The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Trevelyan College!

HI

After a lot of hesitation I chose to apply to trevelyan college.
Please say a lot of nice things about it to convince me I made a good decision!:biggrin: No, just kidding, just tell me what it is like.
(I have been looking and I must say there are relatively few threads abt it?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Trevs is hexy!
It has a lovely bar, a flute choir (or something), lots of societes and is apparently a really good community.
I also heard the Buttery manager was awesome...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
It's ace.
Reply 3
it's awesome - the freshers' tshirts this year were by all accounts the best design in history...
arkbar
Trevs is hexy!
It has a lovely bar, a flute choir (or something), lots of societes and is apparently a really good community.

It also has a Jazz Band, as one of my Aidan's friends(now a postgraduate yet oddly he's younger than me but hey) played in the Trevs Jazz Band.

It occasionally has quite rare ales on too, although you've got more pumps in Mildert which is just about a minute's walk up the hill.

Trevs isn't a bad college, apart from one bad experience with them that I had which involved them taking my campus card off me(to enter the bar) and then losing it and I didn't get it back until two days later.:mad: But asides from that the shop near the bar is also good if you need a packet of Steak McCoys and the electronic jukebox almost instantaneously plays your selections.:smile:
Reply 5
It's great, good choice. :cool:
Reply 6
oh..and I forgot to ask. HOW IS THE FOOD??
Reply 7
Breakfast : Toast, cereal, porridge, tea, coffee etc. Lots of stuff. On Weds, there's also bacon or sausage. Pretty good.

Lunch : There's a couple of hot options + a build your own sandwich. Deserts are nice, usually. Loads of snack stuff you can pick up and take back to your room, too (I have a stockpile of penguins and Alpen bars). Usually alright, can seem a bit unfulfilling (not in quantitiy, but in taste) sometimes.

Dinner : Hot options, soup. Usually very nice, some days better than others.

Sundays are Brunch, which is a fry up. It's great if you've been being active in the morning, or hungover from the night before :biggrin: Always awesome

At dinner and lunch you also have the salad bar which is actually really, really good - loads of choice and very fresh.

On the whole it's a lot of carbs, but there's plenty of opportunity for variety.

Oh, and the toastie bar rocks :wink:
Reply 8
blablabla
oh..and I forgot to ask. HOW IS THE FOOD??

The catering manager does well for the budget she is given
Trevs claims to make all their own food, rather than buying in "ready-meals" of any form, and they also claim they are the only college to do so.

The biggest problem with any college food is the budget, not the capabilities of the chefs.

When they are given a decent budget to work with (such as for a ball or conference) the food is amazing.

Aidans on the other hand, managed to serve burgers, chips and beans with a doughnut for dessert on an open day I helped out at recently. It tasted ok, but it can't have impressed the parents much. I don't think the department running the open day were that happy.
dave134

Aidans on the other hand, managed to serve burgers, chips and beans with a doughnut for dessert on an open day I helped out at recently. It tasted ok, but it can't have impressed the parents much. I don't think the department running the open day were that happy.

Aidan's food is rubbish beyond belief unless it is the Summer Ball!!
Reply 10
Oh that sounds good then, I stayed at Aidans on a summer school and wasn't impressed by the food to say the least but I want to go to Trevs and I'm really glad to here they have food they make themselves rather than ready meanls yay. Was I right in thinking Trevs had a cocktail bar?
Reply 11
On certain event nights there is a cocktail "bar." More just a wee stall that will sell cocktails and shooters and stuff.
Reply 12
the food sounds great. I'm also relly pleased to hear that they make the food themselves.:smile:
And by the way, how long does it take to walk from the college to the science site? and how long to the city center?
Reply 13
5 minutes and 15 minutes respectively.
Try 7 and 20, but it's all down hill (it's the getting back that's the problem, lol).

The food is good, but I know they don't make the Alpen Bars (plus occasionally they buy in cakes which come in plastic trays and are all dried out) and somethimes the food can be very rich.

We have formals once a fortnight (which you have to sign up for on Trev's brilliant homepage - which has everything you will ever need to know posted on it) and are one of the few colleges to wear gowns to the university matriculation service.

Trev's is VERY friendly and the fact that even the landings are hexagonal means that you get to know people extremely quickly. Some might consider the 'mixed' landings + bathroom situation a problem though however, this hasn't really been an issue for me.

We have an excellent support system in college and it means that you always have someone to talk to if you need it. Pastoral care couldn't be better.

You may have to share a room 1 term out of 3 in your first year, there are no ensuits for first years and the kitchens can be tiny. However, most rooms have a sink, large wardrobes and inbuilt bookcases. Most of the rooms used by students are all contained within Trevs main building (Trevs is not spilt into several buildings like some of the colleges as it is quite a small college).

We have good recreational facilities (tennis/basketball court, indoor badmington court etc) and 'the barn' houses most of Trev's - very brilliant! - music groups, as well as serving as a place for quiet contemplation.

Our library is also good, although this year they are trialing a 3 week loans period on all their books (which is shorter than in most other colleges).

All in all, Trevs will steal your heart within a matter or days, I believe that for a hill college there is no other choice!!
Reply 15
BlanchedAlmonds

We are one of the few colleges to wear gowns to the university matriculation service.

Most colleges do!
Reply 16
BlanchedAlmonds
Try 7 and 20, but it's all down hill (it's the getting back that's the problem, lol).

The food is good, but I know they don't make the Alpen Bars (plus occasionally they buy in cakes which come in plastic trays and are all dried out) and somethimes the food can be very rich.

We have formals once a fortnight (which you have to sign up for on Trev's brilliant homepage - which has everything you will ever need to know posted on it) and are one of the few colleges to wear gowns to the university matriculation service.

Trev's is VERY friendly and the fact that even the landings are hexagonal means that you get to know people extremely quickly. Some might consider the 'mixed' landings + bathroom situation a problem though however, this hasn't really been an issue for me.

We have an excellent support system in college and it means that you always have someone to talk to if you need it. Pastoral care couldn't be better.

You may have to share a room 1 term out of 3 in your first year, there are no ensuits for first years and the kitchens can be tiny. However, most rooms have a sink, large wardrobes and inbuilt bookcases. Most of the rooms used by students are all contained within Trevs main building (Trevs is not spilt into several buildings like some of the colleges as it is quite a small college).

We have good recreational facilities (tennis/basketball court, indoor badmington court etc) and 'the barn' houses most of Trev's - very brilliant! - music groups, as well as serving as a place for quiet contemplation.

Our library is also good, although this year they are trialing a 3 week loans period on all their books (which is shorter than in most other colleges).

All in all, Trevs will steal your heart within a matter or days, I believe that for a hill college there is no other choice!!

Who are you, mystery Trevelyanite?
Reply 17
ALL trevs' live-in undergrads can reach eachothers rooms without putting their shoes on - FACT
Reply 18
This all sounds great. I was considering applying to another college aswell as I still have one choice left in my ucas form..however I am starting to think that that wont be necesarry.
But how many people share how many showers/wc. And who cleans the bathrooms etc? and how often.. Initially I refused to even think about colleges that couldnt offer ensuite rooms to first years. But then Trevelyan caught my attention, and it seems so nice. I really like the idea of landings instead of long depressing corridors. the problem was the shared bathrooms.But my mum told be to stop acting like a spoilt brat and learn to share:redface: So I applied to trevelyan:biggrin:
Reply 19
6 to a shower and toilet roughly

cleaners clean them about 1/2ce a week

Quick Reply

Latest