The Student Room Group

Any fellow PhD Mathematics students

Hi all,

Just wondering if they are any fellow Mathematicians at phD level ! If so, what's your area of research and how are you coping ?

I've started at Reading this year, and my research is based on Monte Carlo methods for network analysis. A whole load of computational mathematics involved, and I'm just getting to grips with using MATLAB after a long time !!

Essentially it involves modelling scenarios such as the analysis of social media networks, however the standard monte carlo is not effective due to double intractable distributions. Anyway that's mine, I hope to hear other people who are also studying similar or just any mathematical or even physics based titles. Any advice from past students will also be appreciated. !:smile::smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing a MS in physics and applying to phd in mathematics programs. I did a similar project in Markov chain models for traffic networks as an undergrad. Interesting stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Unknown Nerd
I'm doing a MS in physics and applying to phd in mathematics programs. I did a similar project in Markov chain models for traffic networks as an undergrad. Interesting stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey ! Ah markov chains and stochastic processes were the bane of my life during my undergrad days. How many states did you use as part of the chain's state space ?

The linear algebra when analysing the distribution would have been complex given you had many states. How are you finding your MS ? .. What modules you enjoying ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing a pretty mathsy PhD looking at all sorts of different transforms, like Gabor/Fourier/Curvelets etc. in conjunction with some statistical techniques and machine learning with a view to writing software so that a machine can recognise complex patterns in an image. I'm only a couple of months in, though.

I'm also in the same boat getting used to Matlab and all of the toolboxes! Great fun. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Brit_Miller
I'm doing a pretty mathsy PhD looking at all sorts of different transforms, like Gabor/Fourier/Curvelets etc. in conjunction with some statistical techniques and machine learning with a view to writing software so that a machine can recognise complex patterns in an image. I'm only a couple of months in, though.

I'm also in the same boat getting used to Matlab and all of the toolboxes! Great fun. :smile:

excellent

Finally someone else who's doing a maths phD lol I thought I was the only one on here.
Sounds well interesting. Where are you conducting the research ?

I remember Fourier analysis days from my UG days lol. Matlab and SPSS have literally been running all day since I started.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
excellent

How about you ? Also a fellow mathematician in the making

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by MathsLover28
How about you ? Also a fellow mathematician in the making

Posted from TSR Mobile

good thank you.

I am a mathematician in his "sunset"
Original post by TeeEm
good thank you.

Ah. What were your research interests during your 'sunrise'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally someone else who's doing a maths phD lol I thought I was the only one on here.
Sounds well interesting. Where are you conducting the research ?

I remember Fourier analysis days from my UG days lol. Matlab and SPSS have literally been running all day since I started.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm part-funded by a company who've provided some data. I work in Bristol Robotics Laboratory. You? I actually went for a joint doctoral program with Reading/Imperial but decided to stay in Bristol as I've just had a daughter, so pulled out of the interview.

I've used a fair amount of SPSS before, but am new to Matlab. Easy to pick up, though.

Original post by TeeEm

I'd love to see your thesis - I'm really interested in boundary layer theory, I just didn't have the time to look into it further.
Reply 10
Ah. What were your research interests during your 'sunrise'

Posted from TSR Mobile

fluids

after 27 years teaching at A Level I could not even quote the Navier Stokes Equations
Reply 11
I'm part-funded by a company who've provided some data. I work in Bristol Robotics Laboratory. You? I actually went for a joint doctoral program with Reading/Imperial but decided to stay in Bristol as I've just had a daughter, so pulled out of the interview.

I've used a fair amount of SPSS before, but am new to Matlab. Easy to pick up, though.

I'd love to see your thesis - I'm really interested in boundary layer theory, I just didn't have the time to look into it further.

I do not know about your project but mine (incidentally I hardly follow any of this now) I remember I thought at the time that it is nothing but a "glorified" piece of coursework.
Original post by TeeEm
I do not know about your project but mine (incidentally I hardly follow any of this now) I remember I thought at the time that it is nothing but a "glorified" piece of coursework.

I can't say I knew how involved it was, it just seemed an interesting piece of work to lead on from the project I was doing. I think my supervisor may have done her doctorate in boundary layer theory too.
Wish I had the joy of doing fluid mechanics. Instead had to quantum
Field theory and quantum mechanics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
fluids

after 27 years teaching at A Level I could not even quote the Navier Stokes Equations

I'm studying fluids in my gap year (and applying for grad school to study it) and let's say that I'm only getting to grips with remembering the equations :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by Slowbro93
I'm studying fluids in my gap year (and applying for grad school to study it) and let's say that I'm only getting to grips with remembering the equations :tongue:

I see you come from Kings (some former private students of mine went on to study Maths at Kings in 2010 and in 2012)
I wish you luck in your postgrad
(UCL I hear is still very big in fluids)
Original post by TeeEm
I see you come from Kings (some former private students of mine went on to study Maths at Kings in 2010 and in 2012)
I wish you luck in your postgrad
(UCL I hear is still very big in fluids)

Yep :yep: Whilst King's don't have a fluids department, I did a research project on fluids and soliton theory a couple of summers ago. Whilst I did have my own days when I didn't get any results, I really enjoyed it overall :h:

Thanks :h: Applying to UCL for a masters (only have a BSc) however there are quite a few CDTs that I can apply to directly as I have a first :smile:

How's the covering of your undergrad (I think you mentioned it a while back :yep: )
Yep :yep: Whilst King's don't have a fluids department, I did a research project on fluids and soliton theory a couple of summers ago. Whilst I did have my own days when I didn't get any results, I really enjoyed it overall :h:

Thanks :h: Applying to UCL for a masters (only have a BSc) however there are quite a few CDTs that I can apply to directly as I have a first :smile:

How's the covering of your undergrad (I think you mentioned it a while back :yep: )

Kings alumni 👊. Good luck on your masters application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

UCL has not changed much since my days, as it offers the most flexible maths degree in my opinion (from the second year, second term onwards EVERYTHING is options)
This was bliss for me because I did not enjoy Pure at all.
(I did fluids, geophysical fluids, real fluids, Gas dynamics and Boundary layers (undergrad) together with electromagnetism, analytical dynamics, waves, relativity, cosmology, biomechanics and 5 courses from their physics department)
Kings alumni . Good luck on your masters application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by TeeEm
UCL has not changed much since my days, as it offers the most flexible maths degree in my opinion (from the second year, second term onwards EVERYTHING is options)
This was bliss for me because I did not enjoy Pure at all.
(I did fluids, geophysical fluids, real fluids, Gas dynamics and Boundary layers (undergrad) together with electromagnetism, analytical dynamics, waves, relativity, cosmology, biomechanics and 5 courses from their physics department)

That sounds like a bliss :coma: avoided as much pure as possible during my final year (although I ended up taking Fourier and Complex)

Relativity did get quite pretty towards the end of the course though :love:

Quick Reply

Latest