The Student Room Group

Do you need to be strong in C1 in order to understand C2?

My friend and I keep debating about this. She said you can't do C2 unless you fully understand C1. She's right in some sense but I think it's possible to still understand C2 even without necessarily doing C1. Unless C2 is a step up from C1 that requires a lot from it but I don't know...She may be right. If she's right then we're both screwed because it means both of us wouldn't understand C2 as we're still trying to go over C1 and make notes.
Reply 1
I'm sorry to say that C2 is largely based on C1 and in many cases it assumes C1 knowledge. The good thing is though that you are allowed to use a calculator (at least in edexcel) which makes it easier :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
In some things yes but mostly I'd say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by aersh8
I'm sorry to say that C2 is largely based on C1 and in many cases it assumes C1 knowledge. The good thing is though that you are allowed to use a calculator (at least in edexcel) which makes it easier :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I know topics such as algebra and functions, coordinate and geometry, sequences and series then differentiation and integration are all in C1 along with C2 but either than that...could someone learn the other topics without learning C1? Things such as the sine, cosine rule and the binomial expansion etc, I thought someone could just learn that. Especially the radian measure chapter? Or is this completely wrong?
Reply 4
Original post by MrJAKEE
In some things yes but mostly I'd say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, which things would you say yes and no to?
Reply 5
Original post by Cherry82
Cool, which things would you say yes and no to?

Things you won't be able to do in C2 if you can't do in C1 :
Integration
Sequences you might find a little hard
Differentiation
Co-ordinate geometry

Overall they are both quite easy modules so you'll be able to catch up quite nicely.. Just check out the videos on youtube such as hegartymaths + examsolutions on anything you don't understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Really? I know topics such as algebra and functions, coordinate and geometry, sequences and series then differentiation and integration are all in C1 along with C2 but either than that...could someone learn the other topics without learning C1? Things such as the sine, cosine rule and the binomial expansion etc, I thought someone could just learn that. Especially the radian measure chapter? Or is this completely wrong?

Yeah you can but that's probably just half the unit so you won't be able to get more than a D on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by MrJAKEE
Things you won't be able to do in C2 if you can't do in C1 :
Integration
Sequences you might find a little hard
Differentiation
Co-ordinate geometry

Overall they are both quite easy modules so you'll be able to catch up quite nicely.. Just check out the videos on youtube such as hegartymaths + examsolutions on anything you don't understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, thanks.
Reply 8
Original post by aersh8
Yeah you can but that's probably just half the unit so you won't be able to get more than a D on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

True but could someone still learn the other topics very well? I plan to try and learn the ones that don't require C1 very well then come back to the others once I've finished understanding c1.
Reply 9
True but could someone still learn the other topics very well? I plan to try and learn the ones that don't require C1 very well then come back to the others once I've finished understanding c1.

I guess you can but it may be harder

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by aersh8
I guess you can but it may be harder

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm, I see.

Quick Reply

Latest