The Student Room Group

Do I get anything from my 2 years of nursing?

So I did 2 years of nursing and then I had a tough time, so I decided to drop out and change courses in the same university. I am just confused and wondering if the 2 years of nursing I did would count towards anything? Do I get any credits from it? Is it worth putting it on my CV if I didn’t complete the whole 3 years?
Original post by Megangallagher98
So I did 2 years of nursing and then I had a tough time, so I decided to drop out and change courses in the same university. I am just confused and wondering if the 2 years of nursing I did would count towards anything? Do I get any credits from it? Is it worth putting it on my CV if I didn’t complete the whole 3 years?

You may be eligible for an "exit award". Which uni were you at?
Original post by DataVenia

It was the university of Cumbria, just unsure if it would have benefited me in any way

I do have a transcript of results from my first year then one from my second year too, but still unsure if I could use this for anything in the future
Original post by Megangallagher98
It was the university of Cumbria, just unsure if it would have benefited me in any way

According to page 6 of the Programme Specification for BSc (Hons) Nursing/Registered Nurse: Adult Nursing (well, all Nursing pathways, really) - which you can find here:

"You may be awarded one of the following Exit Awards if you fail to achieve the requirements of the full programme.
Certificate of Higher Education in Health Studies on completion of 120 CAT points level 4
Diploma in Higher Education in Health Studies on completion of 120 CAT points level 4 and 120 CAT points level 5
BSc Ordinary Degree in Health Studies on completion of 120 CAT points level 4 and 120 CAT points level 5 plus 60 CAT points level 6
BSc (Hons) Health Studies on completion of 120 CAT points level 4; 120 CAT points level 5 and 120 CAT points level 6"

Does you transcript show you as having fully completed the first two years (i.e. Level 4 and Level 5)? If so, then the above you seem to suggest that you would be eligible for an exit award of "Diploma in Higher Education in Health Studies". Did you drop-out right at the beginning of your final year, or part-way through? If part-way through, and you managed to get 60 CAT points (essentially 1/3 of the years' work), then you may be eligible for "BSc Ordinary Degree in Health Studies". It's certainly worth contacting the university to ask.

As you whether "the 2 years of nursing I did would count towards anything", that would very much depend on the course you were looking to change to, and whether Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)/Accredited Prior Learning (APL) would apply. As specified in C6.6, Internal Transfers, of Cumbria's Academic Regulations 2023/24:

"Where a current student transfers internally from one University of Cumbria programme to another, graded credit may be transferred to the new programme where appropriate and above the limits cited in 6.3.1, as approved by the Programme Leader in accordance with regulation C6.2."

However the fact that you dropped out and are (presumably) re-applying means that the above may not apply - as that's not a transfer. Again, it would be best to contact the uni directly for accurate information here. (The concept of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)/Accredited Prior Learning (APL) may apply even if you're not transferring, by the way.)

There certainly seem to be ways to capitalise on the two years you've already done.
According to page 6 of the Programme Specification for BSc (Hons) Nursing/Registered Nurse: Adult Nursing (well, all Nursing pathways, really) - which you can find here:

"You may be awarded one of the following Exit Awards if you fail to achieve the requirements of the full programme.
Certificate of Higher Education in Health Studies on completion of 120 CAT points level 4
Diploma in Higher Education in Health Studies on completion of 120 CAT points level 4 and 120 CAT points level 5
BSc Ordinary Degree in Health Studies on completion of 120 CAT points level 4 and 120 CAT points level 5 plus 60 CAT points level 6
BSc (Hons) Health Studies on completion of 120 CAT points level 4; 120 CAT points level 5 and 120 CAT points level 6"

Does you transcript show you as having fully completed the first two years (i.e. Level 4 and Level 5)? If so, then the above you seem to suggest that you would be eligible for an exit award of "Diploma in Higher Education in Health Studies". Did you drop-out right at the beginning of your final year, or part-way through? If part-way through, and you managed to get 60 CAT points (essentially 1/3 of the years' work), then you may be eligible for "BSc Ordinary Degree in Health Studies". It's certainly worth contacting the university to ask.

As you whether "the 2 years of nursing I did would count towards anything", that would very much depend on the course you were looking to change to, and whether Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)/Accredited Prior Learning (APL) would apply. As specified in C6.6, Internal Transfers, of Cumbria's Academic Regulations 2023/24:

"Where a current student transfers internally from one University of Cumbria programme to another, graded credit may be transferred to the new programme where appropriate and above the limits cited in 6.3.1, as approved by the Programme Leader in accordance with regulation C6.2."

However the fact that you dropped out and are (presumably) re-applying means that the above may not apply - as that's not a transfer. Again, it would be best to contact the uni directly for accurate information here. (The concept of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)/Accredited Prior Learning (APL) may apply even if you're not transferring, by the way.)

There certainly seem to be ways to capitalise on the two years you've already done.

I got 80 total pass credits in my first year and 200 in my second year, yeah I think I will maybe have to contact them and see where I stand with it.

I dropped out towards the end of my second year so I didn’t start by third year, I already changed course and I’m in my final year in my new course but I was just wondering about the nursing one,
Thank you for that information I will have a look into it 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending