The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hixxy
atleast by not going out much you would have had money. I was out way too much, and was always spending far too much money.

I actually didnt get pocket money till I was in 6th form since my mother bought everything for me, my parents didnt see any need for me to have money before than, when I asked for money, they would ask me what I wanted it for and they'd buy whatever it was for me.

I forgot, they also used to censor my phone calls and be really nasty to any boys who called me at home. I was so lucky they let me have a mobile phone when I was about 15!
I wasn't allowed to wear nail varnish because my mum said I would just pick it off and there would be bits of it all around the house...!
Reply 22
jellybaby1
I wasn't allowed to wear nail varnish because my mum said I would just pick it off and there would be bits of it all around the house...!

My mum wanted me to wear it so I would pick it off instead of picking my nails!
Talya
My mum wanted me to wear it so I would pick it off instead of picking my nails!

That's a really good idea! Unfortunately the nail varnish I wanted to wear was of the brightly coloured glittery variety!
Reply 24
Erm, not a single rule that I can think of.
Reply 25
no crazy rules here, and like someone else said, im not and have never been rebellious. get on great with the parents, were very close :smile: i can have a quick temper, especially when i was younger, so hardcore rules would probably have turned me into a complete and utter nightmare. authoritarian relationships with people your close to freak me out...
I think the only rules my parents had were bed times when I was a lot younger and reasonable times that I had to be home by.

I was allowed to do pretty much anything I wanted and go places I wanted to. I did my own washing and cleaned the house for them. This combined with not having any restrictions made me adjust to living away from home quicker I think.
Reply 27
Xx Tomásíona - Mháire xX
I wasn't exactly allowed to have friends at my house or go to their houses - still actually don't kow why meh... lol

im not allowed and never have been allowed to have friends over.
my younger brothers are allowed tho :confused:
i was always allowed to stay over at other people houses hmm
Reply 28
no rules, hardly ever took advantage of parents. :smile:
The usual "be in by a certain time" (9 on school nights, 11 otherwise) etc. up until age 11. After that, none at all. Then again, from that age onwards my mum was mostly pretty out of it and my dad (therefore) had other things to be worrying about. In retrospect - I enjoyed the independence.
Reply 30
wow some of you have total freakshow parents. i never really had any rules or boundries set in stone or anything like that.
I wasn't allowed to have a cell phone till I was about 13 or 14 but I can't think of anything else...
Reply 32
My parents where really really laid back.. but from what I can think of..

My da didnt want me using copied playstation games and I wasnt allowed to chip my playstation (done it anyway..) and when I was younger (about 6 - 7) I wasnt allowed to carry sticks because me and my friends use to fight with a group of other kids the same age (yet we all spoke to each other and at the end of fighting would go and have a game of football).

Thats about it.. my parents wherent restrictive at all, if anything, they encouraged me to do a lot of things.
Reply 33
I wasn't allowed to chew gum when I was younger 'in case I choked'

Also I wasn't allowed to ask a friend round for tea in front of my Mam cos she couldn't say 'No' when they were there.

I couldn't swap food at school either, and I wasn't allowed to wear make up at the school disco or wear short skirts. Has put me off skirts (and make up) for life! :rofl:

Finally I had to tell my parents where I am/who I'm with/when I'll be back constantly, but that's not their fault, stuff that happened makes them just care :smile:

My Mam & Dad are quite cool actually, really laid back :smile: Maybe it's cos they had me when they were young? /randomness
While it can be a pain in the arse to have really restrictive and protective parents you should be grateful. I'm not saying that parents who don't have rules don't care (because I'd be saying that about my own) but the reason parents are that way is because they want to look after you.

I think it's bad to be over protective of children as it'll be a major shock for them when they have to leave home but I've known parents who just don't care what their kids do.
I had a few harsh arguments in my early teens over wearing make up or certain clothes, and sadly I think this caused a rift with my father, and caused me to move out when I was 15 (im an only child bar a sis who is 16 yrs older)
but it wasnt so much the rules I had as the way they were handled and put across.too much shouting and verbal abuse. It wasnever explained to me why I shouldnt do certain things,I ws just *******edfor it!! So i rebelled.:rolleyes:
Reply 36
Hixxy
atleast by not going out much you would have had money. I was out way too much, and was always spending far too much money.

You're right. Lucky them, really :rolleyes:

I used to have a friend whose mum wouldn't let her stay out ANYWHERE unless it was a birthday sleepover! (Yup, it had to be a birthday one.) And she could never have people around. Whether she was allowed out or not seemed totally arbitrary.
My parents didn't really have rules. They didn't buy me everything I wanted, and if I ran out of pocket money, it was tough luck.

But they trusted me enough to let me do pretty much what I wanted, and because of that, I never wanted to do anything too unreasonable. Was going to football with people a fair bit older than me and drinking quite heavily by the time I was 16, but as long as they knew where I was and who I was with, they weren't too bothered.

Both me and my brother learnt important lessons about drinking before we turned 18, which has benefited me significantly since I came to uni. :biggrin:
there was only one main rule when I was going out.....don't leave the isle of man (ie...don't get on a boat when drunk).
Reply 39
wikiwikiwildwildwest
:ditto: And if they didn't let me, I generally just did it, within reason.

:dito:

Latest

Trending

Trending