boys start fights with other boys for no reason in clubs.
make up works wonders on some girls.

mm ok.

Anyway, i did mean my comment to be a bit of a joke and not serious. I just thought the original post was funny that those were reasons to not be a women when they are easily written about a man. Not serious :smile: Not actually trying to debate whether one is better or not.

I know the original post was meant as a joke but then I kinda got sucked into it when you replied lol
Boy

Heaven just loves ya
**** being a guy lol:

Wet dreams
Die earlier

This post is offensive. Typical Feminazi nonsense from somebody who is a male version of misogynist. And then people like you wonder why so many men are opposed to Feminism. I won't respond as I'm not a misogynist.

Quick Reply

Latest