The Student Room Group

No summer internship - will i not get a grad job

Unfortunately I have not secured a summer internship for accountancy. I was wondering how much this will impact whether i will be able to secure a graduate job. I am scared I will not get a graduate job because i have no relevant accountancy experience.
Original post by gradjobs789
Unfortunately I have not secured a summer internship for accountancy. I was wondering how much this will impact whether i will be able to secure a graduate job. I am scared I will not get a graduate job because i have no relevant accountancy experience.

You will be fine if you write a strong application and apply strategically. Also, there are still many ways to get financial experience, charities are usually crying out for people to help with bookkeeping/accounting, charity returns etc.
Reply 2

Do you mean that you applied but did not succeed, or that you didn't apply? In case you are concerned very few people who get into ACA grad schemes have meaningful accounting experience.
Reply 3
Yes i applied to many, got to final stage on some but got rejected. I have secured a general internship at my uni for 3 weeks which is paid but no relevant experience.

Original post by ajj2000
Do you mean that you applied but did not succeed, or that you didn't apply? In case you are concerned very few people who get into ACA grad schemes have meaningful accounting experience.
Reply 4
Yes i applied to many, got to final stage on some but got rejected. I have secured a general internship at my uni for 3 weeks which is paid but no relevant experience.

In terms of stages - am i correct that you got through the CV sift and the aptitude tests? Was the final stage an assessment centre type stage, or after that (so an interview with senior staff)?
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
In terms of stages - am i correct that you got through the CV sift and the aptitude tests? Was the final stage an assessment centre type stage, or after that (so an interview with senior staff)?

Phone interview rejection
Reply 6
i have no exp but i did online courses and lied about extracurruilcar at uni. also used need to use a skill based cv
Reply 7
It is not over for you yet.
Go to employment agencies with your cv and see if you can get some temporary work in the summer.
It could be a basic admin role in an office as office based roles will again increase your chances of a graduate role later.
You need to increase your confidence in dealing with people and your office social skills.

Failing this you will need to volunteer by working within an accounts department of a local business or a local practice.
You will need to apply on spec for this.
Reply 8
Original post by LouiseRu
It is not over for you yet.
Go to employment agencies with your cv and see if you can get some temporary work in the summer.
It could be a basic admin role in an office as office based roles will again increase your chances of a graduate role later.
You need to increase your confidence in dealing with people and your office social skills.

Failing this you will need to volunteer by working within an accounts department of a local business or a local practice.
You will need to apply on spec for this.

Hi, I do have an office role within my uni via an internship scheme but it is not accounting.Also I have tried with all local firms and they don't seem interested in having me volunteering so I'm not sure what I can do
Reply 9
Hi, I do have an office role within my uni via an internship scheme but it is not accounting.Also I have tried with all local firms and they don't seem interested in having me volunteering so I'm not sure what I can do

Try agencies as they have built relationships with businesses.
See what work they can get you as they will be motivated by monetary gain.
Write on spec to local small accounting/audit firms to see if you can get an unpaid work stint.
The problem is that it does take time to train someone to do any accounting task when they have not worked in accounting before.
Therefore someone will be tied up in training you hence your need to give back via volunteering.
If this proves difficult for you right now concentrate on getting office admin work.
Once you have achieved this it will be easier to do the next step which is accounting work.
Also think wider, could you volunteer in the office of a local school or charity?
All these choices will move you forward towards your goal.
Also do you know anyone who works in an accounting department or has a business that you could help out in.
Reply 10
Try agencies as they have built relationships with businesses.
See what work they can get you as they will be motivated by monetary gain.
Write on spec to local small accounting/audit firms to see if you can get an unpaid work stint.
The problem is that it does take time to train someone to do any accounting task when they have not worked in accounting before.
Therefore someone will be tied up in training you hence your need to give back via volunteering.
If this proves difficult for you right now concentrate on getting office admin work.
Once you have achieved this it will be easier to do the next step which is accounting work.
Also think wider, could you volunteer in the office of a local school or charity?
All these choices will move you forward towards your goal.
Also do you know anyone who works in an accounting department or has a business that you could help out in.

Hi, unfortunately I don't know anyone in the industry. Also I have been emailing asking to do voluntary unpaid work but nowhere is interested. Do these agencies require payment as well. I forgot to mention I already am studying accounting and finance at a Russell group uni so I'm not new to accounting.
Reply 11
Hi, unfortunately I don't know anyone in the industry. Also I have been emailing asking to do voluntary unpaid work but nowhere is interested. Do these agencies require payment as well. I forgot to mention I already am studying accounting and finance at a Russell group uni so I'm not new to accounting.

You register at agencies and they get you work which the client pays for.
You have at least got some office based work which will help you in the future.
Work making the best of this experience for your CV.
Work to get the best degree that you can and apply for graduate schemes.
Once you have left your course you can go back to agencies to get some junior roles which maybe temporary
Work but still good enough to get you a graduate role long term.
Reply 12
You register at agencies and they get you work which the client pays for.
You have at least got some office based work which will help you in the future.
Work making the best of this experience for your CV.
Work to get the best degree that you can and apply for graduate schemes.
Once you have left your course you can go back to agencies to get some junior roles which maybe temporary
Work but still good enough to get you a graduate role long term.

Thank you very much for this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending