The Student Room Group

Computer Science - what to choose?

Hello!

I applied for Computer Science and I got offers from the following universities:

University of Manchester
University of Bristol
University of Birmingham
University of Warwick

The problem is that I am having a hard time choosing my firm and insurance option. This is why I kindly ask for your opinion. Why should I choose this or the other? Any information would be more than helpful (costs, city life, course options and flexibility, student satisfaction, opportunities, teaching methods etc.)

I must specify that I am not from the UK so this is a big decision for me and my future.

Any answer will be appreciated. Thank you! :smile:
Original post by oakiboaki96
Hello!

I applied for Computer Science and I got offers from the following universities:

University of Manchester
University of Bristol
University of Birmingham
University of Warwick

The problem is that I am having a hard time choosing my firm and insurance option. This is why I kindly ask for your opinion. Why should I choose this or the other? Any information would be more than helpful (costs, city life, course options and flexibility, student satisfaction, opportunities, teaching methods etc.)

I must specify that I am not from the UK so this is a big decision for me and my future.

I have similar offers and am thinking of firming Bristol and using Birmingham as insurance.
I'm going warwick purely for their math content and financial links :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you for your answers! I am still waiting for more opinions :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by oakiboaki96
Hello!

University of Manchester
University of Bristol
University of Birmingham
University of Warwick

Hey, I have similar Uni's (Manchester, Birmingham, Warwick, Surrey, UCL), but I chose Warwick as my main choice. I didn't like Birmingham as a location of where to live, and similar to Manchester + London. Warwick's cool (btw, I'm from Russia, so making a big decision too! :smile:)
Reply 5
Original post by IesIicules
I have similar offers and am thinking of firming Bristol and using Birmingham as insurance.

You chose well
Firm Warwick or Bristol (Whatever is most convenient to you, remember convenience is important where you can't really distinguish the two in a quantifiable way), both these Unis will offer you practically the same academic content, same links with industry (+-), and similar research if you're into that (warwick slightly ahead of Bristol in that case but not by anything that will have an effect on studying there)

Insure Manchester or Birmingham (convenience), both these Unis are similar for computer science, possibly Manchester better in the international front but overall you'll get similar experiences from both, both big cities, decent student unions, societies.

A final set of tips, don't take league tables seriously, don't let the grades of an offer pressure you into firming or insuring it and don't make any stupid mistakes like me on results day and reject your insurance offer cuz you didn't get your firm.

Ps I am on a gap year now and also applying for Warwick/Birmingham where I've already gotten my grades and am just awaiting an offer of a place, so if you do end up in either one, feel free to PM me to see if I got into the same one as you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Vas87thRD
Hey, I have similar Uni's (Manchester, Birmingham, Warwick, Surrey, UCL), but I chose Warwick as my main choice. I didn't like Birmingham as a location of where to live, and similar to Manchester + London. Warwick's cool (btw, I'm from Russia, so making a big decision too! :smile:)

Thank you for sharing your preferences. Maybe we will be colleagues. :smile:

Original post by Thahleel
Firm Warwick or Bristol (Whatever is most convenient to you, remember convenience is important where you can't really distinguish the two in a quantifiable way), both these Unis will offer you practically the same academic content, same links with industry (+-), and similar research if you're into that (warwick slightly ahead of Bristol in that case but not by anything that will have an effect on studying there)

Insure Manchester or Birmingham (convenience), both these Unis are similar for computer science, possibly Manchester better in the international front but overall you'll get similar experiences from both, both big cities, decent student unions, societies.

A final set of tips, don't take league tables seriously, don't let the grades of an offer pressure you into firming or insuring it and don't make any stupid mistakes like me on results day and reject your insurance offer cuz you didn't get your firm.

Ps I am on a gap year now and also applying for Warwick/Birmingham where I've already gotten my grades and am just awaiting an offer of a place, so if you do end up in either one, feel free to PM me to see if I got into the same one as you :smile:

I will. Thank you for your extensive answer. You make my decision a little bit easier, but I still wait for more opinions. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending