The Student Room Group

Biochemistry Applicants 2015 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abi790
Sheffield! The course is one of the most flexible out there, and the student Union is amazinggggg. The student village is really nice too. They also have a really good integrated masters and year in industry program.

I personally hated a lot of the accommodation in Liverpool, and was very put off by the department at the open day. Also very minimal flexibility to study what your interested in.

I don't know much about the other 3 as I didn't consider applying there :/

Cheers! I must say Sheffield was just edging it at the minute, went to the invite open day and was impressed! Was thinking of putting Liverpool as my insurance, it's not that bad is it? Just interested to know what other people think about the other unis too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oJoeWilko
Cheers! I must say Sheffield was just edging it at the minute, went to the invite open day and was impressed! Was thinking of putting Liverpool as my insurance, it's not that bad is it? Just interested to know what other people think about the other unis too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, its not that bad, but I was certain i would apply there and went to the open day the weekend before I sent my UCAS off and was like, Okay Cardiff it is then. If you get the nice accomodation it could definitely be awesome. But I wasnt bowled over by the department :/
Original post by Abi790
Nah, its not that bad, but I was certain i would apply there and went to the open day the weekend before I sent my UCAS off and was like, Okay Cardiff it is then. If you get the nice accomodation it could definitely be awesome. But I wasnt bowled over by the department :/

I applied to Liverpool blindly because it was an ABB offer, got an invite open day next month so I'll see! But thanks for that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wnee-hee
Applied for biochemistry at Imperial College London late November & still no response. At this point both fingers and toes are crossed 😫

just got an unconditional offer (did my a-levels last year, on a gap year atm) from them yesterday! keep them crossed dw you'll get a place - good luck!!
Original post by doctor101
just got an unconditional offer (did my a-levels last year, on a gap year atm) from them yesterday! keep them crossed dw you'll get a place - good luck!!

Congrats on the offer!! Are you planning on firming it?
Original post by wnee-hee
Congrats on the offer!! Are you planning on firming it?

i have not clue, it's between imperial and UCL - I just have no idea, help me out what would you do??
i have not clue, it's between imperial and UCL - I just have no idea, help me out what would you do??

Haha ironically I'd have to choose between ICL and UCL if I got offers 😃 but in all honesty I don't know. Both are amazing but for some reason I feel that UCL may be more fun in terms of location and the sort of people that go there. But at the end of the day they are but equally great and neither would be a bad choice
Got my final unconditional from Bristol - just 2 months after the others haha

Thinking of firming Exeter and Insurance as Bristol. Although only the firm matters to me as I'm already in.

Other offers were from York, Lancaster, Bath
Reply 388
Original post by JackkkkkM
Got my final unconditional from Bristol - just 2 months after the others haha

Thinking of firming Exeter and Insurance as Bristol. Although only the firm matters to me as I'm already in.

Other offers were from York, Lancaster, Bath

Why would you favor Exeter over Bristol?

I think they are both super fab, I also have offers from these two (: my cousin recently graduated biochemistry from UCL and she absolutely loved it! I think for me imperial will be my firm, I found a breakdown of the course structure and it's completely perfect for me :biggrin: a fair amount of medically based stuff which I'm really interested in ^-^
Original post by Yua
Why would you favor Exeter over Bristol?

Why not?
Reply 391
Why not?

Silly answer
Original post by Yua
Silly answer

You're silly for questioning someone's decision which will have no impact on your life at all.

All my offers are unconditionals so entry requirements do not bother me. I'll go to whichever one I prefer
You're silly for questioning someone's decision which will have no impact on your life at all.

All my offers are unconditionals so entry requirements do not bother me. I'll go to whichever one I prefer

I dont think the question was meant in a malicious may, just asking the factors which influenced your decision? no need to get defensive
Reply 394

What? Are you trolling me or something? I asked a simple question I chose to apply to Bristol rather than Exeter myself. Just wanted to know your reasoning; no need to be so confrontational, it's all love.
Original post by Yua
What? Are you trolling me or something? I asked a simple question I chose to apply to Bristol rather than Exeter myself. Just wanted to know your reasoning; no need to be so confrontational, it's all love.

I'm sorry I took it the wrong way. Many apologies. Some people on here are rather condescending when it comes to uni's, hence the defensiveness.

Overall it's hard to split the two
Both academically are great, Bristol has a bit more flexibility on the course by being able to switch between doing a year in industry or not.

Then it comes down to lots of little other factors.
-I loved the Exeter town, Bristol is great too though
-I prefer the campus feel as opposed to being spread out like Bristol
-Bristol is a bit close to home 30-40 mins compared to Exeter 1hr30, which is a perfect distance
-I lot of my friends are in uwe in bristol. I know it's separate uni's but i'd rather be away from them and do my own thing.
-The halls I saw in Bristol seemed quite dated and a bus ride away from uni. Preferred the Exeter halls

Bristol's nightlife is better though, but it's all quite spread out.
Also Bristols ranking is about 10 places higher which is a little worrying but it's not too much of an issue

Overall i'm swayed by Exeter but it'll probably be determined by the visit days to the two.
I know some of my reasons shouldn't sway my decision but they do ever so slightly.

Again apologies from before :smile:
Reply 396
Hi everyone!
Congrats to all those with offers! I currently have offers from Oxford, Durham ( for Biological Sciences), Manchester ( for Molecular Biology), Sheffield and Bristol :smile:
I'm going to firm Oxford but still have to decide between Durham and Sheffield for my insurance so any advice would be very much welcomed, thanks!
:biggrin:
Anyone heard back from York? I've heard back from all my unis in the 3 months since I submitted my application but still waiting for York :frown:
Original post by J3SS742
Hi everyone!
Congrats to all those with offers! I currently have offers from Oxford, Durham ( for Biological Sciences), Manchester ( for Molecular Biology), Sheffield and Bristol :smile:
I'm going to firm Oxford but still have to decide between Durham and Sheffield for my insurance so any advice would be very much welcomed, thanks!
:biggrin:

Wow congrats on your offer! I'd probably go for Durham as insurance if I were you :smile:
Original post by sherrychan
I applied in Nov/Dec to King's and York.

I got an offer from King's in the middle of Dec for 35 (International Baccalaureate) but I have not heard back from York yet :frown:

I added UCL a few days before the deadline (just to try oops).

Anyone got an offer from York? :frown:

Good luck! I'm in the same boat too, they sent me the acknowledgement on October 22nd and heard nothing since then, no idea what they want to do.
I won't tell you to not worry because I'm worrying a lot as well, just good luck again and congrats on your King's offer that's amazing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending