The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Cost of living

Hiya I'm from Newcastle and I'm thinking about applying to do Undergraduate adult nursing. Is it very expensive to be a student at east anglia uni?
Thanks x
Original post by onions
Hiya I'm from Newcastle and I'm thinking about applying to do Undergraduate adult nursing. Is it very expensive to be a student at east anglia uni?
Thanks x

No not at all. You can see accommodation prices for halls on the university website- when I was looking at universities it was cheaper than the equivalent at Leeds & Birmingham unis and mostly on campus, rent after that is usually around £260-300pcm, there is an Aldi a bike or bus ride away if your on a budget as well as other supermarkets.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by jelly1000
No not at all. You can see accommodation prices for halls on the university website- when I was looking at universities it was cheaper than the equivalent at Leeds & Birmingham unis and mostly on campus, rent after that is usually around £260-300pcm, there is an Aldi a bike or bus ride away if your on a budget as well as other supermarkets.

By the time you've waited for the 22 to get you to Larkman you could have walked it (or bike it in 10mins) :tongue: Although that stretch of Earlham Green Lane seems to go on foreeeeever when you walk it! Not gonna lie, I may have driven to 5ways Tescos/Co-Op often just because I couldn't be arsed to do that walk from one end to the other.

Plus to add, you don't have to pay a deposit for halls at UEA compared to the likes of Bham who wanted a £550 deposit (it's probably increased now after 4 years). I also found that even the premium halls at UEA (ensuite accommodation on campus) was sometimes cheaper than the crappiest cheapest breeze blocked residences at some other universities. The possible downside is that all of UEAs accommodation is self-catered, but I only spend about £15 on my weekly shop as a rough guide.

Then you have Wilkos/Poundland/Roys/The Range/Poundstrecher etc. dotted around town, to help keep costs down.
The 25 bus takes you directly to Morrisons [not sure if the 26 still does too? (urghhh I'd just got used to calling it the 25A!!)]
Original post by makingamemory
By the time you've waited for the 22 to get you to Larkman you could have walked it (or bike it in 10mins) :tongue: Although that stretch of Earlham Green Lane seems to go on foreeeeever when you walk it! Not gonna lie, I may have driven to 5ways Tescos/Co-Op often just because I couldn't be arsed to do that walk from one end to the other.

Plus to add, you don't have to pay a deposit for halls at UEA compared to the likes of Bham who wanted a £550 deposit (it's probably increased now after 4 years). I also found that even the premium halls at UEA (ensuite accommodation on campus) was sometimes cheaper than the crappiest cheapest breeze blocked residences at some other universities. The possible downside is that all of UEAs accommodation is self-catered, but I only spend about £15 on my weekly shop as a rough guide.

Then you have Wilkos/Poundland/Roys/The Range/Poundstrecher etc. dotted around town, to help keep costs down.
The 25 bus takes you directly to Morrisons [not sure if the 26 still does too? (urghhh I'd just got used to calling it the 25A!!)]

Yeah back in 2011 the Birmingham halls that everyone went on about in the Vale a 20 minute walk from campus were around £1000 more expensive than the UEA halls right on campus.
So do most people get a bus pass for shopping or are you allowed to get like a Tesco delivery to campus?
Also how much do current students spend on going out a month? How much on Laundry and printing all the extra stuff too? I'm trying to work out my budget :smile:
You can get orders to your accommodation. Union nights are really cheap it goes up a bit when in town but ive never spent more than £20
Original post by gburchell20
So do most people get a bus pass for shopping or are you allowed to get like a Tesco delivery to campus?
Also how much do current students spend on going out a month? How much on Laundry and printing all the extra stuff too? I'm trying to work out my budget :smile:

Most people I know (I'm in my first year) don't have a bus pass. If you live on campus, you don't really need one- if you're going to the city for shopping and you're under 20 it's like £2.40 for a return. I've gotten Tesco delivery a couple of times, but it turns out way more expensive than going to Aldi, which is a 15-20 minute walk, but if you go with friends, you can split a taxi on the way back. So really it depends on how much you want to end up spending.

Laundry is just under £5 for a wash and dry so I'd get a drying rack as well because it's 50 minutes in the tumble dryer (which isn't always enough time).
Printing is 5p per sheet or 8p per double sided in black and white. I've probably spent about £10 in my first semester on printing but people I know have printed way less.

I was super organised before I arrived, and budgeted everything, checked tsr for all this kind of stuff, but there are so many unexpected costs you'll probably go over budget!
Original post by laurencassinia
Most people I know (I'm in my first year) don't have a bus pass. If you live on campus, you don't really need one- if you're going to the city for shopping and you're under 20 it's like £2.40 for a return. I've gotten Tesco delivery a couple of times, but it turns out way more expensive than going to Aldi, which is a 15-20 minute walk, but if you go with friends, you can split a taxi on the way back. So really it depends on how much you want to end up spending.

Laundry is just under £5 for a wash and dry so I'd get a drying rack as well because it's 50 minutes in the tumble dryer (which isn't always enough time).
Printing is 5p per sheet or 8p per double sided in black and white. I've probably spent about £10 in my first semester on printing but people I know have printed way less.

I was super organised before I arrived, and budgeted everything, checked tsr for all this kind of stuff, but there are so many unexpected costs you'll probably go over budget!

Yeah you can get away without printing at all if your doing an Arts subject where coursework submission is all online.
Can you give me an idea of the costs you didn't expect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gburchell20
Can you give me an idea of the costs you didn't expect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Societies/sports clubs have varying costs to join or to go. You need a sticker on your uni id for insurance which is £45 a year if you want to do sports, which I didn't know about before I arrived. Some clubs also charge per session as well as entry to the sports centre. Also, you need to get kits for some or for example yoga you need a mat.

Things like Student Cards and railcards are things I didn't think about buying. The Shop on campus is expensive so you need a student card, and traveling by train to go home to visit is as well. So those are another £45 I hadn't thought of.

My first few modules I didn't have any books at all and I expected to print all my reading which was fine, but my second semester modules have loads of books that didn't realise I needed. You have to buy them but it's a pain (and £80 you thought you'd have. Amazon student gives discounts on books and prime which I'd recommend).

You also need money set aside for your deposit for next year's house. I know that seems really far away, but you choose your house at the beginning for the second semester, so if you don't have a student bank account, make sure you have extra cash. Nobody told me to do that and now I'm going to have to take £350 out of my next semester budget until I can get an account.

So there were a few things I really hadn't been told about or thought about having to pay for.
Thank you! That is so helpful I can try and remember to consider all those factors now :smile:
very expensive, I get the full student loan and a £2,000 bursary, I was over-drawn by £1000 after three months. And no I don't drink much alcohol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending