The Student Room Group

I feel like my A-Levels are too soft

I'm halfway through my AS Levels in the first year and I've come to the realisation that my subjects may be too soft...

I've taken Sociology, English Language and Graphics Design.

It was only about a month ago for the first time I seriously considered going to uni, but I want go to a good one. Since my A-Levels are too soft, I feel like I have less chance of going to a good uni since none are 'respected' subjects.

I feel like I've messed up now. :frown:
Reply 1
You're fine depending what route you want to take. For a graphics or D.T course you would be fine I would think. English Language is a traditional subject, sociology probably considered a poor man's biology but probably accepted by all courses and graphics is probably not wanted on more academic courses but good for graphics/DT courses
Reply 2
Original post by Flather
You're fine depending what route you want to take. For a graphics or D.T course you would be fine I would think. English Language is a traditional subject, sociology probably considered a poor man's biology but probably accepted by all courses and graphics is probably not wanted on more academic courses but good for graphics/DT courses

Apparently English Language isn't a good traditional subject. It's a shame I didn't pick another academic subject instead of Graphics Design because I really don't like that class but I can't drop it as I was only allowed to choose 3 A-Levels.
I originally chose different kinds of subjects because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but I know I don't want to go to uni just to do a less academic course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cookieqt
I'm halfway through my AS Levels in the first year and I've come to the realisation that my subjects may be too soft...

It was only about a month ago for the first time I seriously considered going to uni, but I want go to a good one. Since my A-Levels are too soft, I feel like I have less chance of going to a good uni since none are 'respected' subjects.

I think it's late to change now, but there's always next year, you can choose to drop/pick up AS/A Levels. There's no rush to get to university unless you want to, there's always the option of a gap year.
Reply 4
Original post by H.Ibrahim
I think it's late to change now, but there's always next year, you can choose to drop/pick up AS/A Levels. There's no rush to get to university unless you want to, there's always the option of a gap year.

That's true. I think I'll finish them off this year and bring up dropping Graphics and Sociology for next year. I feel more optimistic now aha.
That's true. I think I'll finish them off this year and bring up dropping Graphics and Sociology for next year. I feel more optimistic now aha.

Happy to help :smile:

LOL, I thought this was going to be one of those TSR troll thread in where you state you do FM,Maths, Physics and chemistry and think they are soft.
Yes, you do have no facilitating subjects. But, it really depends on the subject you want to do at uni. Do you have any ideas?
Reply 8
Original post by loperdoper
Yes, you do have no facilitating subjects. But, it really depends on the subject you want to do at uni. Do you have any ideas?

I'm still not too sure but an idea is something to do with the housing market which interests me. But yeah, it's pretty vague. It was a new idea that came to me once I already started my A-Levels.
I'm still not too sure but an idea is something to do with the housing market which interests me. But yeah, it's pretty vague. It was a new idea that came to me once I already started my A-Levels.

Hmm...
Are you thinking along the lines of a Marketing degree? Or something more sociological, like Social Policy: Housing and Communities at Birmingham? Or do you mean something like an estate agent?

Some other courses that may be of interest:
Cardiff Met - Supported Housing
Portsmouth - Property Development
Oxford Brookes - Planning and Property Development
Kingston - Real Estate Management
Westminster - Real Estate
Urban Studies - Manchester/Sheffield

From what I can see, none of the courses ask for any one specific subject, just a range of grades from about BCC to ABB, so you should be fine on that count.
Reply 10
Original post by loperdoper
Hmm...
Are you thinking along the lines of a Marketing degree? Or something more sociological, like Social Policy: Housing and Communities at Birmingham? Or do you mean something like an estate agent?

Some other courses that may be of interest:
Cardiff Met - Supported Housing
Portsmouth - Property Development
Oxford Brookes - Planning and Property Development
Kingston - Real Estate Management
Westminster - Real Estate
Urban Studies - Manchester/Sheffield

From what I can see, none of the courses ask for any one specific subject, just a range of grades from about BCC to ABB, so you should be fine on that count.

Sorry for the super late reply! I think mainly Marketing interests me more than the social side (but especially the Property Development courses which really stand out to me).

I'm about halfway through my first AS this year and I only recently started thinking about uni so I'm not sure specifically what I would need and I picked my A-Level subjects just because they interested me. I feel like such a newbie with everything.

But anyway the last paragraph is really reassuring, and the links are really helpful so thank you very much!
Sorry for the super late reply! I think mainly Marketing interests me more than the social side (but especially the Property Development courses which really stand out to me).

I'm about halfway through my first AS this year and I only recently started thinking about uni so I'm not sure specifically what I would need and I picked my A-Level subjects just because they interested me. I feel like such a newbie with everything.

But anyway the last paragraph is really reassuring, and the links are really helpful so thank you very much!

Glad I could help! I mostly found all those courses by typing in "housing" into both Unistats and the UCAS search tool. WhatUni is also good for these kind of things.

It's the opportune time for you to be thinking about university courses. Applying may seem like a long way away but you will be expected to start your UCAS application around early September (I had to start my application in late June), so the sooner you start finding courses that appeal to you the better.
Reply 12

hey,
i don't know a lot but I wouldn't worry about your a levels being too soft, I'm doing a btec In agriculture, yet I applied for real estate at reading, Nottingham trent, Oxford brooks, Cirencester and Aberdeen. And I recieved all 5 offers !! I'm not sure, but I think a lot goes of your statement,
good luck !
Reply 13
Original post by claud19
hey,
i don't know a lot but I wouldn't worry about your a levels being too soft, I'm doing a btec In agriculture, yet I applied for real estate at reading, Nottingham trent, Oxford brooks, Cirencester and Aberdeen. And I recieved all 5 offers !! I'm not sure, but I think a lot goes of your statement,
good luck !

Thank you! :smile:
Thank you! :smile:

I took 'soft a-levels' compared to my friends, eng lit (AS), geography, law and PE which are considered easy options by many. Im about to sit my A2s and got AAAB last year. I've applied to Reading, Harper adams and Royal Ag Uni (cirencester) for rural land management which is a rural branch of real estate and the only thing my universities seem to care about is my grades rather than subject. 3 offers and 2 unconditional! I would worry less about subjects and more about grades :smile:
just get really good grades in them and unis can't turn you down.. unless you want to study maths?
I think you will be okay when it comes to universities. But I think honesty is key - if you're considering top universities you'll be inclined to pick up at least 2 traditional subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest