The Student Room Group

Struggling to study

I reapplied to university and I'm currently on a gap year. I was given an offer but with an A* in further maths and a STEP offer. I'm finding it really difficult to motivate myself to prepare for these exams. How do you motivate yourself to study? Is anyone else in a similar situation?
Just remember why you want to spend the next few years studying maths.
Reply 2
bump, didn't want to make a new thread for something which is probably asked on here all of the time.
I'm on the edge of getting kicked out of my first year of sixth form (AS) due to my predicted grades being very low, almost entirely due to work not being handed in (the work which I have done is usually on target). If I fail all of my mocks, the situation will get much worse. I have my first batch of mocks coming up in two days and I've done no work for them; I never revised for GCSEs so I don't really know how to motivate myself, and although I've spent days sitting in here telling myself that I need to get something done, I end up doing everything that isn't work (like writing this post).
It doesn't help that I don't really have any ambition to be wildly successful, or have any plans for the future. I have no idea how you academics do it, but at the same time, there are hundreds of thousands of people like me. I just need to get something done, and I'm curious as to how all of you do.
Original post by XiuXiu
bump, didn't want to make a new thread for something which is probably asked on here all of the time.
I'm on the edge of getting kicked out of my first year of sixth form (AS) due to my predicted grades being very low, almost entirely due to work not being handed in (the work which I have done is usually on target). If I fail all of my mocks, the situation will get much worse. I have my first batch of mocks coming up in two days and I've done no work for them; I never revised for GCSEs so I don't really know how to motivate myself, and although I've spent days sitting in here telling myself that I need to get something done, I end up doing everything that isn't work (like writing this post).
It doesn't help that I don't really have any ambition to be wildly successful, or have any plans for the future. I have no idea how you academics do it, but at the same time, there are hundreds of thousands of people like me. I just need to get something done, and I'm curious as to how all of you do.

The OP is in a very different situation to you. They are a year 14 aiming for probably top maths universities.

Nevertheless, I will try to help you. Which subjects do you do? Do you enjoy them? To be honest, most of the work I do, I do for fun because I like my subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by morgan8002
The OP is in a very different situation to you. They are a year 14 aiming for probably top maths universities.

yeah, I realise that. My problems don't even relate to maths (fortunately for me) but 'study motivation' seemed like a wide enough topic for my post to fall into though. Sorry, I didn't really mean to change the focus of the thread.

Original post by morgan8002

Nevertheless, I will try to help you. Which subjects do you do? Do you enjoy them? To be honest, most of the work I do, I do for fun because I like my subjects.

I'm doing History, English Literature, Government and Politics and Economics. I enjoy the subject matter itself most of the time. Economics is more difficult than the others to me due to the fact that there are more calculations to learn, as opposed to being able to 'just write' (if you will) based on sources and prompts (i.e sources in history, personal interpretations in English, etc). Not by coincidence, I'm weakest in economics, and it will only get more difficult if I don't get it all figured out before the actual exams.

The most frustrating thing is that I probably wouldn't find it too difficult if I just dedicated a little time to working instead of refreshing the websites I regular and writing forum posts. The difficulty of the subjects isn't the problem, I'm just incredibly lazy. I wish liking the subjects was enough to block out the infinite distractions.
Original post by XiuXiu

I'm at A2 now but had the same issue as you at AS, but solved it. It came back again for A2, but i managed to solve it a few weeks ago and I am back into the flow of revision that got me good grades at AS. The issue was that for some reason, instead of revising I found myself on TSR reading forums about... having no motivation to revise haha. Or i'd spend useless amounts of time researching universities, forgetting that I actually need to work hard to get there. I just stopped and thought to myself, "I'm not going to let this slip now". Look, you have a good opportunity to get your future life off to a good start. Sitting around on TSR isn't going to get you anywhere. You (probably) won't be active on here in 30 years time when your A level grades might be affecting what you are doing, affecting your happiness in life. You need to think about the future, and whether what you are doing now is going to get you to where you want to be. You might not know what profession you want to work in, but I am sure that deep down you KNOW you want to be successful. Like you, i am a naturally lazy person but what helped me turn things around was by looking on the upside. You're going to be living for another 70+ years. A total of 5 months out of those 70 years is a tiny proportion and will make your life more enjoyable, trust me. 5 months or so to work hard... it's nothing, then you can relax throughout summer. Think about the future, what you want, and if this laziness will be worth it some years down the line.
Original post by XiuXiu
I'm doing History, English Literature, Government and Politics and Economics. I enjoy the subject matter itself most of the time. Economics is more difficult than the others to me due to the fact that there are more calculations to learn, as opposed to being able to 'just write' (if you will) based on sources and prompts (i.e sources in history, personal interpretations in English, etc). Not by coincidence, I'm weakest in economics, and it will only get more difficult if I don't get it all figured out before the actual exams.

The most frustrating thing is that I probably wouldn't find it too difficult if I just dedicated a little time to working instead of refreshing the websites I regular and writing forum posts. The difficulty of the subjects isn't the problem, I'm just incredibly lazy. I wish liking the subjects was enough to block out the infinite distractions.

Same, I found myself to be incredibly lazy now that I'm no longer at school and no one to chase me up on work! ...And when I do work I find myself taking my time, it's been so long since I was under timed pressure. :confused::confused:
Original post by lllllllllll
Same, I found myself to be incredibly lazy now that I'm no longer at school and no one to chase me up on work! ...And when I do work I find myself taking my time, it's been so long since I was under timed pressure. :confused::confused:

Well further maths shouldn't be too tricky, but for STEP, the time limit matters less because it's more about whether you can actually do the questions this stage. Worry about the time limit later. I don't even time myself for STEP yet.

Quick Reply

Latest