The Student Room Group

Uni dilemnas... (Marketing and Advertising)

Hello :biggrin:
I have just started AS: Maths, Economics, English lang and Psychology, and I have started to research into universities. I have an interest in Marketing, Advertising and how language is manipulated to an audience. With a target of 4 A's, I would really like to attend a top/Russell group university as I would like my degree to be rigorous! I am not sure if Marketing would be sufficient for this. Moreover, starting salaries in this career are quite low. Basically, I want to aim high, do you guys have any ideas about uni courses/careers I could look into?
Thankyou.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi Jaycake24,

My advice, as a HR professional in a marketing agency, is to do a little more research into what part of marketing/advertising you are interested in.

Marketing has become very focused on analysis over the past few years as digital marketing/advertising is much more measurable. It's a rare marketer who doesn't know their way around a spreadsheet.

The profile of someone who is successful in marketing is often a BSc/STEM degree, followed by a more specific marketing masters degree.

I would always recommend someone to study Mathematics, or a traditional subject such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English, History, Geography. Economics is also very relevant to marketing, as marketing is really about getting people to spend their hard earned money!

I agree that a Russell group University will help you secure interviews for top tier brands and agencies.

If it's the creative side of marketing, such as Copywriting, I would advise an English or History degree rather than Marketing or Advertising.

You will find that studying a traditional subject at a Russell Group University will set you up for life, and also leave your options open for when you graduate. It won't be a surprise to you to learn that many people change their mind from 17 to 21, as a lot happens at University to change the way you think!

Starting salaries in marketing/advertising are generally between £14-18k, so certainly low compared to other careers. It's not a career for those people who are motivated by money.

I hope this helps

Phil Blaydes
Recruitment Manager
Forward3D

Quick Reply

Latest