The Student Room Group

Bournemouth University vs Arts University Bournemouth

I know BU is supposed to be great for animation, but how does AUB compare to it? I hear a lot about BU animation, but not much about AUB, so I wonder what its like and how they compare. I enjoy 2D animation more than 3D and my dream would be to have a job it in 2D, so AUB would be better in that way because they do 2D animation, but BU is known for being one of the best places for animation in the world, so could have better job prospects, so I'm not sure what to do :confused:
Reply 1
You should visit both; they are both good places to study. Speaking as an outsider of both institutions, having seen a lot of the work of both of them I could loosely pigeon-hole them into two broad categories - BU is much more 3D/VFX/ technically orientated/programming based, whereas AUB is much more of the artistic side of animation (design, concepts, cartoons, character animation). However there are cross overs in both camps :smile: If you only want to do 2D, you probably won't enjoy three years of 3D animation... although you should at least try a program like Maya out before making that decision, I've known students start on my 2D Animation course and we make them learn some 3D and they discover a hidden talent for it, so don't discount it until you've had a go. You can get Maya for free (as a student) from http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all

Try Maya for a month; if you hate it, then you know what to do :smile:
I've Visited BU already, and I'm hoping to visit AUB soon, so hopefully I'll be able to compare them. I'll try Maya then, and see what I think off it :smile:

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest