The Student Room Group

How to study Maths (GCSE) with bad teacher ?

Hello,
I want to study maths at A-Level but at the end of year 10 my maths teacher left and he was good at teaching and could control the class anyway he left so we got a new teacher in year 11. My class now do not behave properly and he is not the best at controlling the class and he also can't teach, trust me this is why most of my class dont pay attention which makes it harder. Anyway im really upset because im good at science and also want to continue that at A-Level but im worried about University if I go that i will need maths. Its because we started Higher Maths at February in year 10 but then after that our teacher left and said we will finish higher off with a new teacher in year 11 but we have only done like 4 topics and an entire term has gone :L . I don't know what to do any more how do i revise for higher topics i find it hard learning it on my own i need to be taught a bit . I cant really tell a teacher so what should I do , I want a grade A please give me ideas any good revision sources and places, worksheet etc. Thanks :smile:

Also my class dont understand the work and he just skips to the next one & we dont even learn to like a A grade, & the maths paper was so hard for the higher sets ?? Im at a B at the moment thanks to my old teacher hellpp :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, talk to your parents about getting a maths tutor who can help you after school on weekdays. Also, you could try buying books where they will teach you GCSE maths and you can also try to answer questions and learn from the mistakes you're making! There are also lots of online youtube videos for GCSE maths teaching you different maths concepts. I took my GCSEs last year and I found the videos very helpful! If you're willing to put all the effort in which I can see you are, you'll have no problem getting an A! If you're maths teachers won't help, try talking the head of maths or deputy head teacher about his teaching and how you're struggling and they should help you:smile: hope I've helped a bit:smile: good luck with your GCSE's!
PM Me with any topics your stuck with. Ill be happy to help =]
Reply 3
use exam solutions/mathswatch cd....it got me the a*
Original post by Cinna21
Hello,
I want to study maths at A-Level but at the end of year 10 my maths teacher left and he was good at teaching and could control the class anyway he left so we got a new teacher in year 11. My class now do not behave properly and he is not the best at controlling the class and he also can't teach, trust me this is why most of my class dont pay attention which makes it harder. Anyway im really upset because im good at science and also want to continue that at A-Level but im worried about University if I go that i will need maths. Its because we started Higher Maths at February in year 10 but then after that our teacher left and said we will finish higher off with a new teacher in year 11 but we have only done like 4 topics and an entire term has gone :L . I don't know what to do any more how do i revise for higher topics i find it hard learning it on my own i need to be taught a bit . I cant really tell a teacher so what should I do , I want a grade A please give me ideas any good revision sources and places, worksheet etc. Thanks :smile:

Also my class dont understand the work and he just skips to the next one & we dont even learn to like a A grade, & the maths paper was so hard for the higher sets ?? Im at a B at the moment thanks to my old teacher hellpp :smile:

Your best bet will be getting a maths tutor. Anyway as always past papers will do the trick. Also go the extra mile because what i have seen is that teachers set homework to a particular task and students often do that task without realising that they should go the extra mile. Hence they complain when they sit their maths exam without knowing to answer some of the questions. In maths it is always useful to be ahead of the game because your teacher may not have time to cover all the essential topics. To add to this you should take every bit of help you are given for example go to booster classes etc. Maths is a subject were practice is needed and without that it will be unlikely for you to succeed. And last but not least you should use Mathswatch.
I think the best option would be to be self-dependent and learn yourself.
That's what I do, from November I had started and I've done half of the gcse maths syllabus and got it in my head :smile:.
Just, some questions and rules and topics I forget, I've got 5 months left, taking it in year 10.
Today, first mock think I will get 70%, results on Monday. Just more revising alone, our new teacher is tracking js transformations... Even though we don't want to learn it, still it helped me in my mock today only 1 part still 1 mark can be a difference between an A and an A*. Always remember this and work had yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Chittesh14
I think the best option would be to be self-dependent and learn yourself.
That's what I do, from November I had started and I've done half of the gcse maths syllabus and got it in my head :smile:.
Just, some questions and rules and topics I forget, I've got 5 months left, taking it in year 10.
Today, first mock think I will get 70%, results on Monday. Just more revising alone, our new teacher is tracking js transformations... Even though we don't want to learn it, still it helped me in my mock today only 1 part still 1 mark can be a difference between an A and an A*. Always remember this and work had yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for help everyone but also where did you get the syllabus from can you please send me a list of the topics it would be really appreciated, thanks :smile:
Well, what I did is first of all, ask your maths teacher, what exam board you are doing for maths and if you are doing modular or linear.
My bro already knew it so he ordered my book already.
I'm doing mathematics gcse at edexcel, linear course so mathematics A.
So, I've got the book and it shows the entire syllabus in the book, every topic that can come up in the exam.
Therefore, I've revised nearly every single one which gives me an advantage of getting the grade which I want - A*.
Here is a picture of my bookImageUploadedByStudent Room1420903176.440891.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest