The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The iRiver, creative make a hard drive player. Do you really need 20GB? You can get a 4GB creative MuVo 2 for £174.99 on Amazon.
Reply 2
Abroad?

Or how about the mini iPod? Though apparently they're recalling them in the States due to malfunctions...
Reply 3
hohum
Ok, I REALLY want one! Does anyone know where to get a 20gb one cheaply? I've tried Ebay but after shipping costs they're just as bad. Does anyone recommend any other mp3 player with the same kind of spec. as the ipod? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I just worked out a 20 gig Ipod from www.bhphoto.com would cost you lessd than £240 quid including P&P.

You'll have to ask them to wrongly declare the value of the goods when they send them out, or you'll have to pay 27.5% of their value in import tax and VAT.
Reply 4
If your looking for pure sexy then the iPods are the way forward. Those Creative Jukeboxes look more like plastic bricks to me.

I'm waiting for that next generation of minidisc players due out in July. Basically these use 1GB minidiscs and the players can read mp3, WMA etc. (note to those buying iPods - they don't read WMA, so you're going to encounter problems if your music collection is in this format) These discs mean one can fit between 200-300 songs on a single minidisc. They can also exchange information both ways with a computer (the current NetMDs can only take data from the PC. But with these babies you'll be able to upload songs to your computer, as upload from them. Not only songs, but photos, and any other kind of data too, I believe.)

And the biggest advantage of a minidisc player over an iPod, in my opinion, has to be the battery life. An iPod will give you 5-10hrs, whereas the current minidisc range is supposedly capable of over 100 (although practically this is morelike 20-30). They also look pretty sexy too, and given that they'll cost between £150 and £200, they're a bargain compared to the £300 iPod. And also there's no limit to how much storage you can have at your disposal, since MD players use removable media.

Wait until July guys - these things look promising!
Reply 5
muncrun
(note to those buying iPods - they don't read WMA, so you're going to encounter problems if your music collection is in this format)

Worth noting Itunes will convert WMA to MP3 or AAC, both of which do work with the Ipod.
Reply 6
HiMD does look good, but sony might go all copy protection mad and spoil it, like they did with NetMD
Reply 7
keithy
HiMD does look good, but sony might go all copy protection mad and spoil it, like they did with NetMD

It looks ok, the question is. Are you really going to need more than one or two discs seeing as they hold about 1GB? Also the software will be rubbish and i don't know if Real will make a plug-in. Not to mention that inevitably the first HiMD players will have flaws and be of poorer quality to those released in a year. Look how flawed the original Minidisc recorder is compared to the Sony MZN10; it took them a long time to get to that stage. I'm leaning more towards either the MZN910 (older format of minidisc) or getting an MP3 player (although their battery life is abysmal).
Reply 8
Mandrake
It looks ok, the question is. Are you really going to need more than one or two discs seeing as they hold about 1GB? Also the software will be rubbish and i don't know if Real will make a plug-in. Not to mention that inevitably the first HiMD players will have flaws and be of poorer quality to those released in a year. Look how flawed the original Minidisc recorder is compared to the Sony MZN10; it took them a long time to get to that stage. I'm leaning more towards either the MZN910 (older format of minidisc) or getting an MP3 player (although their battery life is abysmal).

u might need quite few disks, i have over 21GB of music on my comp so a 2oGB ipod wont do really. they have some new software, which is slightly better, SonicStage 2.0 :P. the older format of mini disc is absolute poo(NetMD) (unless u wanna record stuff, or have hardly n e music at all)
Reply 9
keithy
u might need quite few disks, i have over 21GB of music on my comp so a 2oGB ipod wont do really.

:eek: the majority of people generally don't have anywhere near that amount, so you're an exception. But in general; people are only going to need about 5 discs for their HiMD player. I heard the Sony software was useless and a lot of people have favoured the Real plug-in. I'll just wait until July and see what's what.
Reply 10
http://www.minidisct.com/forum/index.php

is an extremly helpful forum about all this sorta thing. if u have a minidisc u should know about this already.
Reply 11
muncrun
If your looking for pure sexy then the iPods are the way forward. Those Creative Jukeboxes look more like plastic bricks to me.

I'm waiting for that next generation of minidisc players due out in July. Basically these use 1GB minidiscs and the players can read mp3, WMA etc. (note to those buying iPods - they don't read WMA, so you're going to encounter problems if your music collection is in this format) These discs mean one can fit between 200-300 songs on a single minidisc. They can also exchange information both ways with a computer (the current NetMDs can only take data from the PC. But with these babies you'll be able to upload songs to your computer, as upload from them. Not only songs, but photos, and any other kind of data too, I believe.)

And the biggest advantage of a minidisc player over an iPod, in my opinion, has to be the battery life. An iPod will give you 5-10hrs, whereas the current minidisc range is supposedly capable of over 100 (although practically this is morelike 20-30). They also look pretty sexy too, and given that they'll cost between £150 and £200, they're a bargain compared to the £300 iPod. And also there's no limit to how much storage you can have at your disposal, since MD players use removable media.

If I already have a mini-disk player would I need to buy a new one? or is it the actual disks that are changing? I'm going travelling on my gap year and HAVE to have music whilst i'm out there...with an ipod or any mp3 player I could put my whole collection on it and problem solved. but is the battery rechargable? that could be a big problem if it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be. How many songs could I fit on a 4gb player? What's the sound quality like?
Reply 12
You will need a new player to play or record on the 1GB discs. iPod battery's are rechargeable; but it is well known that they have problems with their battery's and you'd be lucky to get over 8 hours of playback. The new HiMD should get about 30 Hours playback and will probably come with an adaptor so you can add an AA battery to it.
Reply 13
my uncle works in america alot. he's going to get me one of those 4gb mini Ipods. over there they work out at £140.
Reply 14
Ollie
my uncle works in america alot. he's going to get me one of those 4gb mini Ipods. over there they work out at £140.

Are you not concerned about the "issue" of static that the iPod minis were suffering from?
Reply 15
Mandrake
Are you not concerned about the "issue" of static?

static?
Reply 16
Ollie
static?

Yes
Reply 17
Mandrake

i'm sure they will be sorting that out by the time i buy one :smile:
Reply 18
muncrun

I'd not even heard of these - they sound good. I was going to get a new minidisc player soon, but I'll probably wait a while now and see what turns up. Thanks!
Reply 19
hohum
If I already have a mini-disk player would I need to buy a new one? or is it the actual disks that are changing? I'm going travelling on my gap year and HAVE to have music whilst i'm out there...with an ipod or any mp3 player I could put my whole collection on it and problem solved. but is the battery rechargable? that could be a big problem if it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be. How many songs could I fit on a 4gb player? What's the sound quality like?

I'd lean towards getting a HiMD player. Better battery life - having been travelling myself I know that it can occasionally be difficult to to find a power socket and recharge. With MD players you have longer battery life and you can attach an AA battery to increase it further.

Latest

Trending

Trending