The Student Room Group

How much money do you spend at Christmas?

For EVERYTHING, so presents and food etc etc. We usually do a £200 shop, so me, my brothers and Dad all put in £50 and that covers all food and alcohol etc needed for Christmas. Then presents I probably spend about...£300 total maybe? I know some people who spend FAR more at Christmas though.

p.s I don't think this is a thread yet but if it is sorry :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I save money by not getting my partner anything for Christmas. We always get each other a card and write a lot of soppy stuff in it as well as our jokes and put it up on the wall along with our maps of where we have been and old bday/Xmas cards and photos. We just treat each other throughout the year when we have money to spend rather than at Xmas since money is usually tighter at this time of year. Though he got me a laptop for my Xmas this year from his savings as my old one broke so I don't see many treats throughout next year now :tongue:

As for presents for my mum, gran, papa and stepdad I have spent about £70 between them all this year. They know money is tight as we are both students but are happy to have some pressies to open up for us.

My mum does the cooking and I usually give her £20 or something to go towards the cook or some drink for the day. I think my mum spends about £100 on food and drink but I dunno for sure. I would have to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
We probably spend about £200 on food.

For gifts, I don't like buying expensive presents for everyone, so my Christmas shop (secret santa, mum, dad, sister) will total about £100. My parents never want anything, and my sister usually has everything anyway, so I'm just fishing around what to get everyone so the Christmas tree doesn't look bare. The presents I get will probably not be worth more than £100 in total either (if that). My parents buy things for me and my sister when we want it, so if we need a new phone, new clothes, if our laptop broke etc, my parents just buy it, they would never say "wait till Christmas" ...so usually when Christmas comes, there's not really much we need.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not a lot, probably not much over £100, all my family members have birthdays that fall between 5th Dec. and 5th January so I'm usually on a budget. I'd happily spend nothing and receive nothing in return but my sister texts about five times a day from September onward asking what I want.

The food is usually sorted out by Mother Little but I have bought a chicken for myself this year.
Reply 4
Original post by Wilfred Little
Not a lot, probably not much over £100, all my family members have birthdays that fall between 5th Dec. and 5th January so I'm usually on a budget. I'd happily spend nothing and receive nothing in return but my sister texts about five times a day from September onward asking what I want.

The food is usually sorted out by Mother Little but I have bought a chicken for myself this year.

Ouch, December birthdays are the worst. And lmao at your sister, I'm like that with my Dad and brothers though :lol: I'm not too fussed about getting presents but I love buying them :moon:
Reply 5
£1k. There are six of us: me, my Mum and Dad, plus my three siblings. It usually works out to about £150 each of us 'kids' on gifts, £50 on Mum and Dad (sometimes less), and £300 on the food for the period.

My younger brother's birthday is on the 20th so even though he does well at Christmas, his birthday is often a little under-stated. It also impacts the amount we have to spend on MOAR XMAS GOODIES!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Too much. On myself :colone:
Last year I spent a fortune on my sister so I'm off the hook this year. As such, I'm just gonna spend a ton of money on feeding myself good food :P
Reply 9
Original post by VannR
£1k. There are six of us: me, my Mum and Dad, plus my three siblings. It usually works out to about £150 each of us 'kids' on gifts, £50 on Mum and Dad (sometimes less), and £300 on the food for the period.

My younger brother's birthday is on the 20th so even though he does well at Christmas, his birthday is often a little under-stated. It also impacts the amount we have to spend on MOAR XMAS GOODIES!

Ouch, that's an expensive Christmas! My parents used to spend extortionate amounts on me and my brothers when we were children but now my dad just gives us money as he never has any idea what to get for us. Hah it's my oldest brothers birthday on the 13th, last year he turned 30 so was an expensive birthday and Christmas :eek:
I spend about £10.
I spent 150 on presents I have no money and I refuse to become even poorer due to societal pressures based on a pagan tradition which has become over commercialized (lol miserable).
About £300 for food and £50 each on presents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I spend maybe ~£100 on presents, don't want to know how much the rest of the family/parents spend. Then Xmas eve dinner which I do last year was ~£250, likely more this year due to the piggy. Then more on presents for family friends and other food on xmas day itself.
I'm not sure how much my parents spend on food, but a couple of years ago when I had money I spent around £40 per person on my close family and like £20 for friends.

This year im having to limit myself to £15 per person mad because I'm skint :frown: so I'm going to give people home made presents as part of their gift which should be nice and also keep costs down :smile:
Reply 15
About £20 on each member of my family, so that works out at about £100.
Reply 16
I try and stick to a maximum of about £20 per person, so that's been a total of about £200, then I've probably spent about another £10 or so on wrapping paper and gift tags.
I don't know how much gets spent on food, but I assume it will be a lot given that there will be 13 of us for Christmas.
Xmas foods :- Spend around £500 as we do an xmas eve dinner and a xmas day lunch.

Gifts :-
Kids : I usually ask them to show me how much they had saved for the year then pay them 2 for 1. Then each of them will buy them something fairly nice. I take into account how well they been performing at school and how has their behaviour been throughout the year.
Partner : She won't get anything expensive.
My kids' grandmother : She will get 2 gifts as her birthday falls on Xmas Day. In the past, I updated something for her and gave her a hamper.

Then for Xmas morning, for their stockings I usually place some money in it, depending on their ages, usually it will be around £10-50 for each year. This year it will be NOK120 for each year.

Admittedly I've still not decided what to buy for Xmas for anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest