The Student Room Group

Why so few ex-poly students on TSR?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Da Di Doo
Probably too embarrassed to admit it on here.

Why? Im an ex poly student, and I recognise that actually for the course, we're bloody damn good (Most of our graduates go to large companies. I gave my CV to someone who's working within a small company, but has been bought by a large company, and is the world leader in what it does)

Was also working at a very large company last year

Why be ashamed?

If any thing, ex poly students are wanted, because of practical knowledge. A careers woman came to our uni, who transferred from Bham (proper Bham) and she said that a lot of those people expected jobs, BECAUSE they went to Bham (Not saying all Bham students are like this, but you should never ride on expectation) What ex polys do, is give you real world experience

There's another person here, who worked at a large company, quit, now works at another large company. He went to an ex poly :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by President Putin
That someone must've been a complete and utter idiot.

I don't think he even knew that there's another (better) university right next door to the uni he goes to. Now I think of it he probably is a complete idiot
(edited 9 years ago)
That someone must've been a complete and utter idiot.

It is very possible to get into Imperial and UCL for a masters still?
Original post by de_monies
Why? Im an ex poly student, and I recognise that actually for the course, we're bloody damn good (Most of our graduates go to large companies. I gave my CV to someone who's working within a small company, but has been bought by a large company, and is the world leader in what it does)

Why be ashamed?

If any thing, ex poly students are wanted, because of practical knowledge. A careers woman came to our uni, who transferred from Bham (proper Bham) and she said that a lot of those people expected jobs, BECAUSE they went to Bham (Not saying all Bham students are like this, but you should never ride on expectation) What ex polys do, is give you real world experience

There's another person here, who worked at a large company, quit, now works at another large company. He went to an ex poly :smile:

It was a joke (I explained it in a later post).

Sorry if I caused offence to anyone.
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
And what if moving to Liverpool isn't an option? It is kind of out of reach for most people, and not an affluent city.

The majority of university students uproot and move across the country.
I bet they help with placements at IBM and Microsoft etc? The one major plus of attending some ex-polys.

Being next to the M4 corridor "English Silicon Valley" does help when you're studying Computer Science :biggrin:

Also, people forget that ex-polys can still lead in certain areas. Oxford Brookes does very well in Motorsport Engineering, Comp Sci, and Architecture.
And what if moving to Liverpool isn't an option? It is kind of out of reach for most people, and not an affluent city.

Then they could try elsewhere. I doubt that Liverpool are the only university accepting BBB grades for law through clearing. Research on the matter would definitely help.

If not, a hypothetical student could take a gap year and get legal experience and apply again to a Russell Group institution the following year. Going to an ex-poly should be a last resort.
There are probably plenty, but they don't feel the need to advertise it like the 'I got 16 A* and go to Cambridge AMA' crowd. Although there do seem to be less of them lately as well.
It is very possible to get into Imperial and UCL for a masters still?

Don't think you can do a masters in business management there...
It's very common now for students to get into a reputable Russell Group university with BBB grades. I have no idea why they would opt to attend an ex-poly.

If I had the choice of going to my university over say Oxford, Id pick my uni any day, considering that we're supposedly one of the best in Europe for our course, and we have amazing industry links
I used to look down at some ex-polys, but as I have got older and wiser, you do notice in business that a lot of jobs in industry are taken up by ex-poly students. Also, the Notts Trent students I have seen seem just like the ones at the other Nottingham. Maybe not quite as clever, but they look just the same in class.
Original post by Choppie
Being next to the M4 corridor "English Silicon Valley" does help when you're studying Computer Science :biggrin:

Also, people forget that ex-polys can still lead in certain areas. Oxford Brookes does very well in Motorsport Engineering, Comp Sci, and Architecture.

EXACTLY. Derby is VERY good at Motorsports. Aston is VERY good at robotics. Staffs is VERY good at networks. So on, and so forth
If I had the choice of going to my university over say Oxford, Id pick my uni any day, considering that we're supposedly one of the best in Europe for our course, and we have amazing industry links

I think that's just your opinion. The general population wouldn't concur with it.
I think that's just your opinion. The general population wouldn't concur with it.

The general population hasn't got a clue about the course I do. I dont mean that in an arrogant way. I know barely any thing about robotics, or engineering etc...

Have you ever worked? When I was on placement, pretty much every uni person there was an ex poly graduate or undergraduate (This is a very large company)

It's the same at a lot of other large companies as well
The general population hasn't got a clue about the course I do. I dont mean that in an arrogant way. I know barely any thing about robotics, or engineering etc...

Have you ever worked? When I was on placement, pretty much every uni person there was an ex poly graduate or undergraduate (This is a very large company)

Exactly what I found too. RG graduates are more rare for some reason.

Why be ashamed?

If you don't mind me asking, what course did you do?

I don't think I'll find any ex-poly students in any of my legal placements, sadly.

Also, I'm a firm believer that if someone wants to find work then they will. No matter if it's person with a degree from an ex-poly university or not.

The technicality comes down to the phenomena of that person progressing on and getting a better position in their workplace. Realistically speaking, an ex-poly student will not stand on par with a Russell Group graduate when it comes down to getting a better position. Such is my rational opinion.

Sadly, we live in a capitalist society and materialism is everything. Generally, an ex-poly university will not best prepare you for this rotten world that we live in.
Original post by _icecream
If you don't mind me asking, what course did you do?

It's in computer networks :smile: And Im still doing it :smile:

I don't think I'll find any ex-poly students in any of my legal placements, sadly.

Also, I'm a firm believer that if someone wants to find work then they will. No matter if it's person with a degree from an ex-poly university or not.

The technicality comes down to the phenomena of that person progressing on and getting a better position in their workplace. Realistically speaking, an ex-poly student will not stand on par with a Russell Group graduate when it comes down to getting a better position. Such is my rational opinion.

Sadly, we live in a capitalist society and materialism is everything. Generally, an ex-poly university will not best prepare you for this rotten world that we live in.

That's legal. Thats one industry.

And no. Not really. In legal, maybe, but in other industries, you get almost entirely ex poly graduates. I didnt see a single Russel Group graduate at the company I worked for last year. Where my friends went, I dont think there were any RG under grads, or graduates there either

IT and Engineering have generally been done quite well at the ex polys. Engineering is now done heavily at RG's, but IT is still VERY good at the ex polys (so much so, that supposedly people are getting hire from ex polys over Oxford graduates) Fair enough that you went to an RG uni, but dont expect a job on a plate..
Fair enough that you went to an RG uni, but dont expect a job on a plate..

I'm not expecting anything yet, I've only just started my studies.

Just stated my opinion, as you have yours.
Why so few ex-poly students posting on TSR?

Possibly due to the way they're demeaned by the academic elite. They're university students. Why is it necessary to point out that they're attending a new university?

I'm an alumnus from Coventry University myself and I've found this place to have a horrible atmosphere if you're not an academic superstar. One reason why I've had almost nothing to do with the academic forums in my 10 years on the site.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending