The Student Room Group

What car are you driving/ what car do you want?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrWills22
Currently drive a Fiat 500 S. Love the interior, and brilliant to look at. But not all it's cracked up to be whatsoever.

Looking to either get: Audi A1 1.4 TDI or Mini Cooper D 1.6. Can't decide, any thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not Audi A1 1.6 TDI?

The cooper is good to drive but I'm not a fan, especially the interior. A1 is a smart little car though very expensive and a firm ride. The VAG 1.6 TDI is a brilliant engine.
Reply 81
Original post by Motorbiker
Saloons look so much better. Fact. Train tracks would know this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pfft, completely disagree. Matter of opinion I guess, but I've always had estates since my 330. (other than a brief 2 month period where I made the mistake of getting a Jeep Cherokee)

The only Saloon I'd consider over an estate is the Jag XF. Lovely car. (but then I hate things like the A3/1 series too. I like large motors, with the exception of the small modern skodas which are nice)
Original post by samba
Pfft, completely disagree. Matter of opinion I guess, but I've always had estates since my 330. (other than a brief 2 month period where I made the mistake of getting a Jeep Cherokee)

The only Saloon I'd consider over an estate is the Jag XF. Lovely car.

Personal preference on looks. I don't need an estate so it's just extra weight I guess.

My little hatchback is big enough atm. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samba

The only Saloon I'd consider over an estate is the Jag XF. Lovely car. (but then I hate things like the A3/1 series too. I like large motors, with the exception of the small modern skodas which are nice)

Why was it a mistake? Cherokees are brilliant, especially the less recent ones.
Reply 84
Original post by YesAllMen
Why was it a mistake? Cherokees are brilliant, especially the less recent ones.

Was a 4 litre 1995 one. Just didn't like it, weight was all off, wasn't quick enough, and drank twice as much petrol as my current 5.5l bi turbo. Comfortable and nice driving position, but was honestly horrible to live with. Just wanted to try out a 4x4 I guess.
I don't mind the styling tbh.

I'd just want to upgrade in the future to a car with ac and steering wheel controls.

Much difference in tax between those two?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In Norway annual tax of cars are by weight. Similar taxes between the 2.

However when you register the car for the first time there are various fees that goes by vehicle type, engine size as well as output, emissions and weight.

The price difference between a DSG and a manual is around 15% inclusive of all the taxes.

The TD version would have cost more to buy due to higher tax.
Reply 86
Personal preference on looks. I don't need an estate so it's just extra weight I guess.

My little hatchback is big enough atm. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get a Citigo? :smile:
Original post by Alfissti
You in UK or USA?

They are not really that expensive to buy.

UK. They're not hugely expensive in the USA but they seem to be much more expensive over here.
In Norway annual tax of cars are by weight. Similar taxes between the 2.

However when you register the car for the first time there are various fees that goes by vehicle type, engine size as well as output, emissions and weight.

The price difference between a DSG and a manual is around 15% inclusive of all the taxes.

The TD version would have cost more to buy due to higher tax.

I meant in the UK where tax is based on emissions.

Don't think it's much different tbh.
Original post by AlphaTango
Why not Audi A1 1.6 TDI?

The cooper is good to drive but I'm not a fan, especially the interior. A1 is a smart little car though very expensive and a firm ride. The VAG 1.6 TDI is a brilliant engine.

Yeah sorry, typo, the 1.6 TDI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Good ones keep getting fewer and fewer. Does cost a fair bit to insure.

Not a good place to look for one of those.

Buy it off an enthusiast forum instead. One thing for sure, good ones rarely ever need any advertising anywhere as they get snapped up by people who knows the car well.

Yeah in not actively looking for one. Just lusting after them. They are near enough uninsurable for me right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honda Civic hybrid

I want a VW golf bluemotion

James A
x

:hi:

If in central London, Id think just to ditch the car and get an annual tube pass instead

I imagine we'd eventually move to a more Norwegian style taxation system, because there are those cars that are considered to be "zero emission" cars

I also imagine that my car will be downgraded from tax band C, to tax band D

VED bands for both cars are similar in UK.

The DSG is more powerful though as it is 105PS vs the manual that is 90PS.

Original post by de_monies
I imagine we'd eventually move to a more Norwegian style taxation system, because there are those cars that are considered to be "zero emission" cars

I also imagine that my car will be downgraded from tax band C, to tax band D

The Norwegian system isn't that good IMO, it means cars as a whole will have a huge upfront cost as all the taxes are loaded up when you buy the car. Many cars are up to 40% more expensive in Norway than an equivalent model in UK with some higher end cars costing near double.
Original post by de_monies
Honda Civic hybrid

I want a VW golf bluemotion

:hi:

If in central London, Id think just to ditch the car and get an annual tube pass instead

I want a bluemotion VW Golf too :moon:

I don't have my own car but get to drive my Dad's Civic when I can.
Current car:

VW Polo 2003 1.4

Car I want:

BMW M3

if some bought me a 2014 a class i will be the happiest person in england

but really my dream car is this

the 2.8l model in particular. but im 17 itll be years before i can afford to run one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Curently driving a Fiesta '11 but i would really like to drive this...quite likely in the near future...
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
I'm currently driving a Ford Fiesta, my friends love it - yet I think it's time for a change soon.

I really want a brand new VW Golf, but we shall see! :tongue:

What about you?

I currently drive, and want to continue to drive my Suzuki Vitara :love:

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tillybop
I currently drive, and want to continue to drive my Suzuki Vitara :love:

Those things run forever.

One of my business partners that owns a salmon farm drives one that is exactly like the one in the picture. Done 600k km and he hardly spends anything on it beyond petrol and parts to service it.

Not bad for something that is older than quite a lot of forumers on TSR :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending