The Student Room Group

could anyone answer a few questions about corner shops for a uni project ???

1. how old are you?

2. do you live in a rural/suburban/city area?

3. if they were equally accessible, would you rather go to a corner shop or a supermarket?
why?

4. do you think that there is anything about corner shops that give them an advantage over supermarkets?

5. are you concerned with how cashiers etc. in a corner shop may judge you on what/how much/how often you buy specific items?

6. what items have you bought at a corner shop/off licence before?

7. do you purchase any of those items more frequently than others (at a corner shop)?

8. is there anything that you find off putting about corner shops?

9. do you think that corner shops will ever completely die out?
sure i'll help :smile:
1. how old are you?

rural

3. if they were equally accessible, would you rather go to a corner shop or a supermarket?
why? i have two corner shops near my house :smile:

4. do you think that there is anything about corner shops that give them an advantage over supermarkets?
just a lot quicker to get the same products

5. are you concerned with how cashiers etc. in a corner shop may judge you on what/how much/how often you buy specific items?
not really

usually just buy crisps haha so often

7. do you purchase any of those items more frequently than others (at a corner shop)?
no

they have weird employees haha

don't think they will
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by masscl
1. how old are you? 18+

2. do you live in a rural/suburban/city area? city

why?

supermarket- cheaper

they are at every corners but nothing advantageous

No

bread
drinks
sweets
medicine
snacks

mainly drinks

they are very expensive

no
Reply 3
(((I'm probably not the best person to answer this but it's always good to hear about a range of opinions? :smile: )))

Original post by masscl
1. how old are you?

Original post by masscl

Somewhere between rural and suburban - a medium sized town in the west, so the whole region is fairly rural

Original post by masscl
3. if they were equally accessible, would you rather go to a corner shop or a supermarket? why?

Personally as a young person, I find corner shops a lot more appropriate for me than larger supermarkets, as I am still living at home and therefore don't do the 'weekly shop' myself. However, the deals in supermarkets tend to be better so if they were both within the same distance, I would probably go to a supermarket if I knew I wanted something specific

Original post by masscl

More personable - I live in a town that strong encourages the residents to support small businesses and I think one would thrive in my area.

Original post by masscl

I don't think so! Shops have different people working in a lot of the time so you usually come into contact with a variety of people. If anything, it would be nice for them to pick up on you buying the same thing repeatedly - it could be a conversation starter.

Original post by masscl

It depends what you define as a corner shop. My best friend lives down the road from a Tesco Express so I've bought a lot from there in the past as it is so convenient, but it's not an independent business, if that's what you're insinuating? If that is, I used to live round the corner from a corner shop and I used to buy sweets from there most mornings on the way to school when I was 10.

Original post by masscl

If I had a corner shop that was genuinely local, I think it would be things like milk/bread that I would buy most often, but then also if I was sat doing homework and needed a break, I would walk down and get myself some sort of sweet treat to break up the day a bit.

Original post by masscl

If I'm honest, sometimes it's the other customers, especially the corner shops in more rough areas where they handle most often the topping up of electricity meters and cigarette sales... Not to create a stereotype, but the people you find there tend to be quite intimidating and can be off-putting to me, as a teenage girl.

Original post by masscl

I would hope not. Then again, it depends on your definition. I think it's quite possible for them to be taken over by larger chains such as Co-op or Tesco putting up smaller shops, but they still have that 'corner shop convenience' to them so as a consumer, you won't really be missing out.
Too long
1. how old are you? 28

2. do you live in a rural/suburban/city area? Fairly urban - near a city

why? It depends what you mean by corner shop. If it was a greengrocers and butchers - I'd rather go there. A small newsagents wouldn't have all the items I need so I'd go to a supermarket.

4. do you think that there is anything about corner shops that give them an advantage over supermarkets? Location and getting to know customers.

5. are you concerned with how cashiers etc. in a corner shop may judge you on what/how much/how often you buy specific items? I'd be embarrassed to go too often but I probably wouldn't be embarrassed by what I bought.

6. what items have you bought at a corner shop/off licence before? I used to buy cigarettes. I've bought magazines and sweets or chocolate.

7. do you purchase any of those items more frequently than others (at a corner shop)? I don't use corner shops often. If I do, probably for a birthday card,

8. is there anything that you find off putting about corner shops? The selection of items.

9. do you think that corner shops will ever completely die out? Not completely but there will be fewer of them.

Please return the favour by completing mine! https://derby.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eWgnu4og5G5SIJf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending