The Student Room Group

How can I prosecute an interviewer who rejects based on my looks (for an office job)?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe you have a chip in your shoulder and you are giving off a negative vibe which is far more detrimental to your application than the way you look.

How many times has this happened? What was the feedback you received as a result of not being chosen for the job?

Seriously some people go for dozens of jobs and don't get them, because there is someone better in the day, not because they have a big nose or a birthmark or they are overweight or have a receding hairline. We all have our own insecurities but it's how we portray ourselves that is important.
Original post by Joyful_soul
Maybe he's racist? I am not white.

Maybe you are playing the race card because you weren't good enough to get the job?
Original post by DiddyDec
Maybe you are playing the race card because you weren't good enough to get the job?

This is exactly what I was talking about in my thread!! Hate when people say it's because of their skin colour or ethnicity!
tell them to bog off mate
I wouldn't employ someone that made threads like this on TSR either.
Another point, even if you did manage to do something about it (which you won't), why would you want to work there anyway?
Original post by soanonymous
Another point, even if you did manage to do something about it (which you won't), why would you want to work there anyway?

MONIES!!
Ask them for feedback on why you didn't get the job

Personally I think your attitude towards this is coming across as just bitter and revenge seeking I wouldn't want to employ someone with an attitude like this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get over it because you weren't the best candidate for the job. I highly doubt you can't get a job because of your appearance, and think we can all honestly say we have seen unattractive people working. But if they outright say "you're not hired because you're ugly" sure then take issue with it, until then you are just making assumptions and playing the victim.

Pick another card.
They're allowed to reject you because they dont think your attractive, it's within their right. Pretty stupid, but it's their business and they can choose what they want. You can only prosecute them if the reject you because of your race, gender or sexuality. LBC did a radio debate on it a couple months ago
If you asked why you were rejected, I'm sure they'd just say that there was someone more suited to the job. Youu have no way of disproving their claim.
Reply 32
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Move on if I were you. Be thankful you didn't get the job, since you'd end up working with more people like him and it probably would have made your life miserable.

On the safe side, it's best to improve your look and things like personal hygiene. If you've got tats or excessive jewellery, consider concealing or removing them (unless you're going for a tattoo artist's job!). Natural hair colours and good teeth win the day.

You cannot prosecute someone on looks basis, unless it starts to intervene with discriminating a race or sex, in other words, things that cannot be changed easily.

Iggy Azalea giving useful advice, instead of crap coming out of her mouth!!!
what has happened to the world??
MONIES!!

Okay so when you grow up, you'll find out there's more to life than working somewhere for money when the people obviously don't want you there.

There are plenty of other job opportunities around. Although with your attitude, I doubt you'll get any of them anyway.
Tough **** OP. You lost the aesthetics game, now bow to the halo effect.
You can't.

It's a he said she said. No way to prove the reason he rejected you.
I can kinda sympathise with the OP. I had an assessment centre last year for a graduate job and I got through to the final 5 for final interview, along with 1 girl and 4 other guys. We were going for 2 available jobs. I later found out that the jobs went to one of the guys who had worked for them before and the other to the girl. I thought I'd nailed the final interview and presentation only to be rejected later in the week, which I accepted at first until I asked for feedback.

They said that my final interview was very good, but where I was let down was my group exercises at the AC because I wasn't vocal enough. This raised a couple of issues, 1) why was I invited to final interview if my AC wasn't good enough, and 2) the girl who got the job was MUCH less vocal than me at the group exercise stage and barely contributed anything, on one task she said nothing at all. So if I was rejected based on that and because they couldn't critise my interview, then I can't understand how she got the job ahead of me. (What I did say in the group exercise can't have been rubbish either, as I got through).

Now this girl was an absolute stunner, and was one of very few girls that actually made it to the AC. Which makes me think that PART of the reasoning behind giving it to her was to fill a quota for female graduates in a very male dominated industry and perhaps also a subconscious favouritism based on her looks. And I reiterate, she is one if the most attractive girls I've ever met. And obviously, she must have displayed competency for the role on top of that to get the job !

I was tempted to make a complaint formally just like OP is planning, BUT, whilst there MAY be some truth in what I assumed, in hindsight I can see this opinion was largely generated by my frustration as to not getting the job. And I feel bad that I was so close to complaining as that would have made me look incredibly shallow. So just move on and don't dwell on it like I did

In that case, you might have a chance, albeit a tiny one. The main concern is that racist claims are very serious now and I'd do a bit more background research if I were you if you do decide to go with it.

If all the other employers are white (or one particular race), you've got some evidence. But even then, this country is predominantly white making it harder to argue for given the likelihood for an all-white staff community.

Speaking to current staff will give you an insight into the interviewer's views too. If he's a 'nice guy', you probably won't have much luck against him. But, if there's been some issues in the workplace, that might be valuable evidence if you can these staff members to back you up.

As you can see, it's better to give up and move on to greener pastures if I were you. It's not worth the time to try to serve justice, it's likely justice will serve itself upon on him in the near future.
One day the OP may grow up and be an employer.

He will probably realise then when his profits depend upon it that he will take the BEST person for the job. The most focussed, the most flexible, the one who turns up every day whatever the weather and the one that makes the best contribution to his business, the one with a smile on his face that wants to get on, and most certainly not the eye candy that sits there doing naff all but looking pretty.

My dad's position means he has recruited many people over the last few years and 40% of them don't make the grade in the months that follow, but those that do are rewarded financially very very well. His biggest hate is those that can't get up on a morning, say it is too busy and get their mothers to ring in sick for them or complain about the hours their precious one is working.

I would just like to say, I have been in his offices many times and there isn't one good looker there amongst them, young, old, spotty, skinny, one with a dodgy eye, male, female, black, white but what they all have in common is a fantastic work ethic and a willingness to succeed and are very loyal to each other and the company.

The OP is SO wrong if he thinks his appearance meant he didn't get the job.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
what this thread needs is a picture

Quick Reply

Latest