The Student Room Group

How much should I be getting taxed?

I am new to all this tax thing seeing as I only started my first proper part time job in August, I was wondering how much should I be taxed? I feel like I am getting taxed too much. I earn £6.31 an hour and work 8 hours a week. Last month I was supposed to be paid £217 but I got taxed £58. Can someone explain this?:confused:
I don't think you should be paying any tax. You're below the threshold for both income tax and national insurance.
Reply 2
Original post by Robson689
I don't think you should be paying any tax. You're below the threshold for both income tax and national insurance.

What is the threshold for them?

Do you know who I should contact about this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Income tax threshold is £10,000 a year and National Insurance threshold is £153 a week. I'm not sure how it all works so don't know how to contact HMRC about it. Hopefully someone else with experience of this will be able to help further.
Reply 4
Original post by Robson689
Income tax threshold is £10,000 a year and National Insurance threshold is £153 a week. I'm not sure how it all works so don't know how to contact HMRC about it. Hopefully someone else with experience of this will be able to help further.

If this is your first job you need to fill out a P46 form and get it to your employer ASAP. They should be able to give u one. After this it should be sorted out.
Reply 5
Original post by Tbear46
If this is your first job you need to fill out a P46 form and get it to your employer ASAP. They should be able to give u one. After this it should be sorted out.

Where do I get P46 forms from? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by pandabun
Where do I get P46 forms from? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should ask your employer for one. I have always got one from them in the past. Failing that try the inland revenue site for information. Make sure it is the official site you use.
Original post by Tbear46

what's your tax code ( should ber on your pay slip) as it looks like you are being taxed on a BR tax code from the figures you gave.

if this is your only job and you don;t get any taxable BIK you should be on 1000l

and would likely still be using 'saved up ' allowance from april to august now

as others have said you need a P46 asap and your employer needs to get your tax code fro mthe HMRC with it and then they can refund your overpaid tax and tax you correctly ( if at all with your low level of earnings)

black and white p46 http://www.paycheck.co.uk/docs/P46-short.pdf

pretty coloured P46 https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/jobs/apply/p46.pdf ( one of many sources if you search using well known search engines it;s a generic form
(edited 9 years ago)
I am new to all this tax thing seeing as I only started my first proper part time job in August, I was wondering how much should I be taxed? I feel like I am getting taxed too much. I earn £6.31 an hour and work 8 hours a week. Last month I was supposed to be paid £217 but I got taxed £58. Can someone explain this?:confused:

If you earn under £10,000 a year (which you ovbiously do) then you shouldnt be taxed at all. You where probably emergency emergency taxed. You will probably get it back given time, but in the meantime- phone the tax office (you can find the number on the internet) and explain the situation. Make sure you have your last payslip and your NI number when you phone up.
Reply 9
Original post by Emma:-)
If you earn under £10,000 a year (which you ovbiously do) then you shouldnt be taxed at all. You where probably emergency emergency taxed. You will probably get it back given time, but in the meantime- phone the tax office (you can find the number on the internet) and explain the situation. Make sure you have your last payslip and your NI number when you phone up.

Thank you, currently calling them now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, currently calling them now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let me know how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending