The Student Room Group

Will I be at a disadvantage if I apply for Biology?

I take history, geography and biology (AAA), and I really want to apply for biology. I have looked at unis and some accept geography as a 2nd science or science-related subject.
I'm worried that my application won't be competitive enough because there will be people applying with all sciences and maths :frown:
I'm now having second thoughts on whether to apply for biology, I don't want to risk being rejected because of only taking biology at A Level :/
Original post by charlottealevel
I take history, geography and biology (AAA), and I really want to apply for biology. I have looked at unis and some accept geography as a 2nd science or science-related subject.
I'm worried that my application won't be competitive enough because there will be people applying with all sciences and maths :frown:
I'm now having second thoughts on whether to apply for biology, I don't want to risk being rejected because of only taking biology at A Level :/

Why not apply solely to courses which accept geography as a science-related subject?
Original post by ageshallnot
Why not apply solely to courses which accept geography as a science-related subject?

The universities I have looked at do, but I am still worried that they wouldn't give me an offer alongside students have a much more competitive personal statement
Reply 3
The universities I have looked at do, but I am still worried that they wouldn't give me an offer alongside students have a much more competitive personal statement

As long as you get your targets (AAA) it doesn't matter, the first year of your degree brings everyone up to the same level anyway since many colleges use either different exam boards or have different methods of teaching (i.e. more practicals etc).
If you show your interest in biology in your personal statement and link what your other subjects have helped you with in terms of biological science you should be fine.
Original post by blubear
As long as you get your targets (AAA) it doesn't matter, the first year of your degree brings everyone up to the same level anyway since many colleges use either different exam boards or have different methods of teaching (i.e. more practicals etc).
If you show your interest in biology in your personal statement and link what your other subjects have helped you with in terms of biological science you should be fine.

Thank you! Yes I really need to make my personal statement amazing, I'm finding it very difficult though haha. I got AAA at AS and my targets are AAA, would they be looking more for an A*?
Reply 5
Thank you! Yes I really need to make my personal statement amazing, I'm finding it very difficult though haha. I got AAA at AS and my targets are AAA, would they be looking more for an A*?

Depends on the marks you got in your exams and the rules of your college. In one of my a-levels I was pushed from and a to an a* because i got over 90% in two exams. if you're only scrapping 80% it's not worth it.
If the university your looking for requires an A* ask for one of your subjects to be an A*. If not, don't bother, but still aspire to get the best mark you can.
p.s: DON'T LIE IN YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT, really intense interviews will really push you on every detail of your statement, what interested you about the books/articles you've read. be yourself in the statement, if the statement and the interview don't match up then they're gonna wonder if any of it's true. for uni's that don't have interviews your statement has got to show everything you've done work experience, volunteering, chair of societies, sport, extra-curricular etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending