The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

120 Credits in the first year?

Hey there,

I'm currently about to enrol on a Computing & IT plus a second subject. My original plan was to complete TU100 and U101 in the first and then no more than 90 points in subsequent years. But now I'm concerned I may have far too much workload.

I work full time in a 9-5 on weekdays. Im
able to provide a total of 30 hours of study per week on average. However it's easy for me to say this since I've not already started. I know that even though I have that time available I could be looking at 20 hours a week.

I'd consider myself to be above average in computer knowledge and a genuine passion for design. My thoughts were the first year should be the 'easier' part and so 120 credit is manageable.

I appreciate nobody can give me a straight answer since you don't know my work rate or ability but I'd like realistic opinions on this.

It's also worth noting I have a three week holiday in April.

Thank you
Original post by Jesterone
Hey there,

I'm currently about to enrol on a Computing & IT plus a second subject. My original plan was to complete TU100 and U101 in the first and then no more than 90 points in subsequent years. But now I'm concerned I may have far too much workload.

I work full time in a 9-5 on weekdays. Im
able to provide a total of 30 hours of study per week on average. However it's easy for me to say this since I've not already started. I know that even though I have that time available I could be looking at 20 hours a week.

I'd consider myself to be above average in computer knowledge and a genuine passion for design. My thoughts were the first year should be the 'easier' part and so 120 credit is manageable.

I appreciate nobody can give me a straight answer since you don't know my work rate or ability but I'd like realistic opinions on this.

It's also worth noting I have a three week holiday in April.

Thank you

I would say, from my experience at least, to over estimate how much time uni work is going to need. There have been weeks where I've done very little then weeks where I've crammed it in.
Generally level 1 is the easiest so doing the full 120 credits whilst working is doable and level 1 you just need to pass as grades don't matter (only level 2 & 3 grades used in overall degree classification so I would take more time on them i.e less modules at once). I've done the older version of this degree (or least I will have when final exam result comes in the next few weeks..eeek :eek:) which was Computing and Mathematical Sciences but a lot of the modules have now changed to newer ones so I can't really offer advice on those I'm afraid.

So I haven't done those modules but some modules tend to drip feed assignments/units etc so it's sometimes more awkward to try get ahead. What I would say is see on OU forums or here if anyone has done those modules that could offer advice and give you a copy of the study timetable for the module they did. The dates differ for TMA deadlines etc. but not greatly (usually a day or two out) and will give you idea of the required pace of the course and general date ranges when assignments are due. So at least then you could have an idea for when to avoid if wanting to have a holiday.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
My advice on all the design modules is that they are quite time-consuming, particularly in terms of the work you need to put into the assignments. You often need to do detailed drawings, or make models, it's not stuff you can rush. So, bear that in mind!
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice. I've delved in a bit further and I think I'll stick to TU100 for the first year. In reality I'm only saving myself a years worth of study but considering it could take 5 years that way, what's another year? Plus with the holiday, which is firmly booked, I wouldn't want to take the risk. Especially since I'm in the dark on exactly what to expect and how I'll handle it on a personal level.

I've requested some further advice on the OU forum about whether or not the April trip will clash with anything important.
Reply 4
I'm doing 120 credits this year. I was going to do 60, but had a change of heart. I'm glad I did.

Throw in a young family, and a 25hrs week job/ if I can manage it, its worth it..

Quick Reply

Latest