The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Anyone Currently Studying Audiology at Middlesex?

Is anyone currently studying Audiology at Middlesex? If so, which year are you in and would you like to tell us how you are finding the course generally? Any information would be very helpful.

Also, where are your placements?
Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h:
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Hey,
I'm a first year Audiology student at Middlesex university. The course so far is like a summary of a level biology plus topics not covered before, mixed in with a bit of physics and maths. I did Biology at a level so for me I am refreshing my knowledge and learning new topics at the same time. Also, Mdx Uni works alongside UCL to teach Audiology students and the majority of second and third year modules will require us going over to UCL to be taught by them. This, for me, was a bonus when deciding which uni's to firm and I am glad I chose Mdx. For placements, there is 10 weeks in the first year; 15 weeks in the second year; and 25 weeks in the third and final year. I will be going on placement at the end of January - there is a wide variety of places for placements, mainly hospitals in and around London.

I hope this helps you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ArsenalGirl24
Hey,
I'm a first year Audiology student at Middlesex university. The course so far is like a summary of a level biology plus topics not covered before, mixed in with a bit of physics and maths. I did Biology at a level so for me I am refreshing my knowledge and learning new topics at the same time. Also, Mdx Uni works alongside UCL to teach Audiology students and the majority of second and third year modules will require us going over to UCL to be taught by them. This, for me, was a bonus when deciding which uni's to firm and I am glad I chose Mdx. For placements, there is 10 weeks in the first year; 15 weeks in the second year; and 25 weeks in the third and final year. I will be going on placement at the end of January - there is a wide variety of places for placements, mainly hospitals in and around London.

I hope this helps you :smile:

Thank you - very interesting and useful. I didn't know about going over to UCL in second and third year. Will this affect where you live in your second and third year? How many people are in your year?
Original post by ayeeel
Thank you - very interesting and useful. I didn't know about going over to UCL in second and third year. Will this affect where you live in your second and third year? How many people are in your year?

You're welcome :smile:
It will affect where you live because you will have to travel to UCL to be taught but some modules will be taught by Middlesex. Also you will be spending a lot of time in placement. I'm not too sure on which place you'd spend the most amount of time (I'm only first year) so deciding on your accom may prove to be tricky.
As for class sizes, I think there are about 19/20 Audiology studens but in the first year you're taught with students from other healthcare science courses too.
Reply 5
You're welcome :smile:
It will affect where you live because you will have to travel to UCL to be taught but some modules will be taught by Middlesex. Also you will be spending a lot of time in placement. I'm not too sure on which place you'd spend the most amount of time (I'm only first year) so deciding on your accom may prove to be tricky.
As for class sizes, I think there are about 19/20 Audiology studens but in the first year you're taught with students from other healthcare science courses too.

What is the pattern of lectures and practicals? Are they every day? I think at the open day they might have said that they were only 3 days a week. Is this right in the first year? Do you have a name for someone on the administration side of Audiology that I could speak to to clear up a few questions I have please?
Original post by ayeeel
What is the pattern of lectures and practicals? Are they every day? I think at the open day they might have said that they were only 3 days a week. Is this right in the first year? Do you have a name for someone on the administration side of Audiology that I could speak to to clear up a few questions I have please?

We have two full days of university a week. As for someone you could talk to, have you tried looking at the course page on the website? I think the details are all there.
Reply 7
We have two full days of university a week. As for someone you could talk to, have you tried looking at the course page on the website? I think the details are all there.

Thanks. I'll have another look on the website. Are the practicals included in the two days?
Original post by ayeeel
Thanks. I'll have another look on the website. Are the practicals included in the two days?

In the first year we don't really have practicals. We have 2 for one module which we've already done and 1 for another module that we've already done but we had to write a lab report on that (counted towards our module grade). That's all for first year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
hi, I am thinking of studying audiology at Middlesex, but just wanted to know about the type of assessment they do. In the first year are there any exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending