The Student Room Group

Life as an Exchange Student in Spain

Hey there :biggrin:

Have you ever daydreamed about living in another country? Are you itching to travel, unravel the unknown, and forge friendships with people from every corner of the globe? If so, welcome to my world! My name is Julia, and I am on a year-long student exchange within the placement year in Bilbao, Spain. I am about to give you a sneak peek into my life abroad. Fair warning: after this, you might catch the travel bug!

Now, picture this: my day starts with the quintessential cup of coffee. But here is the twist you do not expect I have a lineup of cosy coffee spots right outside my door where locals gather year-round from the very morning till evening. When I am feeling Spanish vibes, I slip into one of these spots before class, sipping coffee and soaking in the slow-life atmosphere. On other days, it is coffee with a mountain view from my balcony.

Mornings are for leisurely reads, remote work responsibilities, or shopping therapy (unfortunately, I mean mainly grocery shopping). Nonetheless, being financially independent, I find myself working for most of my mornings. I wear two hats from being a Student Ambassador to giving English tutorials online. Spain also provides a few work opportunities for exchange students, like teaching at language schools. With part-time jobs and the Turing Scheme funding, I have the means to pretty much live it up during my exchange.

Let's talk about living arrangements. I pay around 450 euros per month, while the average is below 400. My flat might be a little pricier, but it is worth every euro. Modern, cosy, with just two flatmates and my own balcony. And the location? Could not be better embedded in a safe neighbourhood with all amenities (grocery stores, pharmacies, a bakery, food places, and so on) a stone's throw away. The cherry on top? I have a mere 15-minute walk to reach the stunning old town, just 10 minutes to get to both the university and the city centre, and a mere 5-minute stroll to access various public transportation options. It is no wonder I believe that my neighbourhood is the best choice for exchange students.

Now, onto academics. Choosing subjects and crafting my own timetable was a game-changer. No early mornings here classes do not commence until 2 pm, starting with a one-hour Spanish course from Monday to Thursday. Following Spanish on Mondays and Wednesdays, I have sessions on Psychological Intervention and Treatment, and Marriage Therapy, keeping me occupied until around 6 pm. Tuesdays and Thursdays are reserved for my final subject, Personal and Communication Skills in Patient Care which happens between 5:30 and 6:30 pm. Purposefully, I kept my Fridays free to ensure greater flexibility for travel plans.

Studying in Spain vs. the UK? There is a notable contrast in the university experience. In Spain, lectures tend to be lengthier, with a heavier emphasis on group projects and a higher frequency of exams and assignments throughout the academic year. However, there is a noticeable reduction in mandatory reading, and because many assessments are collaborative, the workload feels more manageable. It is a learning curve, but I am honing my teamwork skills like a pro.

Post-classes, you will find me by the riverside, nose buried in a book or homework on a bench, soaking up the sun (unless it's raining, of course!). Later in the evenings, there are plenty of activities organised for Erasmus students, ranging from karaoke nights and parties to museum visits, picnics, and various games like beer pong, board games, and bingo. These events are coordinated by two Erasmus associations in Bilbao. Whenever my friends and I feel like engaging in something fun, we can easily check their Instagram calendars and join in on the activities.

Weekends are for wanderlust. I am off exploring Spain's hidden gems solo or alongside the Erasmus Associations, which consistently organise diverse excursions. I have taken one-day trips to nearby destinations from Bilbao and ventured on two-day journeys further across Spain to delve deeper into its beauty. Each time I explore a new corner of Spain, I find myself increasingly enamoured with its stunning landscapes and rich culture. And each trip? A new chapter of friendships and breathtaking vistas.

Staying put in Bilbao? No problemo! The city is a culinary paradise, offering numerous excellent restaurants serving an array of cuisines. Whether you crave authentic Spanish dishes, top-tier pizzas ranked among the best in Europe, or street food delights like kebabs, you are sure to find something satisfying. Moreover, prices are wallet-friendly, allowing me to indulge in dining out for breakfast or treating myself to a hearty sandwich featuring Spanish cheese and ham a personal favourite of mine!

And do not get me started on the views - river, hills and beaches combination. Furthermore, the city hosts multiple cultural events throughout the year, reflective of the Spanish love for fiestas. From enchanting candlelight concerts to immersive experiences like the Van Gogh Immersive Experience, there is always something intriguing to do. Simply put, my affection for this city knows no bounds!

So, there you have it my life in Bilbao summed up in a nutshell. I hope you will find this information useful :wink: There are countless aspects I could delve into further, so if you have any questions or want to know more about any topic, please feel free to reach out :h: You can chat with me and other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia :smile:
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending