The Student Room Group

Need help picking out my first car!

Well the title says it all really, i'm coming near the end of my lessons with my instructor and i am looking for my first car, the car i currently drive is a 2011 Peugeot 1.6 Diesel(instructors car), I actually really adore this car and after driving it for all this time it has been very enjoyable resulting in me wanting one, however the one he has cost him £7000 and that's out of my budget, i'm looking for a car that is between £1500 and £4500. I would rather spend money on my first car and get some quality rather than buy a 'shed on wheels', some people choose not to but i do, and yes i'm aware of the insurance costs. So i was looking at some of the older models, maybe i could find a 2010 version of the car stated previous, but i want to keep my options open and this is where you guys come in :biggrin: So some of the criteria for the car i wish would be: Diesel engine, driving both diesel and petrol prefer diesel. 5 door if possible, newish car, preferably a 1.2 and higher, driving a 1.6 i'm used the the power it can produce and feel comfortable with it and lastly low cost on insurance ill have both my parents on there who have never claimed on their insurance which would help of course but nothing to high. Not to be rude, but if you're going to suggest about getting a cheaper car or a petrol car i simply won't listen because iv'e thought long and hard about this and the criteria iv'e set is what would be my ideal first car, thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Richpeasant
Well the title says it all really, i'm coming near the end of my lessons with my instructor and i am looking for my first car, the car i currently drive is a 2011 Peugeot 1.6 Diesel(instructors car), I actually really adore this car and after driving it for all this time it has been very enjoyable resulting in me wanting one, however the one he has cost him £7000 and that's out of my budget, i'm looking for a car that is between £1500 and £4500. I would rather spend money on my first car and get some quality rather than buy a 'shed on wheels', some people choose not to but i do, and yes i'm aware of the insurance costs. So i was looking at some of the older models, maybe i could find a 2010 version of the car stated previous, but i want to keep my options open and this is where you guys come in :biggrin: So some of the criteria for the car i wish would be: Diesel engine, driving both diesel and petrol prefer diesel. 5 door if possible, newish car, preferably a 1.2 and higher, driving a 1.6 i'm used the the power it can produce and feel comfortable with it and lastly low cost on insurance ill have both my parents on there who have never claimed on their insurance which would help of course but nothing to high. Not to be rude, but if you're going to suggest about getting a cheaper car or a petrol car i simply won't listen because iv'e thought long and hard about this and the criteria iv'e set is what would be my ideal first car, thanks in advance!

Go for the ford fiesta diesel...my friend bought one as a first car they're safe, cheap to run and relatively nippy....
Reply 2
Original post by Richpeasant
Not to be rude, but if you're going to suggest about getting a cheaper car or a petrol car i simply won't listen because iv'e thought long and hard about this and the criteria iv'e set is what would be my ideal first car, thanks in advance!

Your budget of £4500 isnt exactly high. Likewise; Insurance is probabley going to be pretty expensive for anything with much power.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending