The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moid
The current versions of Nuke and Mari will not run at all on ATI cards. CS5.5 is seriously locked into NVidia cards, you might start getting problems with Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects (at the very least you won't get any of the incredible acceleration functions that the NVidia cards have). Also Maya 2012 unwrap editor doesn't work without an NVidia card. But ATI is fine for playing games.

Is there a store in Hatfield where I can just walk in and buy all the parts I need, I really hate the wait for parts when I buy them online because I usually want them now and I'm not really comfortable with having expensive goods delivered to a shared address.
Reply 1961
Sorry I have no idea, I always buy parts online... that would be one to ask on 3DHit :smile:
Reply 1962
Hi, this question is for moid =)

I can't decide whether I want to study 3d animation or 3d games art at Hertfordshire next year, seeing as the first year is common should I just apply for one and change later if I want to or apply for both?

Also what are the main differances between animating films and games? I really can't decide which area I want to work in.
Reply 1963
Well we would look at your portfolio and ask you a few questions, that would tell us which one you were more interested towards (at least at that moment in time) and then you could always swap over later if you felt that your interests had changed. Don't apply for both, it's a waste of the options on the form - just pick one for us - if you are more suited to one of the other degrees we'll tell you in the interview and if we like you we'll tell you that we'll offer a place for that course instead :smile:

The difference between animating for games and film is this - in Film/TV you animate to a camera and a frame (the outside edge of the screen). In games you usually have to animate 'in the round' meaning the animation has to look good from any angle. Also games may contain restrictive frame counts, require animations that must loop endlessly, or have sections where the rig must return to a default pose so that the programmers can change it or blend it with another animation on the fly, and game rigs usually have less bones and less controls because the rig has to work in real time. Rigs for film/TV can be much more complex and you don't have any of the aforementioned issues. However the basic skills of animation are the same in both fields - a good animator is a good animator wherever they work. And animators do swap between the film and games industry.

I wouldn't worry about making a decision until you've been set some projects that force you to confront both areas - after that you'll know which one was more appealing to you.
Original post by Lydia1234
Hi, Quick question to Sofronis.
I am going to apply for the Computer Animation Arts but I am worried about the maths test. Could you tell me what kind of maths is in the test? I haven't done any maths since GCSE and I got a B so I would have to do quite a bit of refreshing and learning.
Thank-you

Hey Lydia,

The Maths exam is a cross between what you would find in a GCSE and AS Maths level. I've been told normally it based around trigonometry and algebra, so if you refresh yourself around those areas you should be fine.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Reply 1965

Hello everyone

I am extremely pleased to announce that InaniMate, made by Soulla Josephides, Micheal O'Donoghue and Ying Hui Tan of the University of Hertfordshire is one of the 12 films in the shortlist for the £30,000 Virgin Media Shorts prize. It is also one of only two animations in the final shortlist, and is the third time that animations from the Digital Animation Programme at the University of Hertfordshire have been shortlisted - we have been shortlisted every year for the three years the prize has been running. We are the only Animation course in the UK to get shortlisted more than once.

That's lovely news, but there is an important part that you are about to play. As well as the grand £30,000 prize, there is also a second Audience Choice prize of £2000 worth of film making equipment. This is awarded based on the amount of votes the films get online. So, in the spirit of bold camaraderie, a desire to see the best work win and because it's about fecking time people stopped thinking that film is better than animation, I would like you to click on the link below where you can watch the film

http://www.virginmediashorts.co.uk/film/1583/inanimate

then register and vote for InaniMate please.

Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by ColonelMoore
Gotta disagree with you on ATI (or AMD as they now are).

I run an HD 5850, never had the slightest trouble with it in any application, and it plays games sweet as a nut. Upgrading to the HD 6970 in a few weeks, second fastest single card on the market (behind Nvidia GTX 580).

GTX 580 - £380

HD 6970 - £280

I hear people say that Maya viewports and such perform better with Nvidia cards, but as I said I use AMD and I've never had an issue. That said, I'm a games art student so I don't use the really heavy features in Maya, I just make the assets there and then do the bulk of the computer r4pe in the games engine.

Also, AMD Crossfire is better than Nvidia SLI (Crossfire and SLI refer to using multiple of the same card for increased performance).

Agreed ati cards are just better, as long as you dont need the cuda tech for modelling - you dont + the added video memory is sweet for mudbox, soon though some cuda techs like iray and mari will take over and an nvidia card will be required, but not now.
Reply 1967
Original post by moid
Well we would look at your portfolio and ask you a few questions, that would tell us which one you were more interested towards (at least at that moment in time) and then you could always swap over later if you felt that your interests had changed. Don't apply for both, it's a waste of the options on the form - just pick one for us - if you are more suited to one of the other degrees we'll tell you in the interview and if we like you we'll tell you that we'll offer a place for that course instead :smile:

The difference between animating for games and film is this - in Film/TV you animate to a camera and a frame (the outside edge of the screen). In games you usually have to animate 'in the round' meaning the animation has to look good from any angle. Also games may contain restrictive frame counts, require animations that must loop endlessly, or have sections where the rig must return to a default pose so that the programmers can change it or blend it with another animation on the fly, and game rigs usually have less bones and less controls because the rig has to work in real time. Rigs for film/TV can be much more complex and you don't have any of the aforementioned issues. However the basic skills of animation are the same in both fields - a good animator is a good animator wherever they work. And animators do swap between the film and games industry.

I wouldn't worry about making a decision until you've been set some projects that force you to confront both areas - after that you'll know which one was more appealing to you.

Thank you =) I won't worry about that so much for now then
I am looking for a university which teaches motion graphics/animation using software like Maya and After Effects but is outside of London, however my drawing skills are not great. So my question is:

Which Uni would be best for animation graphics but not require great drawing skills and is outside of London?

My Current choices are:

Bournemouth
Northumbria
Uclan
Hertfordshire(too close to London for me but still considering)
De Montfort(Unlikely but just putting it there)

EDIT: I am also doing a BTEC print-based media course which involves a lot of Photoshop and we will also be using some Flash but I taught myself most of Photoshop before the course. Will this affect my chances of getting into a motion graphics/animation course seeing as they ask for Art & Design? If it matters I am also doing A2 Media.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1969
Hi there

I teach at Hertfordshire, we would require you to have good drawing skills I'm afraid - and we don't have a dedicated motion graphics degree either - we do teach it as a module on our 2D Digital Animation course and I think some of that module can be chosen as an elective by 3D/VFX students if they wish, but for entry in all of courses we would want to see good drawing skills. You might be advised to take a one year Art Foundation course (one that teaches drawing) so that you can develop your drawing skills. Drawing skills are the communication tool of the artist - you need them to communicate ideas to clients, to fellow workers and they allow you to think visually. I'm not saying you can't become a motion graphics artist without them, but they would make you a stronger artist and help you express yourself. I can't offer advice about the other universities, maybe some students on those courses could chip in some opinions.

One thought that has occurred to me is that it might be worth you looking for graphic design courses that teach motion graphics as a pathway (if there is such a thing) - motion graphics sits between graphic design, typography and animation, so the graphic design side might not be so bothered if you can't draw well - I don't think I've ever worked for a graphic designer that could draw (if their design sketches are anything to go by!).

There is a great website for motion graphics called www.motionographer.com - it's well worth a visit. And you might like the work of people like Justin Harder, Heebok Lee, Mate Steinforth, Universal Everything, Lobo and MK12 to name a few. Good luck!
Reply 1970
Hello,

I'm really interested in VFX course in Hertfordshire, next Saturday I'm going to the opening day, really looking forward. And wanted to ask you whether I need drawing skills if I want to do only VFX, no animation or smth. At the moment I'm studying btec media production at college but most of the time I spend learning Nuke,Maya and boujou at home. Reading books and watching tutorials on sites like these, digitaltutors.com or fxphd, I think I became more than a beginner. So as I said, I'm only interested in compositing, integrating maya with nuke, 3d tracking and etc. I know entire vfx production pipeline and I really love what I do and can guarantee that I will bring a strong portfolio. Only one thing what I can't do is drawing, so I'm really confused about that.
Reply 1971
Hi there

Saturday is a good choice, one of the VFX lecturers is giving the talk that day :smile: I'd recommend taking a showreel of your VFX work along, if you find him early enough he'll almost certainly try to have a look through and give you an opinion on your skill level and some advice for improvement. The easiest format to bring along is a Quicktime Mov (h264) or MP4 on a USB stick. Your choice of software is perfect for VFX, so well done for doing the research.

On a downside we will need to see some drawing of decent quality - but seeing as you have identified this as an issue, you've got enough time to practice before the interview. We need drawing because every company asks us to give them students who can draw as well as create digitally - drawing is a massively important communication tool. Yes you can find work in VFX without drawing skills if you want to be a programmer, rigger or particles TD, but every company asks us to get the students to show life drawing / perspective work in their reels. Good quality drawing shows that you can observe reality and record it accurately (which if you think about it, is what a lot of VFX is about) so those skills are still seen as a good bedrock of a junior artist. Let me put it another way, if you apply for a job and your reel of VFX work is just as good as another candidate's, but they can draw, who do you think will get the job?

If you want advice on what books to read or things to practice just ask. Have fun at the open day and take along lots of questions to ask.
Hi all,

This years NCCA Masters students at Bournemouth University have just finished their major projects. Its our graduate show soon in Soho, but I just wanted to give you a sneak peak of this years work from the MA3D in Computer Animation, MA in Digital Effects and MSc in Computer Animation and Visual Effects. These projects took 10 weeks to create with a 4 week pre-production/pre-vis stage.

Hope you enjoy.

Jump (MADE)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfZUOIl05XE
The Infernal Machine (MA3D) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzJD_vaASp0
Flatlands (MA3D)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjxuzrBTsW8
Concrete Jungle (MADE)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgIl4A86a-8
The Flight (MADE) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YsGhPNTC0Q
First Wave (MADE)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4wyEIXltfg
Monday (MA3D)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G3qG34z6q4
Enid (MA3D)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v50YjAElKjE
TD (MA3D)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpYsBlqZF98
Muscle System (MA3D)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPDZXaosM8Y

MSc Projects - http://nccastaff.bmth.ac.uk/jmacey/MastersProjects/MSc11/index.html

Cheers

Saf
Reply 1973
hey sofronis,
at the open day i think someone said that there would be people graduating from animation arts this year, if this is right is there any where we can see their work?

thank you :smile:
Original post by katie55
hey sofronis,
at the open day i think someone said that there would be people graduating from animation arts this year, if this is right is there any where we can see their work?

thank you :smile:

Hey Katie,

The Animation Arts students won't graduate until June time next year - this is their final year and will be the NCCA's first graduating year from the CAA course. So no work to see until then.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Reply 1975
Original post by Sofronis
Hey Katie,

The Animation Arts students won't graduate until June time next year - this is their final year and will be the NCCA's first graduating year from the CAA course. So no work to see until then.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

okay, I thought that might be the case, thank you anyway :smile:
Hey there,

I was wondering which other university would you recommend for 3D animation?

Bournemouth and Hertfordshire are the main two I'm interested in but I wanted to know which other unis are ok to study at? If I don't get into the ones I mentioned earlier.

Hannah :smile:
Original post by moid
Hi there

I teach at Hertfordshire, we would require you to have good drawing skills I'm afraid - and we don't have a dedicated motion graphics degree either - we do teach it as a module on our 2D Digital Animation course and I think some of that module can be chosen as an elective by 3D/VFX students if they wish, but for entry in all of courses we would want to see good drawing skills.

We teach motion graphics across the first two years of the three BA Film and Television degrees at Hertfordshire - as part of dedicated Post-Production modules - taught by an Apple Master Trainer in Apple Motion and After Effects :wink:
Reply 1978
Original post by Wonganout
Hey there,

I was wondering which other university would you recommend for 3D animation?

Bournemouth and Hertfordshire are the main two I'm interested in but I wanted to know which other unis are ok to study at? If I don't get into the ones I mentioned earlier.

Hannah :smile:

from what i've heard reading this whole thread and general research,
Abertay and Teeside are supposed to have good courses then i've heard Glamorgan and Portsmouth are quite good too. There was an article in 3D artist about UCA Rochester: CG arts and Animation, sounds good but i havent heard many people say anything about it.

Bournemouth and Hertfordshire are supposed to be the best and for me personally if i don't get into one of those two this year i'm going to do a foundation diploma and re-apply next year.

Hope that helped :smile:
I'm having trouble finding a 4th or 5th choice for animation.
So far Bournemouth is my first choice, and I am considering Herts and Teeside.
I have a strong maths and arts background.

I have three questions :biggrin:
1. Should I broaden my search from strictly animation courses? If so, what to?
2. Could you recommend me a good, but fairly easy uni for a "safe" choice?
3. Is anyone applying/currently in Bournemouth uni? If so, which course are you going for and why? I can't decide between the two :<

Quick Reply

Latest