The Student Room Group

IB maths studies or standard level??? help

I am a new ib student and would like to know how hard exactly is the ib maths at standard level: I like maths and got an A for both maths and statistics at GCSE, but my new teacher is trying to make me think that it would be too difficult for me due to the pace of the course, and I am constently told by my teachers that it's a very challenging course...
But what if I wanna read medicine at uni? Would I be at the same level as applicants who have done A level maths, or would they have an advantage over me, if I just do maths studies????
PLZ help, I just have 3 days to make up my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol my friend got A* in gcse and is bored out her ass in maths studies. Maths stdies is made for those students doing IB who are basically rubbish at maths. methods gives u the skills u need for the subjects that require maths knowledge. if ur doing physics for example its pretty much a required for u to take methods, at my school anyway. on the other hand, both appear as SL on ur IBO sheet, so i spose in that respect it doesnt matter, and when u apply for uni i think it will only be SL that the admissions tutor sees. although in ur personal statement u could add that u take the methods version.

overall i think methods is for those who's other subjects would benefit from a greater knowledge of maths then taht provided by the studies course.
Reply 2
Your IB Transcript does differentiate between Studies and Methods. The difference between the two is not really that big.

Studies goes further into statistics and 3D Geometry/Trigonometry, whereas Methods uses that time to cover Calculus, as well as extentions to finite math. It is also manditory to do a large statistics project involving your own research at the end of IB2 for Math Studies, and this can be quite time consuming and stressful as the end of IB2 can be quite chaotic.

If you are reading Medicine, Methods does give the image of a student with greater bredth in their studies and proficiency with numerics. Moreover, if you decide to go into a branch of medicine that requires mathematics (ex. studies in medical technology), calculus will help you greatly.
there's not such thing as Methods anymore. it's called Math SL now. Anyway, STudies is boring. SEriously. It's for people who a) dont ever need Math in their life or are rubbish (I mean, *rubbish*) at it.

SL looks better on your transcript. Studies looks...bad...SL do similar things to HL but not as in depth as HL. It gives you a pretty good round out background in most topics in math. but it's a lot easier than HL.

If you can do it and don't absolutely hate math, I'd say do SL.
Oh yeah, the project for Studies is a pain. A guy in my class did STudies and he hated the project. the SL portfolio takes much less time and is much easier to get through. you only have to spend a few hours on it. The Studies project takes SOOOOO long
I'm sorry I'm doing 3 posts in a row but just I now I read your beginning message above. If you got an A in GCSE you should do all right with SL. I got a B in my IGCSE, and did HL math and ended up with a 5. I hated Statistic and sucked at it in HL math and my statistic (HL paper 3) exam I ended up with a 5.
Reply 6
sdawood
The difference between the two is not really that big.

I would like to disagree strongly....im math SL you are actually doing some maths...while in studies you are not. Seriously, if you are not totally stupid and want to know at least something about mathematics as well as broaden your mind take SL or HL...'cause in studies you will be wasting your time. I think that Maths is one of those subjects that are essential in the knowledge of the world around us.....and if you want to develop your thinking and logic, do NOT take studies.
Yeah, SL has definitely got more real math, things that aren't completely easy. I know you do do some *Very* simple differentiation (no integration I think) in Studies but they're limited to polynomial equations. you do a fair amount of stats in Studies (Chi squared, some testing, but thats all for the project more or less). dont think you actually do distribution in Studies stats.

Anyway, whatever...do SL. Really. You actually learn something in SL.
Reply 8
I think I'll follow your advise: I am definitely gonna do maths at standard level, 'cos a) I am not rubbish at it, b) I wanna learn something new and c)I heard that standard level is more like AS/A2 level, wheras, studies is more like GCSE (and I don't wanna waste my time re-doing stuff I've already done!!!!
But thanks for all your replies, anyways, it helped me a lot to decide between the two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah. I heard studies is more or less stuff you would learn at GCSE. I dont think it would even measure up to IGCSE additional math. I did IGCSE additional math (I did an accelerated Math course in one year and spent my second IGCSE year doing Add Math) and Add Math consisted of stuff that you would normally learn in first year IB SL math.
maths studies is really easy. may i recommend maths HL? :biggrin: its a lovely course.

anyway if you want HIGH marks go for studies. but that's if your uni course is not maths based or require much maths :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending