The Student Room Group

Cambridge pre-uni course

Hey there, I m considering doing Cambridge pre-u exams as an independent candidate however I haven't been able to find any text book which would be recommended by CIE as a supporting material, could some one please tell me what I am supposed to study as the main textbook for it?(my subjects are math, further math and Physics)
I am also doing Cambridge pre-u, but for Economics and English lit. It's not that i dislike the board, but I do truly believe that it would be much better to take more known boards such as Aqa, Edexcel etc. complications of Cambridge pre u is that there are no specific material to study from, and the course is linear( so you take exams at the end of 2 years) rather than doing as & a2. It's also worth mentioning that Cambridge is designated to prepare students for uni but to also make lessons more interactive- so it wouldn't be too relevant to your circumstance. it's however a well respected board and regardless of what you choose Good Luck & work hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Salar1373
Hey there, I m considering doing Cambridge pre-u exams as an independent candidate however I haven't been able to find any text book which would be recommended by CIE as a supporting material, could some one please tell me what I am supposed to study as the main textbook for it?(my subjects are math, further math and Physics)

It may be different in your case as your subjects are more rigid in content but I did pre u history and would agree with the poster above that it would be better when taught to you as although much of it is self directed the teachers help loads in finding resources and ensuring you learn what you are supposed to.

I personally would choose other exam boards for your subjects unless you can find a centralised textbook! Pre u is great, but not for an independent candidate
Reply 3
tnx guys :smile:
Reply 4
What about CIE A levels? There are definitely more resources than Pre U since it's been around much longer than Pre U.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeah I had thought about it however the only problem is as doing A level physics has practical part not many centres accept private candidate for that, and even if they do it costs a lot
Reply 6
Original post by Salar1373
Yeah I had thought about it however the only problem is as doing A level physics has practical part not many centres accept private candidate for that, and even if they do it costs a lot

I thought they had alternative to practical paper. I did CIE IGCSE and I did alternative to practical because my school had extremely poor facility. They offer A level physics with same equipment so I assume they do alternative to practical for that as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest