The Student Room Group

Midwifery: C-Section Question

I dont know if anyone will answer this but I've been wondering something.

I'm doing work experience in all fields of midwifery this week (community, theatre, labour ward and post/ante-natal ward) and I've loved it all.

However, during the c-section i felt a bit faint. To be fair I was watching the operation at a fairly close distance and was concentrating on the cut and wound.

I just wanted to know... Is this something that you get used to as your training goes on and you just get more used to the training? As any trained midwives I've asked have said that they felt the same the first time.

the first time any Student goes into an operating theatre,(regardless of profession) it is often an overwhelming experience
Original post by sophiecorah
I dont know if anyone will answer this but I've been wondering something.

I'm doing work experience in all fields of midwifery this week (community, theatre, labour ward and post/ante-natal ward) and I've loved it all.

However, during the c-section i felt a bit faint. To be fair I was watching the operation at a fairly close distance and was concentrating on the cut and wound.

I just wanted to know... Is this something that you get used to as your training goes on and you just get more used to the training? As any trained midwives I've asked have said that they felt the same the first time.

Like Zippy just said, the whole experience of theatres can be a bit overwhelming at first. The heat from the lights, the smell, what you're watching, having to stand for long periods. Fainting is something that's seen quite often and isn't made fun of. As far as I'm aware, it's still part of training for midwives, so you'll have to participate in scrubbing for a C-section, you won't be expected to go up to the table and scrub without someone supervising you, you'll have an experienced scrub nurse or midwife with you, tell them what you're worried about, make sure you've had a good breakfast that day and are keeping yourself well hydrated and if you start to feel funny, tell someone.
I'm not a midwife, third year medic and I still feel queasy seeing certain procedures/operations being done - you're definitely not the only one. Just tell someone you need to have a sit down if you feel faint :smile: x
Reply 4
Thanks everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending