The Student Room Group

Whoops! I applied for a university in London!

I’ve submitted my UCAS application and have put Birkbeck as a choice. My only concern is with cost of living.

Is it realistic to earn enough with a part time job to afford to get a flat share/university accommodation?
Depends on what skills / experience you have.
Why not ask Birkbeck if they have a guide to London costs?
My friend Jim used to be a lecturer there and commuted in from Zone 6 so you don't have to live in the most expensive areas for renting but it's a balance between commuting costs and rent.
Original post by username6509682
I’ve submitted my UCAS application and have put Birkbeck as a choice. My only concern is with cost of living.

Is it realistic to earn enough with a part time job to afford to get a flat share/university accommodation?

Thousands do it every year, so you should be able to as well.
Original post by username6509682

Hi @username6509682,

A lot of students work alongside studying. With the cost of living going up there are many types of jobs you could get as a student that fits with your academic work.

Ideally a job with your university (e.g. working in campus club, ambassador etc.) would be great because they understand you are a students so you can usually find jobs with flexible hours to work around your studies with the university.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending