The Student Room Group

Physics or engineering

Hi im studying in year 12 rn. I am taking Physics, Single Maths and Computer Science, as we are to choose our university preferences soon, I can not decide whether to choose physics or engineering, naturally I feel or perhaps I convinced myself that pure physics is better, however there arent as many job opportunities with it required. I also have a doubt if computer science will even come handy in case I take physics as opposed to robotics engineering and other engineering paths which include a lot of computer science stuff. I enjoy doing both physics and computer science, I absolutely love problem solving and yet here I am, not knowing what to do, please help with advice
Reply 1
i appreciated the advice to choose the thing you're excited about studying. you'll be waking up every day for at least three years, spending a large portion of your time doing that thing. so primarily you need to pick something you'll probably enjoy.

as for job opportunities, both physics and engineering have excellent career prospects. a job to do with pure physics (like in research) may be more difficult to get/have a lower salary - but there are other options. i've heard that financial companies love physics/maths graduates, especially for more senior or quantitative roles. or you could of course work in industry, which usually promises a high salary!

Quick Reply

Latest