The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Cate
He's 17.

He refuses to. He says they just wouldn't understand.
**** I feel so F*****g helpless :frown:

My bestfriend killed herself. the sad truth is there's nothing that you can do if they're serious. keep talking to them, tell them you would miss them, just keep up a dialogue so they know that someones life will be the poorer if they go through with it.
Reply 41
Fluffy
My bestfriend killed herself. the sad truth is there's nothing that you can do if they're serious. keep talking to them, tell them you would miss them, just keep up a dialogue so they know that someones life will be the poorer if they go through with it.

one of my friend's died when he was 14...

I don't know what's worse dying when you still want to live and are happy or dying when you want to die and are unhappy... (know what I mean?)

at the end of the day we didn't chose to be born therefore what gives us the right to take away our life? that's one theory I suppose...

I still can't believe the guy I mentioned above died :frown:
Reply 42
fifi53
if the danger is iminent...
get them sectioned... thatll really piss them off. all you need is a doctor, a social worker and their nearest relative... bingo they will be taken to a "place of safety" *ahem* "prison" where they can be treated without their consent with drugs, electricity and straightjackets till they agree to behave. theyll still feel shit when they leave, but the idea of suicide will be a bit stale.

Actually for your information is it designed to very difficult to get someone sectioned and it is. You seem to have been watching too many films.

MancunIan
If they can't be persuaded otherwise the only option is to physically prevent them from doing so, which doesn't solve the underlying problem. It also raises the issue of whether or not we should have the right to prevent people from killing themselves...

The right to kill yourself, how can you remove this. By preventing anyone from moving?
Reply 43
supreme
Actually for your information is it designed to very difficult to get someone sectioned and it is. You seem to have been watching too many films.

No it isn't. It's scarily easy to get someone sectioned.
Reply 44
supreme
The right to kill yourself, how can you remove this. By preventing anyone from moving?

Well, for example by having someone sectioned as was just suggested. They would be put in a place where it was taken out of their hands.
Reply 45
Cate
Is there anything you can do to help someone who just thinks that the world would be a better place without them so are planning on killing themselves?
I know tell someone etc, but anything else?
How immediately serious are they? If the worst comes to the worst, stay with them, or in contact, with other people taking over if you can, for some time. Get them to see a doctor as soon as possible, if need be get them to make an emergency visit to hospital. Make sure they can get in touch with Samaritans: it is arrogant to impose their misery on their friends, no matter how willing they are to accept it. How often does your friend feel like this? It might be useful for them to take antidepressants for a time; with moderate, non-clinical depression and after a full-blown depressive illness, behaviour therapy can help too. If they take any drugs, inckluding alcohol and cannabis, they should stop at once until well after they can face the world again.
If they think the world would be better without them, they have a grossly unrealistic view of themselves and their own importance in the world. The world will be just about the same whether they or any of us are here or not. For the long term, I'd advise reading the Stoic philosophersand the works of Samuel Backett. No, I'm not joking- not entirely- but this life is all we have, no matter how unpleasant it is. It is probably the only one we have and we must make the best of it. At worst, we must follow Housman's remedy: Let us endure an hour and see injustice done.
Reply 46
supreme

i was sectioned for getting on a year by a doctor, my dad and a social worker who had never met me before, just read through my notes for about 10 minutes. my signing a couple of forms they basically have legal control over you: so long as the doctor has a second opinion they can enforce electro convulsive therapy and drugs with potentially dangerous permanent side effects on you.

it is easy to remove someones ability to kill themselves... i was watched 24 hours a day by 2 members of nursing staff, fed through a tube and not even allowed to sit near windows and walls. i'd love to see someone kill themselves then!!
Reply 47
Weejimmie
How immediately serious are they? If the worst comes to the worst, stay with them, or in contact, with other people taking over if you can, for some time. Get them to see a doctor as soon as possible, if need be get them to make an emergency visit to hospital. Make sure they can get in touch with Samaritans: it is arrogant to impose their misery on their friends, no matter how willing they are to accept it. How often does your friend feel like this? It might be useful for them to take antidepressants for a time; with moderate, non-clinical depression and after a full-blown depressive illness, behaviour therapy can help too. If they take any drugs, inckluding alcohol and cannabis, they should stop at once until well after they can face the world again.
If they think the world would be better without them, they have a grossly unrealistic view of themselves and their own importance in the world. The world will be just about the same whether they or any of us are here or not. For the long term, I'd advise reading the Stoic philosophersand the works of Samuel Backett. No, I'm not joking- not entirely- but this life is all we have, no matter how unpleasant it is. It is probably the only one we have and we must make the best of it. At worst, we must follow Housman's remedy: Let us endure an hour and see injustice done.

He feels like this on and off... pretty often I suppose. He is fine for a while, then just starts feeling like this again. He doesn't really have anyone else to talk to it seems, he doesn't have many friends and his parents just try to make him feel ungrateful.
I haven't heard from him all day now which is not normal... :frown:
Reply 48
Cate
He's 17.

He refuses to. He says they just wouldn't understand.
**** I feel so F*****g helpless :frown:

Maybe you should keep persuading him to seek professional help. It took me a year to persuade my best friend to seek help, but it was worth it in the end. I understand that he feels that no one´s gonna understand, but keep telling him they will. Try telling him that he´s a worthy person, that he deserves to be helped and that it´s not his fault that he´s feeling so bad.
I´m sorry that I can´t offer other ways to help him. I know how terrible it is when you feel so helpless. :frown:
Reply 49
KandyKane
Maybe you should keep persuading him to seek professional help. It took me a year to persuade my best friend to seek help, but it was worth it in the end. I understand that he feels that no one´s gonna understand, but keep telling him they will. Try telling him that he´s a worthy person, that he deserves to be helped and that it´s not his fault that he´s feeling so bad.
I´m sorry that I can´t offer other ways to help him. I know how terrible it is when you feel so helpless. :frown:

Thanks for that... I'll keep trying :frown:
Reply 50
I haven't heard from him all day now, which is just not normal.
:frown: :frown: :frown:
I fear the worst :'(
Reply 51
Cate
He feels like this on and off... pretty often I suppose. He is fine for a while, then just starts feeling like this again. He doesn't really have anyone else to talk to it seems, he doesn't have many friends and his parents just try to make him feel ungrateful.
I haven't heard from him all day now which is not normal... :frown:

Not much you can do- and in fairness to you, there's not much you ought to do. Your friend does not have the right to dump himself on you to solve all his problems. Meanwhile, persuade him to see a doctor if you can. There's an organisation www.depressionalliance.org for self-help groups if he won't look for medical help. There may be others for your local area you could find via the NHS authority.
Reply 52
Cate,

have you heard anything yet?
Reply 53
sashh
Cate,

have you heard anything yet?

Yeah, I heard from him early this morning. He seemed okay... sort of. Bit distant.
In between when he's really low it's like he hasn't got a problem... I don't know what to do :frown:
Cate
Is there anything you can do to help someone who just thinks that the world would be a better place without them so are planning on killing themselves?

introduce them to a religion, maybe islam would do
Reply 55
maximusmak

Tactful. Very nice.
Reply 56
maximusmak

:rolleyes:
Reply 57
Cate

I had a girlfriend once who told me she wanted to kill herself. Don't know what that says either about me, or about my taste in women. But joking apart, she didn't kill herself. I'm 99.9% sure that her not killing herself had nothing to do with me. But I did make it very very clear to her that I was going to stick around if she needed someone to talk to at any hour of the day or night.
Reply 58
Tednol
I had a girlfriend once who told me she wanted to kill herself. Don't know what that says either about me, or about my taste in women. But joking apart, she didn't kill herself. I'm 99.9% sure that her not killing herself had nothing to do with me. But I did make it very very clear to her that I was going to stick around if she needed someone to talk to at any hour of the day or night.

Hmm... well, he knows that he can talk to me any time...
The main problem I guess is that he just acts like nothing's happened after he's been really depressed... :frown: :confused:
Reply 59
Cate
Hmm... well, he knows that he can talk to me any time...
The main problem I guess is that he just acts like nothing's happened after he's been really depressed... :frown: :confused:

I know depressed people can be a drain to be around... but how around arranging something with him and some mates and suprising him? Just something a bit quirky, and a bit different. Might be just what he needs.

Latest

Trending

Trending