The Student Room Group

what is needed to become a neurologist or neurosurgeon?

What is the minimum requirement generally?

Can it be done through a neuroscience degree?

How long do I have to study after that?

Is it really £35,000 a year?

Is it one of the highest earning careers after investment banking?

Are there other careers where I can earn top cash more easily?

How long, on average, does a medical student study per day?

I really need answers... thanks!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

This is going to be a productive thread. I can sense it already.
Only one of your questions is worth answering:

You need a medical degree to be a neurologist or neurosurgeon. Its a long training process. First med school, then foundation years, then speciality training and possibly further training to sub-specialize.

You can't do it with a neuroscience degree alone. You need a medical degree. Most neurosurgeons and many neurologists will have a PhD or MD in the field of neuroscience however before they get a consultant position. I think this might be due to the fact that neurological research is a huge frontier right now.
Original post by Okorange
Only one of your questions is worth answering:

You need a medical degree to be a neurologist or neurosurgeon. Its a long training process. First med school, then foundation years, then speciality training and possibly further training to sub-specialize.

You can't do it with a neuroscience degree alone. You need a medical degree. Most neurosurgeons and many neurologists will have a PhD or MD in the field of neuroscience however before they get a consultant position. I think this might be due to the fact that neurological research is a huge frontier right now.

How much is this going to cost?

What should I be doing after I finish a neuroscience degree? If I don't take a medical degree, what can I do with a neuroscience degree?
Reply 4
Original post by Joyful_soul
How much is this going to cost?

What should I be doing after I finish a neuroscience degree? If I don't take a medical degree, what can I do with a neuroscience degree?

If you're a UK student, then the degree costs the same as every other degree - £9000 per year at most universities, which is usually paid for by a loan which you repay later, plus living costs. If you are international then it costs more, but you'd have to find out exactly how much from the universities themselves.

If you just have a neuroscience degree, it doesn't qualify you to do anything clinical. You could go on and do further research in the area, either for a university or something like a pharma company, or you could get any number of generic graduate jobs. But if you actually want to be a neurologist or neurosurgeon (bearing in mind that they are very different jobs and not anything like what most applicants seem to think they are) you have to do medicine, with or without a neuroscience degree.
Original post by Helenia
If you're a UK student, then the degree costs the same as every other degree - £9000 per year at most universities, which is usually paid for by a loan which you repay later, plus living costs. If you are international then it costs more, but you'd have to find out exactly how much from the universities themselves.

If you just have a neuroscience degree, it doesn't qualify you to do anything clinical. You could go on and do further research in the area, either for a university or something like a pharma company, or you could get any number of generic graduate jobs. But if you actually want to be a neurologist or neurosurgeon (bearing in mind that they are very different jobs and not anything like what most applicants seem to think they are) you have to do medicine, with or without a neuroscience degree.

So a neuroscience degree is purposeless as long as I have a med degree?

What's the difference between neuro and neurosurgeon exactly?

Thanks for the help! :smile:

Is it one of the highest earning careers after investment banking?

Are there other careers where I can earn top cash more easily?

Mate, if it's all about earning potential for you, you're totally barking up the wrong tree.
Original post by shiggydiggy
Mate, if it's all about earning potential for you, you're totally barking up the wrong tree.

Not really, i actually enjoy neuroscience, but earning potential is undeniably very important at the same time. It's good to know.
Not really, i actually enjoy neuroscience, but earning potential is undeniably very important at the same time. It's good to know.

You seem to use the terms neuroscience, neurology and neurosurgery interchangeably. I would strongly recommend doing a bit of googling about what these jobs actually are. Then you can actually have a sensible conversation here.
(edited 9 years ago)
You seem to use the terms neuroscience, neurology and neurosurgery interchangeably. I would strongly recommend doing a bit of googling about what these jobs actually are. Then you can actually have a sensible conversation here.

I don't use them interchangeably. But they all require basic knowledge of the brain.
I don't use them interchangeably. But they all require basic knowledge of the brain.

Fine.

If you enjoy sucking out clots and arguing with orthopods, be a neurosurgeon.

If you like watching your patients degenerate and die, be a neurologist.

If you want a big salary be an investment banker.
Fine.

If you enjoy sucking out clots and arguing with orthopods, be a neurosurgeon.

If you like watching your patients degenerate and die, be a neurologist.

If you want a big salary be an investment banker.

Dam, you make it sound worse than it is.

I can't be an investment banker for some reasons.... I also enjoy neuro more than finance!
Dam, you make it sound worse than it is.

I can't be an investment banker for some reasons.... I also enjoy neuro more than finance!

If you enjoy neuro then you'd enjoy looking this stuff up and reading about it instead of making us do your dirty work.
Original post by Okorange
If you enjoy neuro then you'd enjoy looking this stuff up and reading about it instead of making us do your dirty work.

It's a question

If you don't know the answer, don't respond...

I enjoy the actual work, not looking up all these questions.
A brain
It's a question

If you don't know the answer, don't respond...

I enjoy the actual work, not looking up all these questions.

Actually I do know the answers, I just don't want to tell you. Look it up yourself. I just don't get why if you are truly interested in the career why you can't spend some time researching it.
Neuroscience degrees are good for research only, although the jobs and very few and far between.

Anything else you need to have done medicine and then further training other dm or phd like others have said.

Seriously dude if you want this career do the research.
Original post by Olderandwiser23
Neuroscience degrees are good for research only, although the jobs and very few and far between.

Anything else you need to have done medicine and then further training other dm or phd like others have said.

Seriously dude if you want this career do the research.

So how much do researchers get paid?

I want to work in neuroscience, but being one who wants to enjoy the joys of wealth, money comes first!

Can I get funding for a med degree after finishing a neuroscience degree? Is it another 5 years for med?

Thanks for the help!!
And seriously dude, shocking you don't know this basic info.
Why not engage your brain and do a very basic level of research.

Neurosurgery and neurology are quite distinct career paths

Latest

Trending

Trending