The Student Room Group

A Level choices for Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Biology and Chemistry are enough to apply to virtually every medical school (maybe excluding Cambridge)

For the other two pick the two subjects you would get the best grade in.

That will put you in the best position to apply to medical school.

Maths and Physics are useful for the UKCAT and BMAT but that is about it
My brother did Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, AS Critical Thinking and an EPQ during A2 and he now does Medicine at uni :smile:

I think you should definitely do Chemistry and Biology (Physics is optional), Psychology may benefit you if that's what you want to do and Maths if you enjoy it....but good choices :smile:
Original post by Democracy
Actually I did get into Oxbridge Medical School - but I rejected them in favour of London Metropolitan University Medical School :smile:

Careful, some people might take you seriously xD
Woah okay thanks guys for the help but let's maybe just chill it down a little bit? :cool:

My reasoning for English Lit was simply because I want to have something I enjoy and with the sciences I was planning to take, have something that maybe wasn't so in the region of subjects thatScience and Maths are in.

Someone's said to look around at universities so I'll do that, thanks for the advice:smile: (I'd quote you but I literally got this today so I have no idea how oops)
English Language, Film Studies, Maths, Applied Art and Design/Applied Dance
Original post by FatFace817
Careful, some people might take you seriously xD

I am being perfectly serious - also getting my PhD in rocket science part time from Heythrop :smile:
Reply 26
You're taking exactly the same options as I am for medicine! Maths isn't needed, but if you're really good it wouldn't hurt to do it at A-level. Look at university grade requirements for universities that you are interested in and see what you need. Biology and chemistry are obviously needed and most universities accept two sciences and one academic subject. I think top universities want three sciences or two sciences with maths.
Good Luck!
Reply 27
Original post by SuperiorGenius
If you don't take AS maths then gl on UKCAT.

There's no link between AS maths and the UKCAT.
Original post by erudite
There's no link between AS maths and the UKCAT.

Have you sat the UKCAT before?
Reply 29
Have you sat the UKCAT before?

Yes, I did a couple of months ago and got an average score of 700 - 670 in QR, so below average seeing as the national average for QR was like 680-690.

I did maths up to AS as well and I don't think it had any link with the UKCAT exam, I even got an A* at GCSE, plus the QR subtest is meant to be "up to GCSE knowledge" anyway!
Original post by erudite
Yes, I did a couple of months ago and got an average score of 700 - 670 in QR, so below average seeing as the national average for QR was like 680-690.

I did maths up to AS as well and I don't think it had any link with the UKCAT exam, I even got an A* at GCSE, plus the QR subtest is meant to be "up to GCSE knowledge" anyway!

AS maths helps with the UKCAT. You're deluded if you think otherwise.
Reply 31

It may do for some to an extent, but not taking AS maths will not determine your final UKCAT score. Timing is the biggest factor to it.

Actually, it entirely depends on the modules taken at AS as well. None of my AS material had any relevance to the UKCAT QR subtest.

Successfully passing your Year 9 SATs is all you need to be able to get a great score on QR.
Am I at a disadvantage because I am not doing maths A level? Like will I struggle with the BMAT/ UKAT exams? Will Uni's look down on my application? I am doing Bio, Chem, Hist and Eng Lit, is that a good combo?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Being adept and in current practice with numbers is what helps with the UKCAT. The knowledge it assumes is no higher than key stage 4. The reason for this is that it is intended to determine ability, not knowledge. The only way AS would help is with the opportunity it offers to be active with maths. That is all. Playing darts regularly would be offer similar opportunities, as would helping your younger sibling with his GCSE maths.
Original post by glambarbe
Am I at a disadvantage because I am not doing maths A level? Like will I struggle with the BMAT/ UKAT exams? Will Uni's look down on my application? I am doing Bio, Chem, Hist and Eng Lit, is that a good combo?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No
No
No
Yes
Original post by glambarbe
Am I at a disadvantage because I am not doing maths A level? Like will I struggle with the BMAT/ UKAT exams?

See my previous post, just above this one.

I am doing Bio, Chem, Hist and Eng Lit, is that a good combo?

Yes.
Original post by Democracy
No
No
No
Yes

Thanx that is very reasurings. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Good bloke
See my previous post, just above this one.

Yes.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by FatFace817
Maths is relevant, I was thinking of applying to Bristol University for medicine so I contacted them and they strongly recommended it. I also have a friend that was declined for medicine at Kings College London because his subjects were not and i quote 'competitive'. At A level he took Biology, Chemistry and English Language. My proof? Well I'm applying to university this year and was thinking about UCL, which have a huuggge intake of foreign students (they do make more money to be fair) into Economics (which I have now decided to apply for) and it says on most university websites that the only English qualification required (naturally not for English degrees) is a SELT test (basic English test in which you prove that you can communicate effectively in English). Medicine usually requires two from: bio, chem, maths, physics ...

You have got entirely the wrong end of the stick with regard to English qualifications here. IELTS for foreign applicants is to prove their English language ability - to prove they can cope with a degree taught in English. This has absolutely no connection to A-level English Literature (or English Language, while we're at it) or what is taught within it.

As someone who has also done both Maths and English Literature at A-level, I can say that both are difficult but Maths is eminently more learnable if you don't 'get it' at first - if you struggle to do well in English Lit in the first place, it'll take longer than a year or two to get to A* level - not so with Maths.

English Literature is a highly respected A-level and will likely serve the OP well in life. So many people who stick to just Sciences and Maths are utterly hopeless at producing a mature piece of writing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending