The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Whoops, I wasn't exactly active on the last thread (actually a good thing - it meant I was working, rather than procrastinating like now).

My MA is great and I love it but it's keeping me super busy - I'm only part time! (Though maybe having 3 jobs is making it seem harder than it should be). Now I'm freaking out about my future and what to do with it given my not 100% useful degree and the fact that Classics PGCEs are apparently really hard to get on to. :h:
Original post by Aemiliana
Whoops, I wasn't exactly active on the last thread (actually a good thing - it meant I was working, rather than procrastinating like now).

My MA is great and I love it but it's keeping me super busy - I'm only part time! (Though maybe having 3 jobs is making it seem harder than it should be). Now I'm freaking out about my future and what to do with it given my not 100% useful degree and the fact that Classics PGCEs are apparently really hard to get on to. :h:

Glad to hear things are good your end :biggrin: 3 jobs is a lot :eek: There I was thinking I was a busy bee with all my volunteering and, um, TSRing :ninja:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Glad to hear things are good your end :biggrin: 3 jobs is a lot :eek: There I was thinking I was a busy bee with all my volunteering and, um, TSRing :ninja:

How're things going on your end? (Happy belated birthday by the way!)

It's not as bad as it sounds, I only work maybe 10 hours a week, it's more the racing miles about (without a car) getting from job A to B to C. And being mostly self employed means I don't always get breaks. It was more hectic when I had 4 jobs obviously!

Thank you :h: All is OK this end. Preparing for my interview with The Brilliant Club, if you saw that conversation (tiz on Tuesday :eek2: ) and trying to juggle PhD reading with having a social life :colondollar:

It's not as bad as it sounds, I only work maybe 10 hours a week, it's more the racing miles about (without a car) getting from job A to B to C. And being mostly self employed means I don't always get breaks. It was more hectic when I had 4 jobs obviously!

Ah travelling is def not fun :nope:

Its probably cos there won't be as many. Could you apply for English or history instead?

It's hard because it's only offered at Cambridge and Kings London, so there are only about 30 places each year. But then again there aren't that many Classics graduates so it's maybe not as bad as you think. And if teaching is your thing, Classics as a subject is generally more open to taking on teachers without qualifications and training them as they go...
Original post by Feefifofum
It's hard because it's only offered at Cambridge and Kings London, so there are only about 30 places each year. But then again there aren't that many Classics graduates so it's maybe not as bad as you think. And if teaching is your thing, Classics as a subject is generally more open to taking on teachers without qualifications and training them as they go...

Ignore me - realised your post was in reply to someone else.

Does anyone know anyone who's been through the Schools Direct/GTR route?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by *Interrobang*
Its probably cos there won't be as many. Could you apply for English or history instead?

Yeah as Fee said, there's only 2 so about 30 places! I really want to keep ancient history and Latin in my life. I may occasionally curse Latin, but I do actually really love it.

Original post by Feefifofum

Yeah, it's the number of places that terrifies me! Yeah, I mean there were loads of Ancient Historians, Classical Civ etc graduands at my graduation, but I guess the number that actually have the level of language required is much lower...

I think I went to do the PGCE route so I'll probably give it a go and then if that doesn't work out I guess I'll look at other way into it...
Yeah as Fee said, there's only 2 so about 30 places! I really want to keep ancient history and Latin in my life. I may occasionally curse Latin, but I do actually really love it.

Yeah, it's the number of places that terrifies me! Yeah, I mean there were loads of Ancient Historians, Classical Civ etc graduands at my graduation, but I guess the number that actually have the level of language required is much lower...

I think I went to do the PGCE route so I'll probably give it a go and then if that doesn't work out I guess I'll look at other way into it...

Remember that the pgce qualifies you to teach - a school could get you teaching classics with another subjects :smile:

You looked at the Schools Direct route? Places are listed in the next week or so I think
Remember that the pgce qualifies you to teach - a school could get you teaching classics with another subjects :smile:

Oh yeah, if I brush up my German I'd be happy teaching that to the level I'm allowed, and history too. But Latin and Classical Civ is what I'm really passionate about and want my life to be about and I am getting way too hyped about my subject haha.

Original post by apotoftea
You looked at the Schools Direct route? Places are listed in the next week or so I think

Yeah, that's something else to consider, I'm just a bit worried that because Latin is primarily taught in private schools, they would rather someone with a PGCE over that route? Like I'm worried they'd get snooty about it?
Original post by Salchow
Hello :smile: Nice to see an update, I can remember that you were thinking about applying for SALT. I'm with you on being a student again although I must admit I am enjoying being one again, I miss my full time wage though! Are you enjoying the course so far?

I have not really noticed that much of a drop from my full-time wage to be honest. Partly because I had a crap wage to begin with and I receive a bit extra for having a child and dependent partner. I am still wrangling with my local council about rent and council tax so my opinion my change over the next week or so. :tongue:

I am enjoying the course. The biggest issue with my old job was the commute. I hated having to travel so far to go to a job I ended up hating. Now I do not mind it because I am doing something I like. The biggest problems I have now are a crap timetable and having to swallow theories presented as fact that I know are contested (clinical education is one of the worst offenders in this respect).

The intellectual freedom is amazing though. I have to write a short essay on the difference between language and communication so I am reading a lot of cognitive-based linguistic work at the moment. I just finished a paper by Pinker criticising Chomsky's ideas about only a tiny part of language being innate to humans, and I can feel his pain. Chomsky's new minimalist theories basically throw away most of the work he and everyone else has done over the last 40 years. It is akin to Charles Darwin deciding at the end of his life that natural selection was not worth pursuing after all and we should start again. This may mean nothing to you but the fact I am allowed to think about this sort of stuff full time without distractions is bliss! :biggrin:
Yeah, that's something else to consider, I'm just a bit worried that because Latin is primarily taught in private schools, they would rather someone with a PGCE over that route? Like I'm worried they'd get snooty about it?

I've been looking at private schools and I've noticed for History, that PGCEs are only just feeding in, it's still a lot of MA/PhD qualifications instead.

Certainly a number of my teachers were PhD over PGCE. It is changing but I've heard a lot of negativity by those who have done PGCE courses who wanted to teach in the private/public sector. For example tutors leaving references to the last minute after giving the 'you should be wanting to teach in the state sector' speech.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by apotoftea
I've been looking at private schools and I've noticed for History, that PGCEs are only just feeding in, it's still a lot of MA/PhD qualifications instead.

Certainly a number of my teachers were PhD over PGCE. It is changing but I've heard a lot of negativity by those who have done PGCE courses who wanted to teach in the private/public sector. For example tutors leaving references to the last minute after giving the 'you should be wanting to teach in the state sector' speech.

Yeah, a small part of my doing an MA was because I figured it would help my chances of getting into teaching.

Hmm that is interesting, though I guess my classics tutors hopefully won't do that seeing as that's where the majority of jobs are... Hopefully they won't.
Original post by evantej

The intellectual freedom is amazing though..... This may mean nothing to you but the fact I am allowed to think about this sort of stuff full time without distractions is bliss! :biggrin:

I completely relate to this - having just given up teaching in order to return to study, I'm wishing I had read more about educational policy and history during my career - but when you're living something there isn't time to study it! The freedom of having thinking time now is such a treat.

SALT is such an interesting and important subject, although frustratingly underfunded, what a great choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, a small part of my doing an MA was because I figured it would help my chances of getting into teaching.

Hmm that is interesting, though I guess my classics tutors hopefully won't do that seeing as that's where the majority of jobs are... Hopefully they won't.

Private schools can hire who they want without them needing a pgce if that's what you wanted to do but it would be difficult doing it from scratch without training
Private schools can hire who they want without them needing a pgce if that's what you wanted to do but it would be difficult doing it from scratch without training

Yeah, I've read that. But I know that I will feel much more confident if I've done the training, even if it was for some reason easier without, you know?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, I've read that. But I know that I will feel much more confident if I've done the training, even if it was for some reason easier without, you know?

Yeah I totally understand. Good luck with it :smile:
I need to write three op eds and blogs today. I've lost the ability to write in full sentences. Waaaaaah.
Any tips about reading for taught postgrad? I feel a bit like I'm drowning in it. I only have three modules (they're worth a lot of credits) but they have a lot of basic reading and I'm struggling to get through it. I haven't touched any advanced reading yet for any module.

I generally feel quite inadequate for PG study - feel a bit like an impostor. Did anyone else feel like this at first? I have very strong UG academics, am here on a departmental scholarship, have prior research experience & glowing references for my suitability for postgrad etc, so objectively I should be/feel capable. But I still feel like I'm in a bit over my head and I'm going to fail and ruin my academic CV :s

Classes are fine - I contribute regularly & feel like I understand, and that boosts my confidence, but when I think about assessment, i feel certain I'm going to fall short because the standard is so much higher than undergrad.

Reassurance/sharing of experiences would be wonderful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending