The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Messed up my interview so badly, I kind of hope I get a re-interview, at least then the nerves won't be as bad...

Does anyone know, if they will update rejections on ucas before mon??
Original post by L'Evil Fish
But if they have good grades, good score and average interview... Seems to beat good grades and average interview

I guess so, but they're unlikely to be pooled in that scenario. Plus, with a test the day seems very long!- especially at King's (3 interview's +test)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
We had 4 Oxbridge applicants and two of us got interviews both for Cambridge. Last year two people got in and they were first ones in ages so pressure is on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh except for us it was like 4/5 oxbridge last yr, 1 got in and that was the first since the school started lol...
Original post by AlphaAlchemist
I guess so, but they're unlikely to be pooled in that scenario. Plus, with a test the day seems very long!- especially at King's (3 interview's +test)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but the best will get in. And if there's a large number of those, then they'll get in over me and others
Original post by suzanamarieXD
New question: what do you guys say when someone tell you they've been rejected? I wanna ask some Oxford friends what their outcome was but don't know what to say if they didn't get in..!

Just be like: "oh man, sorry to hear, im sure ull be fine with the rest of ur unis. At least u got the interview, even that in itself is a gr8 achievement that barely anyone has a chance to experience. And gd luck" u get the point. Just make it reassuring and soft and calm.
Reply 1025
Original post by suzanamarieXD
New question: what do you guys say when someone tell you they've been rejected? I wanna ask some Oxford friends what their outcome was but don't know what to say if they didn't get in..!

My plan is just to say "ah, Im sorry, that sucks" then I won't talk about it anymore unless they wanted to or brought it up
Original post by Renee8100
Just got called for interview at another college... :argh: really did not want this to happen :frown:

I know this is a long shot but does anyone know if I've now been removed from the pool or can I be called for interview at another college? Or am I still in the pool and could hypothetically get an offer for another college on Saturday? (Unlikely but I don't know desperate right now).

I believe you're out now. Be confident: you ARE Cambs material!
Original post by dancinginglitter
Woah, doing the same subject must be hard! But I guess you can help each other out with studying?! Which colleges? Did you apply for the same one?!!? My brother isn't gonna be here when we receive the letters so I"m going to have to open his after mine and then tell him over the phone... Oh the nerves! :s-smilie:

Haha It's actually quite helpful since my teachers are so crap if we're both ever confused on something we can ask each other:tongue:
Ahhh opening two letters- double the nerves! Good luck nevertheless:smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah, but the best will get in. And if there's a large number of those, then they'll get in over me and others

Aren't we ranked by UMS anyway? Then GCSEs, then interview score. They can't rank us on test score (since not all have sat one). The tests probably won't have an impact when comparing two candidates where one has sat a test and the other hasn't, but may have a small impact when comparing two candidates where both have sat a test. Also, I don't have source for this but I'm pretty sure that's the case since on the website they try to promote fairness with applications to different colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got called for interview at another college... :argh: really did not want this to happen :frown:

I know this is a long shot but does anyone know if I've now been removed from the pool or can I be called for interview at another college? Or am I still in the pool and could hypothetically get an offer for another college on Saturday? (Unlikely but I don't know desperate right now).

I think you're out of the pool now. But don't lost hope! You now have a half chance of going to Cambridge, much higher than those which don't get the chance to be reinterviewed.

What course was it and what college have you been pooled from and to?
Original post by AlphaAlchemist
Aren't we ranked by UMS anyway? Then GCSEs, then interview score. They can't rank us on test score (since not all have sat one). The tests probably won't have an impact when comparing two candidates where one has sat a test and the other hasn't, but may have a small impact when comparing two candidates where both have sat a test. Also, I don't have source for this but I'm pretty sure that's the case since on the website they try to promote fairness with applications to different colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope this is the case :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Hey do you know whether your friend is bio or phys and is he from the UK? Apologies for being intrusive - I'm genuinely worried :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physical - yeah we're from Manchester!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
What was his original college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

St. Catz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jessb_3125
Physical - yeah we're from Manchester!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, best of luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
Haha It's actually quite helpful since my teachers are so crap if we're both ever confused on something we can ask each other:tongue:
Ahhh opening two letters- double the nerves! Good luck nevertheless:smile:

Aha yeah that must be useful... I have been told that we are the first siblings in the history of our school (it is VERY old) to apply to oxbridge at the same time haha... the pressure!
My interviews were horrendous, but if an applicant were to receive a pool offer, would the envelope/email be from the new or original college?
Original post by Minerva
Never thought it was :smile: We can't know how many of those people got offers relative to the numbers who applied, because Cambridge don't publish their data in that way. We also can't know how many of those applicants may have been pooled and what happened to them if they were. The TSR poolee group in terms of numbers was about 10% of the total - but not representative across all course and colleges - and not everyone declared where they were from.

Yes, because they wanted to test how you think, not your knowledge. This is not an uncommon interview tactic. The problem all applicants to Cambridge have is that they are competing with thousands of others who also have a top-notch reference, a great PS, and wonderful actual or predicted grades. One of the many purposes of the interview is to test all of that and see some of the real person and potential behind the paper. Cambridge themselves say that a large majority of those who are unsuccessful after interview *could* have cut the mustard there. In the end they are making very fine judgements in order to differentiate between applicants, and the results can sometimes seem odd to the rest of us. I don't disagree that re-applying with your actual grades may give you a better chance of success (though it won't on its own; you would have to strengthen your application in other ways too) - but it can be for any candidate, because predictions are just that, whether for A levels or IB or anything else. I genuinely do not believe that Cambridge admissions tutors use the exam system an applicant comes from as a tie-breaker, but at the same time freely admit that I have no insider knowledge :smile:.

As I mentioned I followed the thread for a long time last year and when it came to the pool, it all came down to UMS scores with regard to auto pooling and success with other colleges. I am not talking about the interview procedure. I understand that questions are asked to stretch an applicant to see how he/she reacts and I managed to deal with these, but I think it was unfair to ask questions on topics which had not yet been covered by the French system. A little more attention to such details would demonstrate a better understanding of different systems and the sequence in which subjects are taught.

As you say, from the statistics, and from your own knowledge we will never know to what extent candidates chances are reduced by not having some solid exams behind them to demonstrate their ability. This is the point I was making, I am not suggesting that the exam system itself can jeopordize one's chances, rather that the lack of exam results (ie UMS scores) CAN!! And some people seemed to have grasped this. I am not talking about my own situation with regard to re applying as I actually finished up talking a course which has turned out to be excellent, I am advising anybody who comes from a similar situation and gets rejected that their chances may be increased if they reapply once they have some exam results to demonstrate their capabilities. Voilà!! :smile:

I've just read on the cambridge website that when you get invited for interview from another college your application gets marked with an 'I'. I presume this means that you're still in the pool otherwise why would they bother doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Depends how low the 80 something UMS is. If it's high 80 (say >87) and the interview is an 8 then go with that candidate.
People with very high UMS (97+) can, and do, get rejected...

I totally agree but I am talking about the chances of being autopooled and/or being fished by another college in which the UMS score is very much an issue. The interview itself is not what I am referring to and you have missed the point.:smile:
Original post by lululemons
My interviews were horrendous, but if an applicant were to receive a pool offer, would the envelope/email be from the new or original college?

PRETTY SURE it would be from the original college saying 'we did not give you an offer but x college did' - and then maybe something else from the other college ?

Latest

Trending

Trending