The Student Room Group

Is this 'too' personal to put on a P.S.

I am applying to Physiotherapy for uni.. In my P.S. I've put my personal experiences as a patient when I injured my shoulders years ago, ..

She said don't include it because it is too personal and they can use it against you, she said it is similar to someone saying "I began my interest in being a firefighter since my mother died in a housefire" she says it is relevant but not exactly what Admission tutors want to hear.

So is it true or not?
Reply 1
I think it depends on how you put it..
Reply 2
Like if you say, my experience of being the patient made me realize the importance of the quality of treatment or something in your field and what it made you realize...that should be okay to mention then i think ?
Put it in briefly, dont over do it
Reply 4
Original post by a9493r
Like if you say, my experience of being the patient made me realize the importance of the quality of treatment or something in your field and what it made you realize...that should be okay to mention then i think ?

This. Don't give a sob story, and if you do mention it, focus on WHY it is helpful to your application e.g. got you interested in the practitioners, or made you realize the importance of X, as a9493r said. I wouldn't use too many characters on it though, its more of a useful anecdote than an important thing to mention.
Reply 5
True, just something that can be mentioned as a short supporting point..
Also, don't be negative about your experience
Reply 7
Alright got it, thank you guys for the big help, I really appreciate it. :smile:
Reply 8
Extract from your experience what is positive and relevant to your application. The second sentence of my Personal Statement for Medicine was about an operation I had that contributed to my interest. Just keep it short and sweet, one line about it is more than enough.
I thought this thread was going to be about something different...
If you have to ask, then yes. It doesn't seem to contribute anything :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending