The Student Room Group

English A1 presentations

Serious issues with lack of guidance with the presentation, now it's looming... would love to hear any ideas about what works [and what deffinatley doesn't.]

I'm edgy about attempting humour, nothing worse than failing on that front, and not too keen on drama, more of a public speaking kind of angle...

Well anyroad, any suggestions would be amazing.

Thanks.
we had a strict system at our school where u had to talk about either a short story a poetry selection or these random monologues, then we sat in a small room and talked to two teachers lol it sucked.
andy_cole2
we had a strict system at our school where u had to talk about either a short story a poetry selection or these random monologues, then we sat in a small room and talked to two teachers lol it sucked.

there are two types of presentations (two diff papers).....which one are you talking abt?

SHABBA!!
Are you talking about the Individual Oral Commentary (recorded) or the Individual Oral Presentation (not recorded)?

I find the IOP a lot more relaxed because obviously there's not this tape recorder rolliing right beside you. If it's the recorded IOC, don't attempt humour. Examiners have no sense of humour when it comes to a literature commentary. Humour might be fine in a Lang B oral but in Lit, stick to speaking about the extract you're given.

I'll assume you're talking about the IOP since you said presentation. Know your speech inside out. I mean really know it. Take in your notes with you but know what you're talking about really well. Use quotes, lots of them.
But also don't make it sound memorised. try sometimes to develop your point in improvised words, phrases. This way you sound more analytical and mature in your approach. (Oral Presentation)

Also, dont try go through your given extract in chronological order, my advice to u would be that you should base your paragraphs on literary techniques or themes or some key ideas. In this way your approach again would show more analysis and understanding. (for both Presentation and Commentary)
not recorded, my bad :p:
yeah, dont make it sound too rehearsed. jsut know your points well. and what meta said about not speaking in chronological order.

since you know what you're going to be talking about in the presentation, try to predict a bit the types of questions you're going to be asked afterwards and perhaps prepare for them. obviously you can't know what you're going to be asked but be flexible regarding answering questions afterwards.
Reply 7
i'm guessing that you're talking about the oral presentation and not the taped commentary.

hmm. I did mine of Margaret Atwood's 'Torture'.
i suppose the best piece of advice that i can give you is to really really really know your presentation well. i probably rehearsed mine over fifteen times. and well, be confident! haha especially during the time when your classmates/teacher asks you questions--even if you don't really know the answer, if you LOOK like you do, it really does make all the difference :smile:

haha good luck and have fun with it!
Hmmm.... that's hard... I automatically went for a monologue (Moira in Atwood's "A Handmaid's Tale") and I got close to full marks... it was a full on oral commentary where I played the role of Moira with references to her feminism, etc.

But if you're not into that sort of thing... these are some of the other presentations I remember:

A monologue - a letter written by the character - worked quite well (25/30)

An analysis of the themes in relation to cultural setting of the work (24/30)

An interview with the author (Maya Angelou) where the student acted as both the interviewer and the author which was quite tricky (24/30)

An analysis of the role between a minor and major character in the novel (25/30)

An analysis of the significance of the symbolism of food in 'Like Water For Chocolate) - Laura Esquivel (not sure of the grade, sorry)

A court scene where some of the characters were accused of being guilty and the case was presented. VERY GOOD! (30/30) Freaky.

If it's a commentary however, just be very sequential if you can, depending if it's an excerpt from Macbeth, poetry or stories. Sometimes it works to go in order of imagery, themes, etc.

Anyways, good luck! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending