The Student Room Group

LSE 2015 Postgraduate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Beyoncelove
Yay! Finally some sociologists :wink: ah I got my ID on the 5th of feb so it looks like I have a long wait ahead

Do let me know the result. Yes, doesn't seem to be many from the sociology department on here :confused:
Original post by mcmac89
I believe you should declare a lower amount, since you don't have the loan in hand. They do have a comment space, though, for if the amount they calculate differs from the amount the you say you need; so, you could state how much you need and explain that the family member's loan is not guaranteed/a last-ditch option.

Belated thanks for the reply.
I decided to do just that, but unfortunately it did not work out for me.

Btw. congrats to all the offer holders, anyone for Economic History? :smile:
Original post by Cult_Of_Poets
The scholarship only applies to UK students, who had full maintenance grant at undergraduate (so from low income, no parental support). At the talk I went to on funding at LSE they said it's for helping people that have no financial support from other sources. Hope that helps :smile:

Website

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/moneyMatters/financialSupport/ScholarshipsLSE/MScApp/ukGraduateStudents.aspx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or it's their first master's degree after £9000k fees or if they had partial maintenance grant or if not enough of above are found, other criteria.
(edited 9 years ago)
i got GSS!!!! YAY
Original post by LJayD
Looking forward to meeting you this fall!

me tooooo :biggrin:
Original post by LJayD
Looking forward to meeting you this fall!

what's ur undergrad major? is it anthropology? coz i hvnt studied anthropology before..... a bit nervous tbh lol
Reply 586
Original post by Deep456
Posted from TSR Mobile

Or it's their first master's degree after £9000k fees or if they had partial maintenance grant or if not enough of above are found, other criteria.

You're wrong (see below). You're thinking of the £10,000 Graduate Bursary (which is different from the 120th anniversary Scholarship). The bursary has the criteria you mentioned which is:

"LSE is delighted to announce at least 175 new LSE Graduate Bursaries of £10,000, supported jointly by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and the School.

As required by HEFCE, bursaries will be awarded to postgraduate students with UK (home) or EU fee status, who started their undergraduate courses in 2012/13, and were charged the higher fees of £6,000-£9,000 at a university in England.
The bursaries cover the following programmes at LSE:

one-year full-time master’s courses

two year full-time master’s courses

two year part-time master’s courses

across all LSE academic departments. Modular or Executive MSc programmes are not covered by the bursaries.
The bursaries will be awarded on the basis of financial circumstances and socio-economic data, as well as academic merit. " from thier website

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/moneyMatters/financialSupport/ScholarshipsLSE/MScApp/awards/HomeUKEUMSc/HomeSchols/LSEGraduateBursaries.aspx

Whereas the 120th anniversary scholarship is completely different with the following criteria:
[h="3"]"LSE 120th Anniversary Scholarships[/h] To celebrate the 120th anniversary of the founding of the School, LSE will be offering 120 Anniversary Scholarships for taught Master's students from the UK starting at LSE in 2015.

The awards will vary in value, based on financial need, and are designed to help with fees and living costs. The minimum award will be £3,000 and the maximum award will be worth £25,000.

Priority will be given to students from the UK who are applying for their first Master's programme and to recent graduates who were eligible for a maintenance grant during their undergraduate studies. "
http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/moneyMatters/financialSupport/ScholarshipsLSE/MScApp/ukGraduateStudents.aspx

I think you have got them mixed up,

One is for UK students one is for students who studied in the UK and got charged higher fees
You're wrong (see below). You're thinking of the £10,000 Graduate Bursary (which is different from the 120th anniversary Scholarship). The bursary has the criteria you mentioned which is:

"LSE is delighted to announce at least 175 new LSE Graduate Bursaries of £10,000, supported jointly by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and the School.

As required by HEFCE, bursaries will be awarded to postgraduate students with UK (home) or EU fee status, who started their undergraduate courses in 2012/13, and were charged the higher fees of £6,000-£9,000 at a university in England.
The bursaries cover the following programmes at LSE:

one-year full-time master’s courses

two year full-time master’s courses

two year part-time master’s courses

across all LSE academic departments. Modular or Executive MSc programmes are not covered by the bursaries.
The bursaries will be awarded on the basis of financial circumstances and socio-economic data, as well as academic merit. " from thier website

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/moneyMatters/financialSupport/ScholarshipsLSE/MScApp/awards/HomeUKEUMSc/HomeSchols/LSEGraduateBursaries.aspx

Whereas the 120th anniversary scholarship is completely different with the following criteria:
[h="3"]"LSE 120th Anniversary Scholarships[/h] To celebrate the 120th anniversary of the founding of the School, LSE will be offering 120 Anniversary Scholarships for taught Master's students from the UK starting at LSE in 2015.

The awards will vary in value, based on financial need, and are designed to help with fees and living costs. The minimum award will be £3,000 and the maximum award will be worth £25,000.

Priority will be given to students from the UK who are applying for their first Master's programme and to recent graduates who were eligible for a maintenance grant during their undergraduate studies. "

I think you have got them mixed up,

One is for UK students one is for students who studied in the UK and got charged higher fees

What are you talking about? Read the bold, it says clearly what I am saying. I don't know where you plucked full maintenance grant from? It doesn't say that nor does it say that if you aren't in receipt of one, that you cannot apply. If it is your first master's programme, you are eligible to apply.

The clue is in the name, Bursaries take into account academic merit but do so less than a Scholarship.

I also have one of the scholarships so I know what I am talking about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sounds like you made a better choice for you then :smile: :smile:

Have you got an offer already?

Yes I did! In January I received the awaited email with a conditional offer, which became unconditional when I submitted my IELTS test results.

It seems we will be studying at the same department, then.

Now what drives me a little bit crazy is the accommodation stuff... I am decided to find a flat in London to share with 2/3 more students, but first I have to find students in the same situation. I guess I'll move to London by the end of August to secure a flat before the master kicks off.

So, might anyone be interested, just contact me! I know it is way too soon, but just saying.
Reply 589
Original post by Deep456
What are you talking about? Read the bold, it says clearly what I am saying. I don't know where you plucked full maintenance grant from? It doesn't say that nor does it say that if you aren't in receipt of one, that you cannot apply. If it is your first master's programme, you are eligible to apply.

The clue is in the name, Bursaries take into account academic merit but do so less than a Scholarship.

I also have one of the scholarships so I know what I am talking about.

Ok well just saying, I got the 'full maintenance grant' bit from the talk I went to at LSE on graduate funding, in which they said it makes it much more likely for you to get 120th anniversary scholarship funding if you got full maintenance.

the 120th scholarship has nothing do with whether you paid 9,000 fees or not, but the bursary does. That is why you confused me regarding your previous comment :confused:, as you said criteria for the scholarship was to do with criteria like '9,000 fees'. Which it is not, according to the LSE website.
Reply 590
Original post by GerardDR
Yes I did! In January I received the awaited email with a conditional offer, which became unconditional when I submitted my IELTS test results.

It seems we will be studying at the same department, then.

Now what drives me a little bit crazy is the accommodation stuff... I am decided to find a flat in London to share with 2/3 more students, but first I have to find students in the same situation. I guess I'll move to London by the end of August to secure a flat before the master kicks off.

So, might anyone be interested, just contact me! I know it is way too soon, but just saying.

I already live in London so don't need to find accommodation (thankfully, one less thing to worry about!).

It's probably good to make some connections with other potential flatmates in forums. And Goodluck finding people. :smile:

Is there an accommodation networking site anywhere on here, or otherwise? I don't know but there may be one. And I think there may be a facebook page for people with a place on a LSE postgrad course. Unfortunately I don't have the link though.
I already live in London so don't need to find accommodation (thankfully, one less thing to worry about!).

It's probably good to make some connections with other potential flatmates in forums. And Goodluck finding people. :smile:

Is there an accommodation networking site anywhere on here, or otherwise? I don't know but there may be one. And I think there may be a facebook page for people with a place on a LSE postgrad course. Unfortunately I don't have the link though.

There is a tool called StudentPad (more or less) enabled by LSE to find people to share flat with. Let's see if it's any useful.
Reply 592
Original post by smv2
Hi I deferred my 2014-15 LSE offer which was rejected immediately. And when I say immediately, I mean within one day! And then I re-instated my application, which got accepted. If your deferral is rejected, your offer still holds!

All the best!

Thanks mate.

It took them 2 weeks to reject my deferral request. I was really hoping they would've accepted it.

I've already reinstated my application from last year (when I was put in the programme reserve list as I applied a bit late) so I'm not sure what my chances would be if I reinstate again. After all, I'd need to write a new personal statement as my situation has changed since I first wrote it (different job).

I really didn't want to go through all this uncertainty again. I'm so disappointed right now.

I'll have to think it through carefully to try and go this year but it's not going to be easy!
Does anyone know if you can change your second choice? If this is possible how does it work?
Thank you ;-)
Offer kinda received for the dual degree program :biggrin:
Original post by davidolce
Offer kinda received for the dual degree program :biggrin:

Which one? :biggrin:
Could anyone post the email to contact the graduate admissions team at LSE , I have some specific questions I need clarified
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by daemonhassan
Could anyone post the email to contact the graduate admissions team at LSE , I have some specific questions I need clarified

I am not sure if they have a specific contact email for the graduate admissions office, I believe you may have to go through here to get an answer:

https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/enquiries/enquiry.html?a=2&c=2
Do let me know the result. Yes, doesn't seem to be many from the sociology department on here :confused:

Yes feels a bit lonely...I will let you know! Let me know about ur updates too :biggrin:
Reply 599
Hi, I applied a couple of weeks ago to the Masters in Management course and just got an email from the programme director saying,

To introduce myself, I am programme director on the MSc Management at the LSE. A quick note from me to say that I enjoyed reading your application form and hope you will accept the formal offer (which will of course be conditional on your final degree result) when it comes through! In the meantime, if you have any questions about the programme, please do let me know.
Best wishes
Sandy

Does this mean i've been accepted? My application tracker hasnt changed though...i'm a bit confused, :?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending