The Student Room Group

If you don't find your partner at uni or college there is no hope? True or false

Scroll to see replies

There are so many other ways! A lot of people prefer to stay single throughout college/uni.

The last (long term) partner I had, I randomly met at my local gig/club venue. We were together for two years. I'd say a lot of people meet long term partners through mutual friends, work, online, etc.
I'm starting to believe this is true, sadly. The only new people i've met since finishing uni are my friends boy/girlfriends :pierre:

Hopefully my next job has people my own age.
I remember when I started university this year they did say statistically speaking you're most likely to find your future partner at uni but that doesn't mean if you don't, you won't at all. There's many ways of finding a future partner other than university or college.
Buy a Ukrainian mail order bride then tape a tenner to your jolly pencil and she is yours.
Reply 24
Original post by sr90
I'm starting to believe this is true, sadly. The only new people i've met since finishing uni are my friends boy/girlfriends :pierre:

Hopefully my next job has people my own age.

same i am experiencing this
That's ridiculous, false
My parents met at uni. They are still together and all.

Kind of weird knowing that at my age my dad had already met my mum. Why am I so useless? :cry:

It really bothers me sometimes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Considering the average age for marriage is 29 for women and 31 for men, its rather unlikely that you meet your partner at university.
Original post by OU Student
- mutual friends
- interest groups
- work

Hahaha. ..don't forget some guy stopped the car on the street to ask for my number ..He was such a perv kept staring at my lips for some reason!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most people I know met their partner through work, either post-uni or they just didn't go at all.
My parents met whilst my dad was at uni, but even that wasn't through uni - they had mutual friends.

Most people I know at uni, aside from myself, are single. But I don't really count as 'met at uni' as I was with my boyfriend far before we went to uni.

So, no. I suppose uni's a good place for meeting 'like-minded people' etc etc but there are plenty more opportunities to meet people.
Reply 30
Met my other half racing. :biggrin:
Original post by Rock Fan
Found a girlfriend at my work place so I will say false.

you have 30,000 posts but never been repped?
Reply 32
most people meet through online,they is no way you can meet someone in person and ask them for their number without looking like a creep
Reply 33
Basically, it's probably your best shot, but it's not impossible outside of uni.
False.
You can meet anywhere!! I've slept with loads of guys on holiday! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
False.

University may be the easier time to meet a partner with similar interests, such as doing the same course or part of the same society, but by no means is university the be all and end all for finding a partner. If that were true, how would you account for every married couple who didn't go to university? :lol:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Uni is a good place to meet many women of a certain calibre, in chilled contexts, at a certain stage in their life (before they potentially turn into e.g. mums/gold diggers/career whores/sluts/bitter and resentful, or distrustful, of men etc). I would say it is fairly unparalleled in that sense, but by no means your only shot!

:lol: I would say that every "e.g." is correct apart from this one. If they are inherently sluts then that would have come out at uni.

The rest, however, are certainly true. "Bitter and resentful" comes in pretty sharply in the 30's and gets progressively worse in many cases. Same with a lot of men.
Re thread topic, only those without much choice (and ability to attract a partner) in their lives worry about such things.
Reply 39
False. None of my friends met their long term partner at uni. For me uni was (sadly) a water water everywhere but not a drop to drink experience. Happy things improved in the world at work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending