The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter university or Nottingham university?

I'm in a total dilemma- I have received offers from both Exeter and Nottingham and I don't know how to choose which one. Exeter gave me a conditional offer of AAA and Nottingham gave me an unconditional offer on the basis that I put them as my first choice. The opportunity to have an unconditional offer is very exciting and would really lift the pressure- Nottingham have also informed me I've been added to the 'high fliers initiative' I'm not quite sure what this is but I'm guessing it would look good on a CV, and the uni seem to really want me there. I'm aware Exeter is higher in the league tables but I was wondering if anyone could tell me which one really is better to go to, in terms of employment etc? Which one would look better? I'm studying English with Classical studies. In all honesty I want to choose Nottingham but not if it really is significantly worse than Exeter. Someone help please!
Original post by elenacarruthers
I'm in a total dilemma- I have received offers from both Exeter and Nottingham and I don't know how to choose which one. Exeter gave me a conditional offer of AAA and Nottingham gave me an unconditional offer on the basis that I put them as my first choice. The opportunity to have an unconditional offer is very exciting and would really lift the pressure- Nottingham have also informed me I've been added to the 'high fliers initiative' I'm not quite sure what this is but I'm guessing it would look good on a CV, and the uni seem to really want me there. I'm aware Exeter is higher in the league tables but I was wondering if anyone could tell me which one really is better to go to, in terms of employment etc? Which one would look better? I'm studying English with Classical studies. In all honesty I want to choose Nottingham but not if it really is significantly worse than Exeter. Someone help please!

I don't know a lot about Exeter aside from looking at a few courses there, but I do know that Nottingham has a great employment record for graduates (that's part of the reason that convinced me to go there). They're targeted by a lot of graduate employers, and I don't think that choosing either of these universities would be a bad move in terms of your future employment. The most important thing once you've got a university at the level of these two is just how well you do in your degree and how much experience you get while studying.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I'm trying to decide between Nottingham and Exeter Cornwall campus, and if finding it hard as there aren't any specific employment stats and stuff for the Cornwall campus, although you do graduate with an Exeter degree so I don't know whether it'd look better to a prospective employer? Any ideas? :P
the complete university guide shows that Exeter is higher placed in the general, English and classics tables and has better graduate prospects. Both are excellent unis and you need to choose the one that suits you best in terms of lifestyle and course content. The most important single aspect is that you are comfortable where you study. League tables never tell you this and unconditional offers should really have no impact on your decision. The only reason unis are offering them is to entice into going there to help them meet their numbers. If Nottingham have offered you an unconditional it is because they have no doubt you will reach their entry requirements. Your best course of action is to nothing now attend the 2 visit days then make your choice.
Hi there,
It's a tough decision to make and one I went through myself! I did take a gap year so had the benefit of unconditional offers which alleviated some of the concerns you're facing. I went to a Nottingham Open Day before realising that Exeter was an option for me and really enjoyed it- the staff seemed really supportive and encouraging and the whole experience was great; I felt like I would easily fit in. I eventually decided that Exeter would offer me a better course with more flexibility and more focus on the things I really wanted to do, but that's a personal thing and I would have had no qualms about going to Nottingham at all.

I'm now halfway through my first year at Exeter studying Economics with French through the Flexible Combined Honours programme and absolutely love it. It's a lovely city (albeit more the friendly/quiet type, so it depends on what you're looking for!) and I've made some amazing friends and am thoroughly enjoying the student experience. I know they have a fantastic reputation for both English and Classics (and I have friends who study both), but honestly, the uni rankings aren't everything and Nottingham is still right up there anyway. It seems that both are interested in having you, so the question is, what do they have to offer you and what's going to be really important to you over the next few years? For me it was the course; a lot of the rest of it was looking forward to The Uni Experience, which I'm sure I would have enjoyed in a good variety of places (although it did take me a little while to realise that).
But at the end of the day, uni will be whatever you make of it, both are exceptionally good universities, so you can't really make a bad choice here. Ultimately, you'll do better wherever you're happiest, and although Exeter has modern facilities and a great reputation, if you know you'd be happier in Nottingham, go with the gut instinct.
Good luck!
Original post by CloudedSilver
I'm trying to decide between Nottingham and Exeter Cornwall campus, and if finding it hard as there aren't any specific employment stats and stuff for the Cornwall campus, although you do graduate with an Exeter degree so I don't know whether it'd look better to a prospective employer? Any ideas? :P

Its still and Exeter degree and makes no difference which campus it is
Original post by rebeccariot95
Hi there,
It's a tough decision to make and one I went through myself! I did take a gap year so had the benefit of unconditional offers which alleviated some of the concerns you're facing. I went to a Nottingham Open Day before realising that Exeter was an option for me and really enjoyed it- the staff seemed really supportive and encouraging and the whole experience was great; I felt like I would easily fit in. I eventually decided that Exeter would offer me a better course with more flexibility and more focus on the things I really wanted to do, but that's a personal thing and I would have had no qualms about going to Nottingham at all.

I'm now halfway through my first year at Exeter studying Economics with French through the Flexible Combined Honours programme and absolutely love it. It's a lovely city (albeit more the friendly/quiet type, so it depends on what you're looking for!) and I've made some amazing friends and am thoroughly enjoying the student experience. I know they have a fantastic reputation for both English and Classics (and I have friends who study both), but honestly, the uni rankings aren't everything and Nottingham is still right up there anyway. It seems that both are interested in having you, so the question is, what do they have to offer you and what's going to be really important to you over the next few years? For me it was the course; a lot of the rest of it was looking forward to The Uni Experience, which I'm sure I would have enjoyed in a good variety of places (although it did take me a little while to realise that).
But at the end of the day, uni will be whatever you make of it, both are exceptionally good universities, so you can't really make a bad choice here. Ultimately, you'll do better wherever you're happiest, and although Exeter has modern facilities and a great reputation, if you know you'd be happier in Nottingham, go with the gut instinct.
Good luck!

Hi! I've applied for FCH this year and have been waiting since November to hear. Do you mind me asking what your predicted grades were because i'm incredibly nervous about whether i'll get an offer or not. I've applied for Economics and Geography with A*AB predictions

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was slightly different for me, I had an unconditional offer because I'd already done my A-levels. I think it depends on the subjects you want to be doing; Economics I know is fairly high, but I couldn't comment on Geography. If you like I could put you in contact with the people in charge of FCH and you could ask them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending