The Student Room Group

"first year of uni is easy compared to alevels" - BIGGEST LIE YOU WILL EVERY HEAR

Scroll to see replies

Ahhhh just wait til you get into the real world of working. All of uni and a levels combined seems like a doddle.
That's one of the biggest lies I've ever heard. University is really REALLY hard. At A Level most people on my course had something like A*AA. Where as at uni, my first essay was so bad I didn't get a mark and many ended up after first year with 2:2s.

University is several levels above A Level, where, it's quite common for people to get 100/000 in an exam.
Original post by tillytots
Lol first year is nothing.

Your struggles are probably due to the adaption and different style in comparison to a levels, give it another few weeks and it'll be a breeze.

The difference between A level and first year maths, at least where I went, was far and away greater than the difference between A level and GCSE in terms of difficulty. Don't even get me started on second year.

What subject are you doing/did you do?!
(edited 9 years ago)
As someone else already pointed out, the transition from college to university is generally thought of as being easier than school to college. First year at university still doesn't stack up compared to final years. That said, I actually enjoyed the intensity of having something to do all the time during finals. :teehee:
(edited 9 years ago)
I approve this message. I study countless hours everyday and I'm just about keeping up.
My course is super intense, and I have so much work to do. It's way more work than I needed to do for A levels.
On the other hand, my boyfriend's course (currently) is actually easier than A levels.
It totally depends what course you do.
Reply 26
Original post by alow
Completely depends on which course you do and where. I'm only a couple of weeks in and I've never worked so hard, A Levels were a joke compared to this.

Same :s-smilie: Anatomy is possibly the most horrendous thing I've encountered so far in my life; never once during A-levels were we expected to have discerned the positions and attachments of 20 different muscles and the nervous and blood supplies to them in a single 2 hour session..... :redface:
I've found each stage of education easier than the previous. I still think of GCSEs as the most stressful period of my life (and I have two degrees, one 2.1 one 1st)
Reply 28
I dunno. First year wasn't exactly difficult. 40% pass rate, in at 11am, only going in for seminars which were streamed anyway... it was pretty easy now I look back.
It entirely depends on your degree and the assessment styles they're using.

I looked around to see if the uni assessment styles suited my learning. :smile:
Maybe you're a bit dim OP?

You're always making posts about how bad uni has been for you. Maybe you should just drop out?
It can be a lot harder, and certainly was in my opinion, and not just in terms of the course material - living with new people, getting your own food etc brings up a load of other challenges in itself. There are some courses that have ridiculously low amounts of contact time and work (arts subjects... :teehee:), but for maths at a top university, you'll be going much further much faster than when you were in sixth form.
Original post by Pattie Labelle
Maybe you're a bit dim OP?

You're always making posts about how bad uni has been for you. Maybe you should just drop out?

How does finding the workload difficult make me dim? Try doing psychology at a top uni and you'll see what i mean. Others on here have agreed but i'm sure they're dim too right?

Dropping out wil never be an option. I enjoy my course, the work is just a lot.
Original post by R Dragon
Not to be rude... but how can you imply that she's dim because she works a lot? Just because you did Arts doesn't mean all other degrees are as easy as yours.

You have no right to say that to anyone

hahahahaha yes!!!
Original post by Secretnerd123
I keep seeing posters on here telling those in sixthform/college that uni is easier than alevels and I was fed the same lies before I started uni so entered with a 'first year is going to be a breeze' mindset. Oh how wrong I was. It will hit you like a ton of bricks if you have this mindset. IT IS NOT EASY and you'll actually miss doing alevels. Don't listen to those who say its easy.

That is all.

Spoiler

well i am finding it easier than a levels. At least in comparison to the memory of them which will be the build up to exams, any way a tiny bit everyday and its great, nothing is getting on top of me, i feel like i understand the content and given the routine i am in i still have time to go over stuff if i have a problem and will be left with enough time to have fun. Any way i dont think anyone has really said that first year is a breeze, that probably your problem. Have you tried actually doing small amounts of work every day as opposed to letting it build up and doing it in bulk.
How does finding the workload difficult make me dim? Try doing psychology at a top uni and you'll see what i mean. Others on here have agreed but i'm sure they're dim too right?

Dropping out wil never be an option. I enjoy my course, the work is just a lot.

Listen Missy I don't know why you're getting mad with me. I was just responding to the opening post. To me it seems like you aren't very happy at the moment.

Want to talk about it?
I'm doing Law (never done it A Level) and the work was a shock at first but it's week 4 and I'm finding everything so much easier. I think it's just a matter of adjusting to the work and style.

I'm guessing you've done Psychology at A Level so I'm assuming it shouldn't be that bad?
Original post by Pattie Labelle
Listen Missy I don't know why you're getting mad with me. I was just responding to the opening post. To me it seems like you aren't very happy at the moment.

Want to talk about it?

Its getting better than it was the first week or two.

You call me dim and expect me to tell you my problems? :K:

Original post by TheCynicalChild
I'm doing Law (never done it A Level) and the work was a shock at first but it's week 4 and I'm finding everything so much easier. I think it's just a matter of adjusting to the work and style.

I'm guessing you've done Psychology at A Level so I'm assuming it shouldn't be that bad?

The workload is ALOT compared to alevels. Like we have to do 2 essays and revise for a mid term test in the space of a month. And there was no biology included in alevel psych so the bio lectures are like a different language to me. I guess i just need to adjust :tongue:
Like we have to do 2 essays and revise for a mid term test in the space of a month.

Is that a big workload? :confused:
Reply 39
Its getting better than it was the first week or two.

You call me dim and expect me to tell you my problems? :K:

The workload is ALOT compared to alevels. Like we have to do 2 essays and revise for a mid term test in the space of a month. And there was no biology included in alevel psych so the bio lectures are like a different language to me. I guess i just need to adjust :tongue:

That's not a lot, I was doing 3 essays a week in first year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending