The Student Room Group

Last minute deciding i want to take a gap year

Hello, I have just finished year 13 and am waiting for my results on Aug 17th, i applied for UCL, Kingston and bournemouth, UCL and Kingston declined my offer because i didn’t have enough in my portfolio, however since year 12, when i sent my portfolio off, my work is strong and there is a lot of it, I have done many projects and have a lot to show. Ideally I would like to take a gap year to reapply if i get my predicted grades of ABB, I accepted the offer to bournemouth but the closer it gets I realise i’m not sure I want to go there, would I be able to take a gap year and how do I apply for university once i’m out of school and don’t have my teacher reference? is it possible?
I also need to use the gap year to save as my student loan doesn’t even cover my rent.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by belo3o
Hello, I have just finished year 13 and am waiting for my results on Aug 17th, i applied for UCL, Kingston and bournemouth, UCL and Kingston declined my offer because i didn’t have enough in my portfolio, however since year 12, when i sent my portfolio off, my work is strong and there is a lot of it, I have done many projects and have a lot to show. Ideally I would like to take a gap year to reapply if i get my predicted grades of ABB, I accepted the offer to bournemouth but the closer it gets I realise i’m not sure I want to go there, would I be able to take a gap year and how do I apply for university once i’m out of school and don’t have my teacher reference? is it possible?
I also need to use the gap year to save as my student loan doesn’t even cover my rent.

I would suggest you hang on to see what grades you get - if you don't get the grades you're hoping for then you might need to review. If you don't want to go to Bournemouth have you looked at what courses might be available to you in Clearing?

Assuming you're applying for Fine Art then it's worth pointing out that in most years UCL will only make ~20 offers to the over 400 applications - so it's an extremely long shot to reapply there. And the accommodation and living costs in London or Kingston is likely to be much higher than you're looking at in Bournemouth :frown:

Do you have a plan for what you would do in your gap year? Most people applying for the most competitive Fine Art degrees will take a FAD (Foundation Diploma in Art & Design) after their A levels and before their BA. Which is also a chance to explore different creative options as well. There's a FAQ about FAD courses here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684
Original post by PQ
I would suggest you hang on to see what grades you get - if you don't get the grades you're hoping for then you might need to review. If you don't want to go to Bournemouth have you looked at what courses might be available to you in Clearing?

Assuming you're applying for Fine Art then it's worth pointing out that in most years UCL will only make ~20 offers to the over 400 applications - so it's an extremely long shot to reapply there. And the accommodation and living costs in London or Kingston is likely to be much higher than you're looking at in Bournemouth :frown:

Do you have a plan for what you would do in your gap year? Most people applying for the most competitive Fine Art degrees will take a FAD (Foundation Diploma in Art & Design) after their A levels and before their BA. Which is also a chance to explore different creative options as well. There's a FAQ about FAD courses here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending