The Student Room Group

Whats the most stupid rule your school has?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
- Banning turtle necks because it "emphasis's" cleavage.
-Sending girls home if the skirt "emphasis's" their figure (Yet which they can't help)
- Not allowing any sort of phone in school, even if that means making an emergency phone call.

How in the heck does a turtleneck emphasise cleavage?! It's the only shirt style I know that fully covers up a girls chest right up to their neck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 441
Original post by Nimrahk123
All the stupid ones were based on looks
No make up
No fake nails
Ties lot your belly button
No short skirts
Only leather shoes
No piercing

No that I followed any, but got a detention pretty much every week because of uniform rules.

At sixth form its no denim. Which I again ignore alongside most of the student population.

I hated unifrom rules allways being told to tuck my shirt in do my top button up no miss it chokes me i use to say how does an untucked shirt effect my learning . i also never followed the rules and most of my detentions were uniform ones
Original post by TotallyWilde
No wearing blazers indoors since "they're not part of the school uniform" THEN WHY DID MY MUM SPEND LIKE £60 ON IT??? And here's the killer: these girls in my year were told of for not wearing their jumpers over the school shirts since "these white winter shirts must not be worn with neon or dark coloured undergarments. WHITE/ LIGHT bras are permitted". And this rule is new too...

Anyway, I don't like rules in terms of clothes. Clothes are a part of personality in a certain degree. To rule the wearing of clothes means to restrict the personality. Do you agree with me?
My school didn't really have any unreasonable rules - this thread's making me so angry though. I'm sorry for what some of you have had to put up with!
Original post by Palonirya
My school didn't really have any unreasonable rules (...)

You are a lucky fellow. Hope that you appreciate(d) your time at school. Unreasonable rules were the personal reason Why I catched school time up by second-chance-education.
Gotta show the crest on their precious tie lol
No frilly socks because you could trip up on them!
In my lower school MFL classes, you got detentions whenever you failed spelling tests, even if you studied hard for them but struggled.
Reply 448
Original post by Kaira1up

In assembly we were told students may only walk alone or with one friend in the corridors and outside there were to be no groups larger than four.

Pretty ridiculous right?

I recall my school trying to introduce something similar. "no groups larger than 3" was the rule, which led to hilarity amongst us 6th formers of the time as we ran between the groups of 3 younger kids and insisted that one of them had to leave immediately otherwise a teacher would put them all in detention.

Needless the say the rule was completely unenforceable and quickly dropped.
No phones whatsoever in corridors. I checked the time a few days ago on my phone and the deputy walked past and told me off :angry:
We had to wear a uniform in 6th form, which was pretty ridiculous. The skirt had to have the school logo on and I was almost taken out of my lessons because my trousers were cropped. This isn't the Victorian era - I don't see how my ankles effect my education.

Also, absolutely no physical contact. You couldn't hug anyone because a teacher might have thought you were attacking them?
Original post by RCLeahcar
In my lower school MFL classes, you got detentions whenever you failed spelling tests, even if you studied hard for them but struggled.

I think in my lower school Spanish class we all had to stay in for five minutes at break time once because during a spelling test we all forgot that the days of the week don't have capital letters. We had never been told this exclusively, we had just been expected to know, and somehow using capital letters out of habit warranted that kind of punishment.
My secondary school banned hugs :biggrin:. It was the head teacher and I think its because his wife just left him
I can't believe how lucky I've been throughout my schooling. Lunches were compulsory in lower school but had been like that for many many years and just one of the things that parents accepted on our behalf. Uniform was compulsory all the way through but I can't remember anything so draconian as some of the petty rules for rules sake that I've read throughout this thread.
I think we would've liked to have no uniform for upper 6 instead of a 6th year band on our Blazers. 5th and 6th year were pretty cool since as senior pupils some of the teachers recognised us as human beings - almost! In 6th -I just left at summer time - we were a bit annoyed though as the school chose our year to tighten up some of the rules for instance bein in school for the beginning of the day instead of just for our classes. That went down like a lead balloon! They also tried to stop us leaving school before lunchtime but it was ok to leave for a driving lesson. I always ignored that rule on principle. Another one I refused, backed by my mum,was handing in a signed note if for any reason I wasn't in school and missed a class. My mum contacted head of 6th and very politely told her that as she always emailed school to let them know I was going to be out of school etc that she would not under any circumstance be sending in signed notes since I was almost 18 years of age and a young adult. With the policy of phoning or emailing in if a student was off sick etc, my mum just refused to duplicate the exercise. I didn't take in sick notes for years so was a bit bizarre school trying to reinforce this as we were about to end school. I also once got into the slightest bit of trouble for having the audacity to come to school with a red extension in the side of my hair after getting it all chopped off. Nothing much was said for a few weeks but when it came to an away netball match, the PE teacher told my parents it would have to come out for me to participate. As I was getting my hair cut in a few days I was allowed to have it pinned back for the match. This was all done very civilly. Lol I just think my school had never had to deal with a 13 year old with a hair extension. They didn't have anything in the rule book about it 😂😂😂
(edited 7 years ago)
Same here. ....but like h**l does do it!
Original post by oswalds
We had to wear a uniform in 6th form, which was pretty ridiculous. The skirt had to have the school logo on and I was almost taken out of my lessons because my trousers were cropped. This isn't the Victorian era - I don't see how my ankles effect my education.

Also, absolutely no physical contact. You couldn't hug anyone because a teacher might have thought you were attacking them?

lmao, my friend stabbed my other friend with a pair of compasses and teacher didn't even care

Posted from TSR Mobile
That if you missed a late time detention (a 15 minute detention at break if you were late to school) then u got put in IEU

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't be seen out of the gate with Tie un-knotted and tied decently otherwise = an instant Detto
I wasn't allowed to wear nail polish. Make-up up I can understand but nail polish really? 😒
Original post by Charonder
At our school, before this year, people would wear jumpers over their shirts and then wear blazers on top in the winter because it was really cold. Most people would then take their jumpers off when they got into school, which was fair enough for uniform rules, but now they've banned jumpers altogether, you're not even allowed to wear it on your bus, one reason for this being that it ill-represents the school. I'd rather not freeze to death to be honest. Not sure how they plan to enforce that.

Pathetic!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending