The Student Room Group

Kicked off course for not shaving?

Hey, I'm studying sports therapy at edge hill university and my course leader has told me that if I don't shave my facial hair (a weeks worth of growth), then he'll kick me off my course. Can he do this?? Thanks
Reply 1
No
Reply 2
Are you sure he wasn't joking?
Reply 3
Are you doing any work outside the uni soon? I had friends studying medicine who were told they could either be clean shaven or have full, trimmed facial hair. They couldn't take part in off-campus or public-facing study with the intermediate stubbly phase, as patients interpret this as a lack of professionalism.

Check the small print for your course. It may mandate aspects of your personal appearance that other courses wouldn't care about.

Of course if it doesn't, then your lecturer can go whistle.
That is some next bs bro.... probably a joke?
Reply 5
He's deadly serious - he's about 60 and is incredibly old fashioned. Seems ridiculous to me. Nope, not doing any work outside of university.
Reply 6
Original post by MrBean1994
He's deadly serious - he's about 60 and is incredibly old fashioned. Seems ridiculous to me. Nope, not doing any work outside of university.

In that case, it's time for a gentle and innocent email to your department's admin team, saying that you've been threatened with expulsion for your facial hair and asking (very politely) whether this is actually possible.

It might start enough of a stink that he'll be sat on by someone senior and told to stop talking nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending