The Student Room Group

I'm unsure of which subjects to take for a level :/

im thinking of taking(in order of confidence in choosing); psychology, maths, biology, rs. and id like to drop rs after the first year. is this a good choice ?

i dont have "long term" goals but i really want to study and either oxford or cambridge university, i was thinking psychology but apparently you do natural sciences in your first year or two then the actual psychology in the 3rd. i dont enjoy physics or chemistry at all sooo ... but i do love psychology.

i dont know about rs but although i am in the top set and my predicted grade is a*, i dont know if ill remember everything for the exams. also, biology, i enjoy it, but i don't know if ill survive or last the whole 2 years. it might not be as bad as i think. any stories, suggestions, advice ?

thanks
Reply 1
I think you'll get the best advice if you post your concerns here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1335691 :h:
Reply 2
what did you get in gcses?
Original post by lovaticfordemi
im thinking of taking(in order of confidence in choosing); psychology, maths, biology, rs. and id like to drop rs after the first year. is this a good choice ?

i dont have "long term" goals but i really want to study and either oxford or cambridge university, i was thinking psychology but apparently you do natural sciences in your first year or two then the actual psychology in the 3rd. i dont enjoy physics or chemistry at all sooo ... but i do love psychology.

i dont know about rs but although i am in the top set and my predicted grade is a*, i dont know if ill remember everything for the exams. also, biology, i enjoy it, but i don't know if ill survive or last the whole 2 years. it might not be as bad as i think. any stories, suggestions, advice ?

thanks

If you're applying for Natural Sciences then you absolutely absolutely need to be doing a science the whole way through.

Don't ever be so certain about what you'll drop; for one, it's impossible to imagine your grades for AS when in year 11. I thought I'd drop Art History, but I ended up happily ridding myself of Physics.

For advice, be organised, file everything you get, do your homework and TAKE NOTES ON EVERYTHING.

try to stay motivated. You'll do fine.

Remember you need at least 3 As, if not 4, at AS for oxbridge, so don't forget to work hard.

thanks

Original post by Guills on wheels
If you're applying for Natural Sciences then you absolutely absolutely need to be doing a science the whole way through.

Don't ever be so certain about what you'll drop; for one, it's impossible to imagine your grades for AS when in year 11. I thought I'd drop Art History, but I ended up happily ridding myself of Physics.

For advice, be organised, file everything you get, do your homework and TAKE NOTES ON EVERYTHING.

Remember you need at least 3 As, if not 4, at AS for oxbridge, so don't forget to work hard.

Basically I would repeat all of this.

As you said you were certain that you were going to drop RS, I presume you chose it just because there was nothing else? Just saying next year A-Levels are changing and you will only get the opportunity to take 4 AS' if you are gifted and talented. This is because they are becoming more challenging as they are apparently too easy as of now. So if you were only taking RS for that reason and you are gifted and talented (you may not know because I don't know if I am but I've already started anyway) then I would just stick with the three.

But.. even though you are most confident with choosing Psychology, I just want to tell you that out of the 3 AS I do currently (Psychology, French and Human Biology) it is my absolute favourite. It is my least demanding yet surprisingly my most interesting! I thought it would be really complicated but it's not it's enjoyable, I have a revision guide which covers the content of Edexcel (the examining body we do Psychology with), AQA and OCR and I've skimmed through and it all seems interesting and not too complicated so I'm glad you are confident about Psychology.

If you want to know more about Psychology at University, this thread is really useful:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1200984

You (at most colleges) will have to get an A in GCSE Maths to study it at A-Level, if that is the case then you will no doubt be good at Maths in which case you will do well at A-Level. Everyone I've spoken to/looked at their posts have said that as long as you are good at Maths then Maths is great. There are many sites online with tonnes and tonnes of resources for Maths being as it is a popular option.

More on Religious Studies.. it is a unique subject in my opinion. I think you really have to be interested in RS for you to endure 2 years of studying it.

I hope I've helped you. Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by slg60
what did you get in gcses?

i'm in year 11 :smile:
Reply 6
i'm in year 11 :smile:

oh right ^_^ what are you expecting, are you more mathsy or englishy?
Original post by slg60
oh right ^_^ what are you expecting, are you more mathsy or englishy?

i got my predicted grades just yesterday and im predicted a;

-d in geography(very understandable as i didnt try hard in year 10 to revise for the little exaams so i fully accept they think ill get d even though theyll get a shock for my mock result when i get higher)
-c in maths, history,
-a"b" in science and german, spanish,
-a* in engish language, english literature and religious studies.

after reading the comments, im not going to take maths anymore andd i might do economics
Reply 8
i got my predicted grades just yesterday and im predicted a;

-d in geography(very understandable as i didnt try hard in year 10 to revise for the little exaams so i fully accept they think ill get d even though theyll get a shock for my mock result when i get higher)
-c in maths, history,
-a"b" in science and german, spanish,
-a* in engish language, english literature and religious studies.

after reading the comments, im not going to take maths anymore andd i might do economics

if you got the C for maths for simply not trying try harder maths is an AMAZING qualification, if you struggle with it then don't worry about it.

I highly recommend that you take at least one of the sciences and literature is always nice :smile:
Original post by Guills on wheels

i wasnt thinking of taking natural science i just heard from someone that studied at Cambridge that thats what usually happens along with other research. i was just saying that im not interested in any other science but biology and essential psychology. thank you for the advice, i almost forgot i need high "as" grades, thanks :smile:
i wasnt thinking of taking natural science i just heard from someone that studied at Cambridge that thats what usually happens along with other research. i was just saying that im not interested in any other science but biology and essential psychology. thank you for the advice, i almost forgot i need high "as" grades, thanks :smile:

Ah right :smile:

I was talking about Biology for A2 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest