The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance degree vs. Accountancy degree vs. Finance degree

I'm applying for universities in UK now and I'd like to know more in-depth information on the differences between these three degrees. Any help would be highly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Accounting is the process of creating and managing financial statements which record the day to day transactions of the business. Finance has a broader scope and is responsible for initiating transactions to aid in cash, investment and other working capital management.

an accountant measures, preparation, analyzing, and interpretation of financial statements to collect and present financial information to see how the company is performing, to monitor day to day ACCOUNTING operations, and for taxing. finance is an efficient and productive management of assets and liabilities based on existing information and the purpose is decision making regarding working capital issues such as level of inventory, cash holding, credit levels, financial strategy, managing and controlling cash flow to forecast the future performance of the business.

As far as i am concerned accounting and finance are closely intertwined but very separate. you wont be an accountant at the end of your finance degree and it would be very beneficial if you do accounting & finance and get work experience under your belt.

another thing is a degree is not the only way to becoming an accountant as there is much quicker ways such as AAT and fast track on becoming chartered within a few years. once you do AAT you can jump on ACCA, ACA, CIMA ATT so its a very wide range prospects. also when you do your ACCA which is at a much higher difficulty to a degree you get a finance degree if you complete an essay.
Reply 2
If your going to jump on the big 4 its your personality that counts lol.... they train people with other degrees to become accountants so accounting knowledge isnt that much of a requirement but u gotta make yaself stand out. i cannot express how much voluntary work is important in the accounting profession. i have currently 9 months of it and its great so much fun... n i aint aspiring to become an accountant any time soon lol
Reply 3
Original post by adnan111
Accounting is the process of creating and managing financial statements which record the day to day transactions of the business. Finance has a broader scope and is responsible for initiating transactions to aid in cash, investment and other working capital management.

an accountant measures, preparation, analyzing, and interpretation of financial statements to collect and present financial information to see how the company is performing, to monitor day to day ACCOUNTING operations, and for taxing. finance is an efficient and productive management of assets and liabilities based on existing information and the purpose is decision making regarding working capital issues such as level of inventory, cash holding, credit levels, financial strategy, managing and controlling cash flow to forecast the future performance of the business.

As far as i am concerned accounting and finance are closely intertwined but very separate. you wont be an accountant at the end of your finance degree and it would be very beneficial if you do accounting & finance and get work experience under your belt.

another thing is a degree is not the only way to becoming an accountant as there is much quicker ways such as AAT and fast track on becoming chartered within a few years. once you do AAT you can jump on ACCA, ACA, CIMA ATT so its a very wide range prospects. also when you do your ACCA which is at a much higher difficulty to a degree you get a finance degree if you complete an essay.

Oh, so basically a degree in accounting and finance is the best option?
Reply 4
yhup
Reply 5
Okay, thank you so much! But just to clear my doubts, a degree in accounting and finance is a mixture of what you will learn in both a finance course and an accounting course?
In general yes. All degree courses will publish a 'syllabus' ie what it contains. Check this out firsr

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending